• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Self Painted 66 Dodge Coronet

Here are some pictures of the completed Clear Coat. It has not been wet sanded, or buffed so there is obvious orange peel as of today.

Paint Time_Clear Coat 001.jpg

Paint Time_Clear Coat 003.jpg

Paint Time_Clear Coat 004.jpg

Paint Time_Clear Coat 007.jpg

Paint Time_Clear Coat 010.jpg

Cool ,way to go..Just remember when your wet sanding that corners and edges will burn threw quicker than a flat surface even with a buffer ;)

Wet that bad boy and polish it, I want to see more car ****. Looking good.

Anyone know some good polishing compounds I should use once wet sanded. I assume I don't want to wax it right after the buffing so any helpful rubbing compounds and tools to apply them will be very helpful.

How's it coming along?

How's it coming along?

It's doing alright at the time. I didn't realize how long it takes to hand sand down the clear in order to get rid of orange peel. Much of the body are curved surfaces in which I have wrapped 2000 grit around "fine sanding sponges."

I've also been trying to see how much sanding is too much sanding and the proper time to start buffing. But all in all, I am happy with the way the paint has turned out so far, and will hopefully finish fairly soon and get pictures up when the car's paint process if completed.

Boy! living in ca.and painting a car outside,I'm surprised the epa didn't pack you and your car off to pollution jail!(lol)looks like you're on the right track!Good Luck!

Screw the tree huggers. You do what you can do with what you got.

Well, how is going? Got any pics?

Any progress?????????????????

Here is the top of the front left fender. I have been using 2000 grit, and it is taking forever to get a smooth "orange-peel free" surface. The last picture is the top of the front right fender, which has not been sanded at all.

I am dealing with a lot of curved surface on the body, and I was hoping there may be a quicker or more efficient way to sand the car. Currently, I have been wrapping 2000 grit around fine sanding sponges. Should I move down to 1500 to start the process and then go to 2000 after, or should I stick with the 2000?

The first two pictures are the sanded pics, and the last two are not sanded.

top of fenders 005.jpg

top of fenders 007.jpg

top of fenders 006.jpg

top of fenders 008.jpg

Boy! living in ca.and painting a car outside,I'm surprised the epa didn't pack you and your car off to pollution jail!(lol)looks like you're on the right track!Good Luck!

I knew a guy who got raided by the CARB Nazi's. He was painting his car in his garage and they got him. Keep your head low and keep sanding. It's looking good.

Looks like you may have had your PSI just a bit to high or may have not got enough clear on there. As far as good compounds go, I love maguires products and use them on lots of the stuff I work on.

hemicudacroped2si.jpg

are you dry sanding or wet sanding if dry get wet sand paper and use water it will cut faster and the paper will last longer. and as for the comment "Painting is the easy part. its all in the sanding afterwards that makes the paint job" this is spoken like a true novice no offense but a GOOD painter can make it look just as good if not better than factory before even touching it with a quick wet sand and buff to make it like a mirror unfortunately top down is the victim of dusting his clear on wich makes for a lot of sanding i would also go to a courser sand paper to help take it down faster

Have you sanded the color coat before the clear? If not, go down to 1500 wet, and use some dish soap, a drop or two in the bucket will go along way. Keep it up and dont get discouraged, it'll be worth it in the end.

I sanded the side of the left fender this morning with 1500 and 2000 grit. Some parts on the fender seem to have a clearer reflection than others, and I'm not sure why.

The picture with the obvious orange peel is the top of the left door which has only been lightly sanded with 1500 grit wrapped around a sponge. I'm nervous that in order to match the highs and the lows of the orange peels, I will end up sanding to the paint, which I want to avoid.

I've watched some videos that show people sanding it as I did, and then applying an additional clear coat, in order for the new coat to fill in the low spots of the previous clear coat.

Is this a good idea, or should I keep going with the 1500 and 2000 grit.

Thank you for all the input you all have a provided, your advice and opinions are very important to me throughout this long and tiring process.

side of fenders and door 001.jpg

side of fenders and door 007.jpg

side of fenders and door 006.jpg

Hell, you could block the whole car with 1500, and shoot more clear, then do it again and again, till your satisfied, but that would make your arms tired and sore.

Auto Transport Service
Back