• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Saving classic rims.

gdrill

Just enjoying "B"-ing here
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:44 PM
Reaction score
Stuck in the past, just North of Montana....
I have a few sets of vintage rims that have the chrome peeling off on the aluminum sections. This happens to most aluminum / steel combo rims. The steel rim is almost always still in good shape. So I thought I would show how I saved this set of rims with a slight customization. For the most part, once the chrome is peeling it will strip off very easily. Using a razor blade and careful glass bead blasting to smooth off the corrosion cleaned them up nicely. I masked them prior to blasting in order to protect the steel as well. Then I primed them and painted them with "Cast blast". They turned out very nice in my opinion. Just thought I would share this.

Sad sight
IMG_2041.jpg

Chrome peeled with razor blades
IMG_2042.jpg

Glass bead blasted
IMG_2044.jpg

Masked and painted
IMG_2046.jpg

Saved a set of classic rims!
IMG_2047.jpg

My all-time favorite wheel, and you have done a spectacular job ! They look great !

if you want them to look original strip the chrome as you done then just polish the aluminum.but your way looks better

Thank you all's! I'm glad you like them. I never even thought of polishing the aluminum. Good idea. More maintenance I would think, but like you said they would look like original. I know most here are like me and love the old classic stuff and also hate to see things go to waste due to cosmetics. This is just an example of how to give something a new lease on life!

Auto Transport Service
Back