• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seafoam

hanks73340

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:51 PM
Reaction score
Heard a lot about this product. Never have used it. Wondering if it's worth trying. What's your opinion on this product and how to use it other than pouring into the gas tank. Thanks

Ive used it to remove carbon off the piston tops. Alot of folks in the mechanical trade up here swear by it.
Kind of like Red X. In the 70s 80s.
My grandfather use to use water gingerly down the carb. Not sure how that worked. But as a farmer. He used what was avail at the time. With out costing to much.

I have used Sea Foam for years, in riding lawn mower, push mower, tractor, boat, atv, cars etc. It will even clean up a tank that has sat for two years. Also use their Deep Creep.

I found it works great for me both as an oil additive, and fuel additive.

. Allot of folks in the mechanical trade up here swear by it.
Same here. Live by a lake and the boaters are faithful users.
I just started in my old stuff and engines that sit like generators.

Good product I've used it and know a few mechanics that used it for years.

Seafoam I have used it since I worked at the first dealership. The old guy there swore by it and I trusted his opinion. I use in all my small engines as fuel stabilizer. I used it to clean the fuel injectors on my 4 stroke snowmobile 15 miles and the miss was gone!

While it's a good cleaner, you can make your own, probably cheaper. Here's what is in it:
25% Cleaner>Naphtha
60% Stabilizer>Kerosene or diesel
15% Oxygenate> Isopropyl Alcohol (common Rubbing Alcohol)

I use to use IIRC was under Pro-Blend
(maybe named something else, but that's what came to mind)
It was a fuel additive
when you'd pour it in the tank, (IIRC) with only like 5 gallons or less fuel
& supposed to let it idle (usually a high idle) in open spaces
for like 15 min.s
the exhaust would puke some nasty ****
clear up sooner or later & run much better
better mechanicals from chemicals (mechanic in a can)

The purpose was to, really clean out the fuel system & top of the engine,
valves & the combustion chamber carbon deposits, out the tailpipe etc.
It worked too...
I remember using it on a few old cars I bought
I'm sure it wasn't good for some stuff...

the fuel system cleaner additive stuff
doesn't exist from them like is used to be
(I sort of remember warnings "it ate rubber & aluminum" if you didn't
drive around for like 50-100 miles & then refill the tank with fresh fuel)
probably too toxic or something, but it really worked

V-Max seems to work too
I think Bruden Smith owner of V-Max, bought out
Pro-Blend (don't quote me, may not even be the correct name)
several racetracks 'owner fame' also

Last edited:
it really works !

i had a 72 454 Vette about 20 yrs ago that had a legit 48,500 mile on it.
had typical carbon crap from years of running leaded fuel.
I did a bottle every 3rd-4th tank for over 7 years of driving it (50K miles).
before i sold it, I took a bore scope and looked around inside the cylinders - there was virtually no carbon to be found in the head side and on piston top.

Best tuff I have ever used.

and btw.. I did the water mist in the carb on my 6pack Challenger. just like steam cleaning!
just have to stupid careful with how much water you shoot in. its not a big fan of compressing and will bend a valve or worse.
must be a fine mist and done at RPMs over 2000. An old time mechanic showed men when I was as a kid (like 45 years ago LOL) - he was in his 60's so the method has been around a LONG time .. :)

Bill

Thank you all for your experiences with this. Looks like I will give it a try.

it really works !

i had a 72 454 Vette about 20 yrs ago that had a legit 48,500 mile on it.
had typical carbon crap from years of running leaded fuel.
I did a bottle every 3rd-4th tank for over 7 years of driving it (50K miles).
before i sold it, I took a bore scope and looked around inside the cylinders - there was virtually no carbon to be found in the head side and on piston top.

Best tuff I have ever used.

and btw.. I did the water mist in the carb on my 6pack Challenger. just like steam cleaning!
just have to stupid careful with how much water you shoot in. its not a big fan of compressing and will bend a valve or worse.
must be a fine mist and done at RPMs over 2000. An old time mechanic showed men when I was as a kid (like 45 years ago LOL) - he was in his 60's so the method has been around a LONG time .. :)

Bill
I remember seeing it done, must have worked.

1. Used it in the parking lot of a Mexican restaurant one day on the way to Los Angeles. Had to beg them to NOT call the fire department.

to me the test of all tests was when I winterized my 82 Honda CBX 1000 six cylinder motorcycle. they are notorious for gumming up after sitting just a few months. I had
stored the bike in the garage one October day, and added seafoam to the fuel, ran it until the seafoam was in the carbs, Then shut it down. Then the next spring came, and my business got in the way. the fall came, no time to mess with it. spring again, no time. Then finally in the second year around Halloween, I said that damn bike has to be started!

So, I turned on the fuel, waited for a couple minutes for the fuel to get where it needed to go, and I hit the key. It started within 10 seconds! It Idled, revved up, and was ready to go down the highway!. It ran absolutely the same as when I parked it.
granted I filled it with premium no ethanol when I parked it,, but two years later,, no stutter, no hesitation, and it would raise the front wheel if i was stupid enough to do that.
that was a year ago, now again it is Halloween, and I will be starting it after one year.
I will let everyone know if it is a repeat from last year.

20171112_200710_0011982 Honda cbx 1000.jpg

Ive used it to remove carbon off the piston tops. Alot of folks in the mechanical trade up here swear by it.
Kind of like Red X. In the 70s 80s.
My grandfather use to use water gingerly down the carb. Not sure how that worked. But as a farmer. He used what was avail at the time. With out costing to much.
Dulcich did the water down the carb trick on the Bonneville wagon in an episode of Roadkill Garage. Says it worked great.

Seafoam definitely has a loyal following. Personally I have used Berryman's in all of my cars, but only once, or twice a year. It is very caustic, but cleans well. Be careful not to spill it on your paint.

BG has a product called 44K that is supposed to clean well, and one mechanic I know personally uses it at every oil change in all of his rides.

Auto Transport Service
Back