• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scored an interesting std bore 400 block

LemonWedge

Local time
1:32 AM
Reaction score
I saw an ad for a somewhat rusty looking Chrysler 400 block near me yesterday so I went to look at it. Bores measured roughly 4.338 with a pair of calipers in a bore with a decent amount of “surface rust”, so std bore is my thought. There was no issues in the bores other than the surface rust, so I snatched it up for a song. Bores all have a very slight ring-ridge, looks like a .030 bore will be more than enough to clean it up nicely. Rest of the engine also has rust, but nothing that looks terminal.

Here’s the interesting thing: it has a casting # of 3830830-400. I can’t find that casting # listed anywhere. While it doesn’t have the highly sought after early “thick” 230 mainline saddles, it does have the same slightly thicker 400 saddles as my late casting 230 block that is currently in LemonWedge. They are visibly thicker than my 383 block. The guy I bought it from is a Mopar guy…. He knew how desirable 400 blocks are. He was told it was an industrial block and wasn’t sure of what that meant to its value however. So coupled with the surface rust and the fact that he just wanted it gone, he said yes to my 1st offer of $100!

Haven’t cleaned it up yet, but I’m thinking I just scored a great deal. Pictures to come.

Last edited:
Are you sure the 8 isn't 2 or a 5?

Pictures are needed. There also should be casting dates. Also should have a VIN and numbers stamped by the distributor. That number has been brought up before and I believe it is a normal 1974 [aprox.] block.

Last edited:
Nice price for a nice block. But it will cost some to get it ready to build.

Do you feel bad lowballing a local mopar guy?

Nice price for a nice block. But it will cost some to get it ready to build.

Do you feel bad lowballing a local mopar guy?

Are you Tom? If so it was nice to meet you Thanks. I don’t see it as a lowball.
It looked pretty rusty in the pictures. It’s going to take some work just getting it to the condition where most blocks are sold at. Asking price was $200. I didn’t need it, asked him sight unseen if he’d consider $100. He said if I got it out of his shop TODAY, he’d take it. I was there within a few hours, thought it was worth the risk…. Done. He certainly had the option of saying no.
The key here is he said just really wanted it gone; it’s gone. It’s not clean, sonic tested, or even magnafluxed, and nobody seems to know what the deal is with the odd casting #. I think we both got what we wanted.

Last edited:
Seems to be a few floating around. Any paint on it yet? I would think a car would be blue, industrial painted orange?
Both of these were orange. Makes me think they were industrial applications.

Screenshot_20240217_161734_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240217_162423_Chrome.jpg

IMG_2860.jpeg
IMG_2858.jpeg
IMG_2861.jpeg
IMG_2863.jpeg

IMG_2866.jpeg

As you can see…. You gotta look hard with your “Mopar Engine Builder” glasses on to see the value in this item. But for a guy that has a 400-block based racing program with the current block in use at +.040 & -.020 at the deck, and nothing in the wings….. this feels pretty good.

I’ll just clean it up , de-rust it as much as possible, and get some paint on the outside. Wire wheel and oil the bores, set it under the bench next to the cars orig. 383 and hopefully forget about it for a long while.

Open to tips on rust removal and storing a block.

Is there a VIN above the right pan rail? How about numbers by the distributor area?

Open to tips on rust removal and storing a block.
It might be worth having it dip-stripped if that is an option nearby to your location. At least it will get a decent flush and probably loosen a lot of internal rust and crud. Oil up well afterwards, and maybe wrap it in plastic....check on the condition periodically.

FWIW, I think it was a fair deal both ways - you got something you can use, and the seller got some space back in his shop. Plus he got reasonable money for a block with an uncertain history, no proof of condition/quality, and no guarantees of if it will end up even being usable to you after any machine work invested.

Nice purchase....definitely worth a risk.

Is there a VIN above the right pan rail? How about numbers by the distributor area?
Would not appear to be any stampings above the pan rail at either side. It would seem to have been painted Chrysler blue at some point however.
Distributor pocket is a greasy crusty mess. Not going to get to that today.

image.jpg

image.jpg

the 6-27-74 casting sounds right for the 7-26 assembly date. Blue in color sure makes it seem production.

I'm not racing but I do have a couple bb engines sitting.
Everyone needs a spare or two.
Good grab ! :drinks:

I'm not racing but I do have a couple bb engines sitting.
Everyone needs a spare or two.
Good grab ! :drinks:
I too have a spare bare 440 block in my back yard.....rusty and not getting any better. I would do something to preserve it, but nobody wants a '67 440 block with three cracks in the side water jackets.
Might be worth either a cup of coffee worth of scrap.....or a conversation starter as yard-art. :lol:

I too have a spare bare 440 block in my back yard.....rusty and not getting any better. I would do something to preserve it, but nobody wants a '67 440 block with three cracks in the side water jackets.
Might be worth either a cup of coffee worth of scrap.....or a conversation starter as yard-art. :lol:
I have a 2001 ram snow plow truck.
The bees and wasps call It home till winter. Then it's mine again lol

Auto Transport Service
Back