• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scored a vintage tire changer today!

YY1

Local time
10:43 PM
Reaction score
Picked this up from my favorite scrap yard-

American Auto Salvage in De Bary FL

Saw it last time I was there, but couldn't get back until this weekend.

Owner said he thought it worked, but we couldn't test it.

$75

Got it home and it didn't work :(

But after poking around, I found the air line tee for the main unit and inflation hose was blocked.

10 minutes :)

Already dismounted one!

Atlas brand, no idea how old, but I'll be researching.

Oddly, it specifically says it does 16" and 17" wheels !?!

IMG_20140322_164242.jpg IMG_20140322_164254.jpg

Last edited:
I had one of those and used it for years ! Good machine as long as you watch what your doing !

Right on, great tool to have. I have a manual changer and would love to have yours. :)

16 and 17.5 were common enough truck tire sizes back when that machine was probably made.

Dismounted several tires today.

I think it's darn near paid for it's self already!

I even dismounted a 15x8 factory alloy 1980 truck wheel.

Wasn't fun, but it did it. Had to flip it over so the top clamp broke both beads, and also rotate 180*, so four operations.

I doubt I'll try my 17x9s.

I need to get an old truck inner tube to make a soft cover for the rim clamp arm.
Got lucky today, but I can see that potentially being a real "aw, man" moment.

- - - Updated - - -

...and I re-learned REAL fast about what happens to the rotating bar once the bead comes off the rim!!

Now to get a soap bucket and try mounting some.

check out meyerstiresupply dot com.see if there is a supplyer near you.great place to get prof tire stuff.we use there stuff here at the shop.

Looks like the one we had here at the Chevy truck plant (used it from 86 to mid 2000s) for dismounting tires, when wrong one got mounted.

YY1 - yer inbox is full.

google led me here because I've got a line on a very similar looking machine that's branded Atlas. Anyway, roughly how much do these monsters weigh?

I see this thread has been revived.

I actually just bought a rim clamp tire changer from my friend that owns an auto shop.

This Atlas is for sale for what I've got in it which is $100, if anyone is interested.
That includes anew air fitting and an extension pipe that brings the connection outside the sheet metal so you don't have to take it apart to hook it up.

I have an area on the property that can be used as a loading ramp/dock and a hand truck and a couple 2x4s will get it into a truck bed.

@b-star69 ??

Last edited:
can even bring it to the Melbourne swap meet.

Used one alot in my service station days.
Great find.

I'm looking at one 10 miles from me for $45.

Cool.

I "fixed" the design flaw where you have to hold the end of the bead bar down so it doesn't just spring back up and come off the roatator, but then when the last of the bead comes off the lack of tension slams the bar to the end of the travel, possibly breaking your wrist-

I drilled a hole about 3/4 inch down on the flat part of the rotator and used a hitch pin to hold the bead bar down.
hands free operation.

You have to be careful

A- in the hole placement as it could restrict the bead bar from going down far enough (hole should be as high as possible, leaving enough meat at the top)

B- a large enough hitch pin. The first one I tried got bent real easy.

@RWG75

BTW, I'm 6'3" and 195# and I can muscle it around on a standard $39 HF hand truck.
(make sure the tires are aired up)

Can feel that's it's darn heavy, though.

I can swing it around on the ground, but can't move it in a straight line.

The top clamp and post come out, which I recommend doing to move it as that assembly weighs about 40# and can swivel unexpectedly.

I also wouldn't try dragging it up ramps from the ground to the tailgate without at least 2 people and a ratchet strap to secure it to the hand truck.

Have since seen them estimated around 300 pounds. Your description of moving it sounds about like moving my old school Meyers snow plow blade - ya can do it alone with a beefy hand truck but a helper is helpful.

Just scored this even older one for a C note. I'd say about 150 pounds max and like 1/3 the foot print. I can actually tip it back on the original wheels and move it around. 8" wide rims will be "interesting" but I think I can make the top breaker a bit taller.

For now de-grease it and replace the power cord has turned in to tear it down, grind off 5 or more bad repaints.

20200523_163101.jpg 20200524_122757.jpg

Holy crap.

I've never seen a rim clamp design that old.

Cool.

Auto Transport Service
Back