• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seems to be the ongoing trend lately....

I agree on having the correct FSM for the car in question. Also agree that the owner of said car "should" have some sort of mechanical & electrical smarts to work on said car.

The one I have been seeing lately here and on other forums is......"My car won't start. what could be the problem?"

Really???

Dude, man. Dude.

Dude, You have to do it right.

It's (with surfer )inflection - Duude!!! You east costers can't take you anywhere!

What's the situation overherea? lmao wrong I know I know

I have to say that I I do have FSM's for each of my cars but sometimes while I am at work, I post the questions when I don't have my manuals available to me. Sometimes others have developed or learned a different technique to do things which is faster or easier than what the manual says. Other times FSM's don't cover TSB's or other upgrades which the factory manuals don't go into. Granted, I will always have a FSM but the internet and forums are a huge help too!

Excellent points. When I bought my first car in 1976, I ordered the shop manuals for it. Then I got my road runner, and ordered the factory manual for that too. In fact, I had a Chilton's repair manual for the road runner before I bought it, because I wanted the car so badly.

If I can ever get that boat out of the water, I have the workshop manual for that as well.....
View attachment 186858

(Also have a DC-3 manual...)

BBWWAAhahahahahahhahaha!! funny sh1t!!

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously though, cr8 is right. The FSM is vital. i used mine during the build and still do. as recently as yesterday in fact. although there are a few situations that come up, every now and then that I'd like another guys opinion. as if you had a friend that might know or had first hand knowledge. that's how i view this forum; 300 friends that have either been there or have insight....

I have an FSM for each of my cars as well as the corresponding Chilton manuals. I have heard the excuse over the years that these reference books/manuals are too expensive, however I suggest that you can't afford not to have them. I too started wrenching/racing back in the 70's when there was no internet and having done it both ways I can assure you that working with instructions and especially pictures is the way to go. ;)

Having said that, I have also posted questions on the many forums that I am a member of when I don't have access to my manuals. I also do not mind helping others when I can, but there are some that will take advantage of the community while offering nothing in return and in doing so will alienate themselves over time. :parts book:

No worries ... :headbang:

Dude, You have to do it right.

It's (with surfer )inflection - Duude!!! You east costers can't take you anywhere!

What's the situation overherea? lmao wrong I know I know

The extra u's were implied. Dang left coasters. :)

I have both the Canadian and American factory manuals for my 62. I also have a one for a 67 dodge cornet because that is where my motor came from. Problem is the car has had 11 different owners and been modified many times over the years, the books are obsolete. You guys are not.

agreed, I have to admit that I've been asking some questions but I do have the manual and always go there first.

This site rocks

It always helps to have some basic information when working on something and ask questions when you get stuck. I see cr8's point but I don't mind answering questions if I have relevant info to share. Dude.

How about the guys that thought that "old cars are cool". They get a few bucks in their pockets and log onto ebay. Some of these guys have absolutely no knowledge of how anything mechanical works. They have no tools. They live in an apartment. They get on car web forums and ask...
* Why does my car overheat?
* Why is my car hard to start?
* How do you change spark plugs? Check air pressure in the tires? Add oil? Add coolant?
* Where can I get a $150 paint job?
* Who makes fenders for a 78 Volare?
When I grew up, there was no internet. When I needed help, I asked friends or the neighborhood gearhead. I probably asked many of the same questions I wrote above. It wasn't until I got into Mopars that i bought an actual FSM.

Excellent points. When I bought my first car in 1976, I ordered the shop manuals for it. Then I got my road runner, and ordered the factory manual for that too. In fact, I had a Chilton's repair manual for the road runner before I bought it, because I wanted the car so badly.

If I can ever get that boat out of the water, I have the workshop manual for that as well.....
View attachment 186858
LOL that's funny :laughing4:

(Also have a DC-3 manual...)
:icon_lol:

Then there are the older gentlemen that know plenty about Mopars but need help finding things on the ol' 'puter.

Let's all sing a song.

Heh. Takes all kinds, don't it.
Probably just a common thread...don't like Fords.

The only Q's I rarely don't respond to intentionally, are the one hitters who's only concern is logging into a forum for the first time, ask one technical question in the welcome section, and that's all they comment about, usually with never enough info about the problem or car, or trying to sell you something in their very first post, or was only looking for some one time tech help and really aren't concerned about a community that gives as well. And you usually never hear from them again, or 1 or 2 more times then gone. I see some attempt a welcome and explain the forum, but usually that gets no response or a smart a$$ reply about don't respond unless your going to help poor ole me...blah blah....

