• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seat belt upgrade?

alextucker

Local time
6:32 AM
Reaction score
Putting the kids in the back with just the lap belts is making my wife nervous, anyone added shoulder straps without fitting a 5 point harness type system?

(I do care for my kids safety as well but I trust my driving and my charger )

Tell your wife not to worry. Lots of people our age grew up riding in cars without being seat-belted in and were not harmed.

There was a thread about a month ago on this very subject. Simething I found interesting was that some of these ild mopars had optional shoulder belts.
Someone provided sime pics as the retractors i believe were mounted in/under the package tray.
Try to search for seatbelts

There was a thread about a month ago on this very subject. Simething I found interesting was that some of these ild mopars had optional shoulder belts.
Someone provided sime pics as the retractors i believe were mounted in/under the package tray.
Try to search for seatbelts
Yep. That was my thread. If you look under the package tray you should see mounting locations for shoulder belts. The problem with using those locations is you need a belt specifically designed to sit horizontally. 99.9% of the aftermarket seat belts are made to mount vertically. There are some retraction issues if you dont get the correct ones.

I spent a few hours searching the webs for proper under the package tray belts, only thing I could find were some for Australia.

I have a 4 & 7 year old, the youngest is still in a car seat so when that is strapped in with the lap belt it doesn't move at all, and then hes in a 5 point belt in his car seat. My oldest 'legally' needs to be in a booster seat, which I tried for about 5 minutes. He doesn't like his belt tight and these belts seem to loosen as you wiggle around in them while driving and he was flopping around too much for my liking. He was not secure at all so I bought a Britax car seat for him. It works the same as a normal baby seat but for bigger kids and is very secure when strapped in with the lap belt. I did add a piece of 1" foam to the backs of each seat because when the lap belt is tight the buckle will sit on one side of the seat, cut a spot for the buckle out of the foam and they both say they are comfortable.
Is it the best answer to carry your kids around? Probably not most will say these days, but on the other hand no matter how I secure my kids in my Charger they are never going to be as safe as a brand new car with crumple zones and 12 air bags. I did toy with the idea of bubble wrapping them, then shrink wrapping them while putting a pink shirt on them but my wife thought that may be a little much :)

I have a 4 & 7 year old, the youngest is still in a car seat so when that is strapped in with the lap belt it doesn't move at all, and then hes in a 5 point belt in his car seat. My oldest 'legally' needs to be in a booster seat, which I tried for about 5 minutes. He doesn't like his belt tight and these belts seem to loosen as you wiggle around in them while driving and he was flopping around too much for my liking. He was not secure at all so I bought a Britax car seat for him. It works the same as a normal baby seat but for bigger kids and is very secure when strapped in with the lap belt. I did add a piece of 1" foam to the backs of each seat because when the lap belt is tight the buckle will sit on one side of the seat, cut a spot for the buckle out of the foam and they both say they are comfortable.
Is it the best answer to carry your kids around? Probably not most will say these days, but on the other hand no matter how I secure my kids in my Charger they are never going to be as safe as a brand new car with crumple zones and 12 air bags. I did toy with the idea of bubble wrapping them, then shrink wrapping them while putting a pink shirt on them but my wife thought that may be a little much :)
Love it , great idea and it's not as if I'll be going heavy foot while they are in the car I think it's more of a worry someone crashing into me while admiring the Charger. (2 near misses to date) ... bubble wrap hmmm

Love it , great idea and it's not as if I'll be going heavy foot while they are in the car I think it's more of a worry someone crashing into me while admiring the Charger. (2 near misses to date) ... bubble wrap hmmm
Yep. That was my thread. If you look under the package tray you should see mounting locations for shoulder belts. The problem with using those locations is you need a belt specifically designed to sit horizontally. 99.9% of the aftermarket seat belts are made to mount vertically. There are some retraction issues if you dont get the correct ones.

I spent a few hours searching the webs for proper under the package tray belts, only thing I could find were some for Australia.
I've seen reference to very, very rare optional shoulder belts. I'm not sure what years or cars.

I did a quick search for a '67 Charger and found these guys. http://www.seatbeltsplus.com/category/B-Body-mopar-seat-belts-harnesses.html
http://www.seatbeltsplus.com/product/3-6467-B-Body2BE.html

I'm pretty sure these are for FRONT seats, but maybe you could call them and see what you can do for the back ones.

alextucker, HELP!

Your car appears to be a 67 (Fratzogs on the trim).
My 67 had seem to have had the front belts changed sometime in its life , and I'm shopping for replacements.
What does yours have in the front, if original?

In my car, two rear seat sets still had the original lap belts with chrome buckles .
But the front is a mystery. (I'll explain that below)
The rest of the lap belts look to be from a later car and have black buckles and clips that make no sense to me.
Does your fold down arm rest (seat?) in the front have a seat belt.
I had already zeroed on on purplebeepers source when I was looking yesterday.
That source does show a center belt option for the front.
I'm going to contact the seller and ask for length measurements before buying.

Here is my current conundrum and the main cause of my question.
I have 8 attaching points in the usual places THAT I CAN FIND by sticking my head in the car:
2 each at both rear seats on the axle tunnel.
2 each at both front seats.
( One on each side of the drive shaft tunnel and one each rocker panel.)
That is a total 8 attaching points in the usual places for lap belts.
4 in the rear and 4 in the front.

HOWEVER, I have 12 bolts with matching lap belt straps.
I took them out of the car.
How did this occur?
I have not solved that yet.
But it is very curious.

20180330_184812[1].jpg
20180330_184819[1].jpg

Last edited:
Hopefully this helps.... I had a '73 Fury III 2-door that had a "buddy seat" (aka soft padded arm rest) in a split-bench seat (had high-backs, but a bench bottom). There was an extra seat belt in the middle for a little kid to ride with the arm rest (buddy seat) up. I believe it attached to the same attachment points as the receiver buckles for driver/passenger side....no extra attachment points.....doubled-up on existing seat belt bolts.... and it think it was like a '69 belt (similar to what's in an airplane).

Auto Transport Service
Back