• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Satellite K frame

William

Local time
9:16 AM
Reaction score
I have a 72 satellite Sebring that had a 318. To put a 440 into it do I need to change the K frame? Someone told me you dont on a 72 is this correct?

You can use the same K frame just need big block mounts

Larry

Yhttp://www.engine-swaps.com/IMGs/Banners/HomeBanner.png You can get everything you need here

You can use the same K frame just need big block mounts

Larry

Larry, Is this true of the 73-74 Satellite also? I need to ask because someone said in another place that 71-74 had to be changed to do it ( K-Frames), id just like to get it correct. thanks....

71/2 same frame for both SB and BB
73/4 is different than 71/2 and also has a SB and a BB frame.
OP can use BB mounts from 66-72B, 70-1E and 66-72C

So far, good info on the Engine-Swaps link. There was also a difference in the inner-fender on the passenger side. I think the BB cars had a cut-out, covered by a rubber flap. I have a 74 that was a 318, that now has a 383. Wish they put that cut-out in there! Very tight for plugs and headers!

Scotts, I bought a big block K frame since the previous owner hacked up the K member to put a big block in. I will have it blasted and powder coated.
But Schumacher makes the motor mounts to convert SB to BB.
It is easy to cutout the inner fender from the wheel side.
I have the dimensions on the cutout on PDF if you need it. Just send me your email address and I will send out.
Bought the large rubber flap from year one and I can now change the plugs.
Ralph

Scotts, I bought a big block K frame since the previous owner hacked up the K member to put a big block in. I will have it blasted and powder coated.
But Schumacher makes the motor mounts to convert SB to BB.
It is easy to cutout the inner fender from the wheel side.
I have the dimensions on the cutout on PDF if you need it. Just send me your email address and I will send out.
Bought the large rubber flap from year one and I can now change the plugs.
Ralph

could you send me that .pdf file Ralph? Would be much appreciated, have a friend wanting that for his conversion.

thanks

That would be a great thing to put in to a tech article thread sticky. as I will be needing that info also but I'm at least a year away from being ready

Heres the BB fender well

Attachments

• Fender well 73-4B BB.jpg
    Fender well 73-4B BB.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 282
  • Fender well 73-4B BB 2.jpg
    Fender well 73-4B BB 2.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 273
Those are great photos of the inner fender wells moparmarks.
wish i had them those pieces before i made my cutout.
Thanks ralph

ohmyholyhell!

I had a 74' with a 400...I forgot how much of the inner fender was cut out! I would think that would be a big weak spot for the front end with that much cut away...again, wow!

Check out Schumacker motor mounts. They make specific mounts for this type of swap. They're not cheap ~$200. Still cheaper than a new k though.

Auto Transport Service
Back