• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seeking CAM Advice

Dema Elgin is going to design/grind a cam for me after Bonneville Speed Week.

Lots of good tech on his website
worth a read
He certainly could design a cam for your Chrysler, let's see if he does or if he uses one of his Chevy V-8 grinds

So the power and torque numbers are just hypothetical if it has not actually been run, right? IMO - what's in there might be ok for you. The issue you will have is the high static with the 91 octane and lots of traffic/idling. Low rpm and idling is not conducive to long camshaft wear - so factor that in too. If it was me, I'd lower the static ratio 3/4-1 point. Then look at solid flat tappets that do not need high spring pressures. It will lose some torque and horsepower, but with that much on tap you won't feel it.

60304 lunati voodoo works well

Thanks for the replies fellas, I appreciate them!
Lots of good tech on his website
worth a read
He certainly could design a cam for your Chrysler, let's see if he does or if he uses one of his Chevy V-8 grinds
It could be, I hear talk of 'lower spring pressures'.
I'm OK with that as I am after longevity.
They know I'm willing to 'leave some on the table' but would still like to make the best of what it is.
Like what moper said:
So the power and torque numbers are just hypothetical if it has not actually been run, right? IMO - what's in there might be ok for you. The issue you will have is the high static with the 91 octane and lots of traffic/idling. Low rpm and idling is not conducive to long camshaft wear - so factor that in too. If it was me, I'd lower the static ratio 3/4-1 point. Then look at solid flat tappets that do not need high spring pressures. It will lose some torque and horsepower, but with that much on tap you won't feel it.
The engine was on a dyno:
DB1FC8A1-A405-42A0-A974-144A991AD5D4.png

I bought it figuring to change cam out & then decided static cr was a bit higher than I was comfortable picking a cam, then read to much & addled my brain & confidence, asked questions & then found a reputable, (semi) local builder who uses Elgin...
So...I have to much on my plate right now & am going to let them have at it. I have discussed the specifics of car & intended usage in detail and will trust them to fulfill the desire.
I will be going with a solid FT.

Mopar 528 solid cam , idle like a stoker
Yes, everything I have heard about this one sounds like what I want, with perhaps a little more lift.

60304 lunati voodoo works well
This one was at the top of the list for a long while.
Then off 'n on.
Then 'Screw it! I'm finding a builder...'

I just don't have the time I thought I would & am willing (& able for a change) to have it done for me this time.
With very mixed feelings I must add.
Thanks again ALL contributors.
This may be slow going but I'll update this as noteworthy things happen.

Those are good articles, I read them & more on my 'cam quest'.
I was just looking at the Lunati site again and realize I am just to tired to function which is a VERY good time to stop interfacing with the internet.
I have to get up at 4am for work.
Maybe that's a good time to post.
Maybe not...
I HATE MONDAYS.

i'd rather you go to Dema than the tech line at comp
4000 lbs and tall gears is not something most tech lines speak
You might also ask Mike Jones about one of his endurance grinds
he has some that only take 105 on the seat
think EDM lifters
get some head flows and fill this out
http://jonescams.com/street-performance/
4000 lbs and tall gears is not something most tech lines speak
Mike can nail a cam for you and useful info in any case

Seeing the dyno sheet, that looks like a great street motor. I would leave it alone and put it in the car.

The engine has 10.31:1 static CR.
The builder was meeting with Dema today & I will have more info later...

Got my cam & lifters with an assembled head & push rods and drove the Charger (nearly 200 mi-one way) to Rocker Arms Unlimited in Redding.
Cam specs are basically:
Single pattern
114 LSA (110 intake, 118 exhaust)
274* adv dur @ .015
I don't know dur @ .050, but it has 'Winfield' lobes, so...?
.533 lift after lash.
Gary at Rocker Arms unlimited is a great guy!
He answered tons of questions & gave me tour of his shop. They can (and DO) make rocker arms for anything.
3E5B22A3-B468-45AD-920C-4C5AD179DB57.png

Some for Gene Adams' 392 HEMI, with 1150# springs
6F7146B3-4030-4457-86C1-797436647A41.jpeg

Model 'B' Ford
F4F85639-1B1E-4ECF-8D10-85C111D528A7.jpeg

Some HEMI sets ready to send out
347FD5AC-C476-49BB-8600-126DAFCF40BD.jpeg

Some for 440s
C992E8A6-9327-4F2C-905B-CA91AD0724C3.jpeg

And what mine will look like
26C5C345-2690-4787-8B18-139AF697ECB0.jpeg

:thumbsup:

Their old sign says "Since 1969", I like it!
6E937DE4-EBA1-41DC-9DB7-815B94C4880D.jpeg
1CA76DF2-6C48-4EA2-87B2-B4DF2D8CF1E8.jpeg

Those will be nice rocker arms. Simple engineering criteria suggests that those are better designed than many others.

Auto Transport Service
Back