• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scored a vintage tire changer today!

Atlas is the name of everything supplied to Chevron stations... The machine actually appears to be an early Coats 10/10
Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 6.47.49 AM.png

Normally I'd agree, but the thread pitch on the rotating shaft is slightly different than Coats, and the cones don't interchange.

I suppose it could simply be a design change on the machine though.
Not sure why they'd do that.

If I could get a second cone and cut off the actual outer cone leaving the inner threaded tube, then weld it to the bottom of my existing cone, it would increase the workable rim width.

The top layer of paint was really thick, don't wanna know how much lead and had to be something industrial because it took way too much effort to get it off using 40 grit. Under that was as least one coat of red and under that was blue. I've seen a couple blue ones around the web so guessing that may have been the original color. Couldn't save the serial number plate but oh well, I know what it is.

Still need to finish the bead breakers and hook up a foot peddle for them but so far so good. Maybe even better than expected.

20200604_085727.jpg 20200604_100928.jpg 20200605_154143.jpg

Atlas is the name of everything supplied to Chevron stations... The machine actually appears to be an early Coats 10/10View attachment 956647 0
That's the rascal I learned on back in the late 70's. I was lucky that an oldtimer taught me properly on it.
They're perfectly capable of hurting a fella who doesn't know what he's doing.

@RWG75

Any idea the year of MFG on that?

found a patent date of 1959

US3032094-drawings-page-4.jpg

My long departed F-I-L has one in his shop and he taught me how to change tires on it back in the 70's and it was old then. Not sure how large a wheel it can handle as i was doing 14"; but I could take it as the shop's being cleared out.
Think I should I take it?

recently snagged a working just fine 1993 ish snap on wb250! very nice.

20210401_130521.jpg

it does up to 16x7.5, kinda likes to jump at ya. if it's cheap and it works and ya got a use. I paid a C note and spent another one cleaning it up.

My long departed F-I-L has one in his shop and he taught me how to change tires on it back in the 70's and it was old then. Not sure how large a wheel it can handle as i was doing 14"; but I could take it as the shop's being cleared out.
Think I should I take it?
Yes, you should. Even if most cars used 14" back then, a lot of trucks had 16.5" so it might be useful.

recently snagged a working just fine 1993 ish snap on wb250! very nice.

View attachment 1119237

I have that same snap on balancer.

However, mine started always reading 2.75 Oz out no matter what, in between 1/4 and 1/3 of the circumference intervals.

I have calibrated it and made sure it is on a level surface.

I don't suppose you know anything about servicing them?

Coincidently watched a clip on flame beading a tire on a JD tractor last night. He used like 16oz of gas from a Mountain Dew bottle...lol. I wouldn't ask that dude to be changing my tires. Blew out the tire and the glass on the cab.

Coincidently watched a clip on flame beading a tire on a JD tractor last night. He used like 16oz of gas from a Mountain Dew bottle...lol. I wouldn't ask that dude to be changing my tires. Blew out the tire and the glass on the cab.

A couple in this set didn't want to seat even with a ratchet strap around them. Found a youtube trick: soapy water and a rubber mallet.

I don't suppose you know anything about servicing them?

As far as I can tell the service routine is either swap the balance head or swap the circuit board. Some machines have knobs to trim the sensors but these don't. Book says to fine balance a wheel before calibration, dunno what skipping that will do to it. Hope not to find out.

Since yours is constantly asking for 2.75 and the calibration weight is 3, thinking the calibration is out, especially if it's consistent. Ya want the pdf?

As far as I can tell the service routine is either swap the balance head or swap the circuit board. Some machines have knobs to trim the sensors but these don't. Book says to fine balance a wheel before calibration, dunno what skipping that will do to it. Hope not to find out.

Since yours is constantly asking for 2.75 and the calibration weight is 3, thinking the calibration is out, especially if it's consistent. Ya want the pdf?

I've done everything in the manual.

:(

There has to be some sort of force sensors in that vibration structure. Is it reading 2.75 on the inner or outer plane?

That looks like my Coats 10 10.
Car tire.JPG

It's been a while since I tried it.

IIRC, on a rim that I know only takes .25 to balance without a tire, the machine reads 2.75 on both the inner and outer, but don't remember the relative locations.

If you install the 2.75 weights and spin it again, it reads 2.75 about 1/3 of the way around the rim. Install that and it keeps repeating, just missing the first and subsequent weights.

Auto Transport Service
Back