Do I push on the brake petal , when I try to put the car in drive ?????
If you ground the neutral switch, you put the selector in drive, mat the gas pedal and then turn the key to start :D

Then there are the older gentlemen that know plenty about Mopars but need help finding things on the ol' 'puter.

Let's all sing a song.
I know a lot of younger gentlemen who don't know who to use the ol' 'puter too. My youngest will be 26 this year and is a gamer but she seems to always ask me questions about her car vs reading her owner's manual or buying a book or even getting on the 'net?' to try and find what her problem might be. I keep telling her that I know old cars and not this newer junk lol. Someone mentioned torque specs? There's dozens of charts on the net for all grades of fasteners! The majority of these specs applies to the size of the bolt and the auto manufacturers follow them for the most part.

All this reading got me to thinkin. Cr8's FSM for his Satellite covers the /6 so much more in depth than my A100 FSM does. And what, like 95% of the vans had a /6 in them? What's up with that?

I'll say that I have an FSM. I have only looked at it once or twice so far. I was just looking to see what kind of info it has. It was surprising to me considering I have never had any book for any car before. It's loaded. I likely won't be looking at it for a while again because I am still far from re-assembly. BUT I do know for sure when I go to put my doors back together after 6 months or so of being in the corner I will need to dig it out for putting the windows back in!! I think general tinkering can be done just fine without, but when it comes to fine tuning or things such as trans shifter linkages, torsion bar setting, electrical troubleshooting etc. it will be priceless.

Now, having said all that, how do I find out which page of my FSM has the info about adjusting the trunk lid springs?! :toothy12:

Now, having said all that, how do I find out which page of my FSM has the info about adjusting the trunk lid springs?! :toothy12:
Are they springs like on the hood or are they torsion bars? Either way that will be in the "body & frame" section, which should be the last section of the book. Good Luck

Dudes, it takes all kinds. And it all adds up to one awesome forum. Dude.
I love the "Dude References", it goes with your avatar so well...

- - - Updated - - -

I ordered a 65 Service manual before I had even bought my car (lucky I found my 65 Coronet to go with it) but then one evening in a beer fueled haze I ordered another Service Manual (different cover same exact manual) which I thought I absolutely needed (now I have 2) so I guess my point is I don't really know WTF my point is or what I'm doing but I really enjoy this site.

Exactly, knowledge is the key, do some due diligence & research what your working on... I will stand by my Signature line, Mike Joy Quote; "Fill your Library, Before you, Fill your Garage" , make perfect sense if you think about it...

Sometimes it's the instant gratification generation, of the easy to find information age, that we now live in... Some are just too lazy or too cheap to research the stuff too, even if they have the resources...

I learned by doing, watching my step father & reading everything about cars, many different styles & makes, that I could get my hands on, engines trans body electrical suspension racing especially {my thing}...

And if your too broke to buy the books/CD's or any reference material, that's completely necessary to do your builds/projects, maybe go to the local library, find a website examples like www.MyMopar.com or www.AllPar.com & copy what pages you will need, I know it's a thing of the past, but it helps...

There are many items, experience will be the only way to get your answer, sometime you need to jump in booth with feet or ask someone with the specific knowledge/skill to help you & IMHFO that's where this site excels above many others, we have some of the most well rounded, intelligent/educated, mostly all friendly, helpful, knowledgeable/well informed experienced members on the WWW...

- - - Updated - - -

I find that it is easier and faster to look up the info I need than it is to ask a question and then wait for a answer. And chances are that the answer won't even be related to the question or are given wrong info. I guess that I'm more of a find it yourself answer kinda guy then to ask a question.

Me too !! I'm still willing to pass on the knowledge, that was passed on to me, pay it forward so to speak...

Most the the manuals I found for the late 1960 and early 1970 cars are about the same level of quality as the cars were back then. Not good at all. I don't mind or feel bad coming here to ask those that may have worked on the cars back in the day or have rebulit one today any number of questions. Good parts for these old cars are costly and who has time or money to do it twice. I would rather measure twice and cut once.

Auto Transport Service
Back