• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scored but need help hooking up

albert 5694

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:30 PM
Reaction score
Hello i scored this Idle up set up for my carter AVS for 100.00 dollars but i cant find out were it would have been wired in at. I looked in my 1969 service manual and it only shows one wire running to the clutch on the compressor can i assume that it would have been tied into the same wire (i can do that easily) so that when i turn on the AC and the compressor kicks in this would be energized at the same time as to speed the idle up so that it runs the same as with the AC turned of or was there a separate wire running from somewhere else to energize this. I tested it and everything works and i checked the AMP draw on the solenoid is .5 so this should not add a lot the AC circuit as it is fused at 20 amps and my compressor is a modern style so i would think this is more efficient then the original oem style compressor. It would have to be tied into the compressor clutch circuit some were any help would be great full (note the solenoid with out the wire was given just so i have the body for the mopar part#)

20221008_145007.jpg

That to me reminds me of the idle solenoid for a 70 Avs. 1969 I don’t believe had that idle solenoid like that. 70 used in that conjunction with a vacuum advance and solenoid retard canister and had a special little harness for it also ran a ground to the idle screw . It was part of the CAP/ ECS system.

Had that CAP/ECS on my 70 Charger 500 W/ ac. It grounded the dist retard through an insulated curb idle screw on the carb. Did not have a kickup solenoid. Maybe it was a California thing? It was a Holley though. Where the AC compressor got its ground from I cant remember? My guess is through the solenoid. Compressor on idle up off idle down. Now what sends power to the clutch is what I need to find out. My Mopar here I come.

Last edited:
Easy Peasy Push the Sw and compressor get power. Regulates temp through TXV. Not like a newer cycling sw like my 92 Ram that are like Hens teeth. On the 69 Sw on gets ground through the throttle kicker. Now that would seem to defeat the Dist retard function if the idle screw wont controll the ground. Did Ma do that to give a FU to the EPA? Was the EPA around in 69? Thought Nixon did that? Dont change dicks in the middle of a screw vote for Nixon in 72. But I digress.

I do believe the solenoid retard and idle set up was from 70-72 only , it was used only on the big blocks.

Hello i scored this Idle up set up for my carter AVS for 100.00 dollars but i cant find out were it would have been wired in at. I looked in my 1969 service manual and it only shows one wire running to the clutch on the compressor can i assume that it would have been tied into the same wire (i can do that easily) so that when i turn on the AC and the compressor kicks in this would be energized at the same time as to speed the idle up so that it runs the same as with the AC turned of or was there a separate wire running from somewhere else to energize this. I tested it and everything works and i checked the AMP draw on the solenoid is .5 so this should not add a lot the AC circuit as it is fused at 20 amps and my compressor is a modern style so i would think this is more efficient then the original oem style compressor. It would have to be tied into the compressor clutch circuit some were any help would be great full (note the solenoid with out the wire was given just so i have the body for the mopar part#)

View attachment 1354767
Go ahead. Since 73 a solenoid was used to set the idle and when ign is off closed the throttle to preve from dieseling/run on status. It is sourced of course from the RUN (ign1) circuit.

Since my car never have got that problem, I changed its application to increase a bit the idle when AC is on, and of course being sourced from the compressor clutch wire. Just like you want to make.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies i understand this is not the proper exact set up used in 1969 but i have not found any details on what would have been used to keep the engine running at the proper rpm when the ac was tuned on. How did the factory speed up the idle to be the same with the ac on or off because right now when i turn the ac on the motor pulls down so i was going to use this system to keep the idle the same with or with out the ac seemed the simplest way to do it. The only thing my FSM shows is the Vacuum pot set up witch was not for helping with the ac it was used for anti dieseling and according to the FSM this was only used on 4 speed cars mine is automatic 727 torqueflite with 3:54 gears in a dyna 60 rear end

Auto Transport Service
Back