• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Second transmission with no luck...

By 85 its some form of 904/999 since the 727 is gone.... A 727 with a large convertor will take 12-13 quarts... A 904 depending on the convertor will be between 9.5 & 11.5 quarts....

Wild, not to be picky but my1985 FSM thinks there are still 727's behind small blocks, at least in vans. But the listed capacity is slightly less at 17.1 pints (8.5 Qts), not 18.5 pints like earlier years.

Yeah, I hadn't thought about vans.... Might be in HD trucks too... But not in passenger car applications....

Never seen one take only 8.5 qts, but I haven't seen them all & by 85 I wasn't working on many late model Mopars.....

Yeah, I hadn't thought about vans.... Might be in HD trucks too... But not in passenger car applications....

Never seen one take only 8.5 qts, but I haven't seen them all & by 85 I wasn't working on many late model Mopars.....

I hear ya. I didn't realize the fill had decreased, but the van converters were the smaller 10 1/2" version, which then makes sense. OP's low level was the 1st issue, not sure about the rest of his issues.

Alright guys I'm up and running!!!! That knock was either a trans mount or a motor mount that is broken, ill have to get a new one. I have been building this car for 2 years almost every chance i could get time for it, never imagined how fun it would be to just cruise through my neighborhood on Christmas day for the first time. Thanks guys I appreciate it! The fluid did the trick :thumbsup: Merry Christmas

Mason now that you took it for a spin time for you to spin around the car with your camera and send us some pics. Great to see you have it going

Mason now that you took it for a spin time for you to spin around the car with your camera and send us some pics. Great to see you have it going
Ill send y'all pictures real quick, just have to find out how to post them. Definitely the best Christmas ever.

20191224_125811.jpg

Nice 70 mason. About your {clunk} noise. easy way to check for a broken mount is have a buddy watch the engine , you hold on the brake firm and give it some throttle in a forward gear. left side of the engine will raise up if you have a bad left mount. Trans mount its safer to just jack up the trans a small bit and look for gap.
Also check U joints at the front of drive shaft and the back one at the rear end.
Also if you had a high idle speed going when you heard the {clunk} while shifting into gear it may be some wear at the ring and pinion.
older rear diffs with lots of miles can sound pretty scary when hit with a high idle speed shift from park.

Just noticed that you are in Houston.....welcome to Hell! LOL

Nice 70 mason. About your {clunk} noise. easy way to check for a broken mount is have a buddy watch the engine , you hold on the brake firm and give it some throttle in a forward gear. left side of the engine will raise up if you have a bad left mount. Trans mount its safer to just jack up the trans a small bit and look for gap.
Also check U joints at the front of drive shaft and the back one at the rear end.
Also if you had a high idle speed going when you heard the {clunk} while shifting into gear it may be some wear at the ring and pinion.
older rear diffs with lots of miles can sound pretty scary when hit with a high idle speed shift from park.
I appreciate the compliment, and thanks for the advice that'll help me out alot, i feel the banging come from right beside my gas pedal, but it seems to go away when i lay in on the gas. That rear diff hasn't seen much action in its whole life haha. 56k original miles, had sat in a field since 1997 I'll have to post a picture of it when i found it.

Excellent you hung in and goter done. Will look forward to future news on your journey.
Yeah for sure I know I'l be on here sooner or later stuck in a rut, it'll probable be about steering lol, there's so much play in the wheel. Thanks for the help

Just noticed that you are in Houston.....welcome to Hell! LOL
Haha! looks like we both share the same neck of the woods, this weather sure doesn't feel like christmas. I think I have been to that dragstrip that you mention near Pasadena

Auto Transport Service
Back