• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Self Painted 66 Dodge Coronet

the idea of respraying more clear is not a bad idea only if you are willing to spray it on a little thicker, in my opinion a few small runs would be easier to sand out than all that orange peal. im not a profesional although my father and little brother are. i havent sprayed base coat clear coat in about ten years until this last weekend so i figured i would post a couple pics for you for reference purposes. this is only 2 coats of clear by the way and i have not touched it with anything since i sprayed it. spray the clear on so it looks like wet paint and give about 15 min between coats or you can touch a none visible area and if it leaves your finger print or the clear kinda pulls away stringy its ready for the next coat.

0607001415.jpg

0607001416.jpg

0607001417.jpg

If you want that shiny look you have to use much more clearcoat and put it on at one time, I usally starts with a thin layer to get it sticky, looks pretty much as your paint right now, wait so it is half dry, THEN I sprays on so much clearcoat so if floats out and get that mirror surface, the only problem with that is you might get some areas on the sides where it starts to run down like curtains, the trick is to stop spraying just before that... On the other hand it is less work sanding those curtains down then you have now. On top of the car, roof, hood etc there will not be a problem. Then you get rid of those orengepeals. Good luck and awesome project!

after wet sanding, should the paint be kind of dull or should it still have shine. I have now a smooth, orange-peel free surface, but the paint seems to be dull and non-reflective. But the car still feels (to touch) as if there is clear rather than paint.

After the wet sanding the paint shall be dull, if it is shiny you haven´t sanded enough. If you sand to much you will break the clear coat down to the paint, don´t do that...
This is when it has dried from the water of coarse, if you wet a dull surface it will look a little shiny. Then you "only" have to polish up a mirror shine!
Don´t you watch overhaulin ;)

Sounds like you have sanded through the clear and into the base coat. If you see color on your paper, you went to far.

So, I believe I had made some progress with my wet sanding, and I have buffed and polished the top of the front left fender. I hope you guys enjoy the new photos, and it is now time time to tackle the rest of the car!

Buffed and Polished 001.jpg

Buffed and Polished 003.jpg

Buffed and Polished 007.jpg

only 6 more months of wet sanding and buffing and you'll be good to go. lol just kidding its looking good so far

Lookin' sweet!!!!

Finished left fender and left door. Only 75% more car to finish. Enjoy.

Buffed and Polished left fender and door 001.jpg

Buffed and Polished left fender and door 003.jpg

Buffed and Polished left fender and door 004.jpg

Looking good.
Keep on sanding and polishing, should be done by August, but it'll look SO GOOD.

Looks great!!!

Awesome, can't wait to see the final product. Even more so I can't wait to paint some of my cars.

Auto Transport Service
Back