• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scored an interesting std bore 400 block

I gave the compressor a workout today, spending much of the day cleaning up this block. The more I saw, the more I smiled! Almost all of the rust was very superficial surface rust, and it came off quickly & easily with a wire wheel. Cylinders are all in great shape; not one single issue in any of them and only a slight ring-ridge. I bet it would clean up at .010. Main caps and saddles all look great. Deck has a couple of spots of scaling, but no major issues at all.
This thing was a score!

IMG_2868.jpeg

IMG_2869.jpeg

IMG_2870.jpeg

IMG_2872.jpeg

I gave the compressor a workout today, spending much of the day cleaning up this block. The more I saw, the more I smiled! Almost all of the rust was very superficial surface rust, and it came off quickly & easily with a wire wheel. Cylinders are all in great shape; not one single issue in any of them and only a slight ring-ridge. I bet it would clean up at .010. Main caps and saddles all look great. Deck has a couple of spots of scaling, but no major issues at all.
This thing was a score!

View attachment 1612017

View attachment 1612018

View attachment 1612019

View attachment 1612020
Nice $100 score especially after the clean up

This thing was a score!

View attachment 1612017

View attachment 1612018

View attachment 1612019

View attachment 1612020
Looks nice. Did the clean up reveal any VIN?

Right on good score! I too saw this for sale and wished I was closer to it. But, I will be heading west this Saturday to pick up a 73 400 and 727 that will be the base for my coronet.

That cleaned up really good! I was just giving you a hard time earlier.

You might get it sonic checked and crack checked now. Just so you know your spare under the bench is good, and doesn't turn out to be junk when you need it.

I had a block rusted pretty bad, took to a place in Portland Oregon and had it dipped, it looked like new afterward.

55 gallon plastic barrel, and a bunch of gallons of molasses. Wait a while.
And having the main caps and not needing a line bore (hopefully) is worth more than you paid for the whole block.
(I have a 630 with no main caps. Ask me how I know, lol).

Auto Transport Service
Back