• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Selling collector cars, how's the market for you?

A bit chilly today.

Johnny in the Nissan truck.jpg

It's just like that Alexa thing my wife bought. It listens to everything. I unplugged it a month ago and my wife hasn't noticed yet. She will probably hook it back up when she asks it to play music, but I will quietly unplug it again if she does. No I'm not paranoid, just careful who sees or hears what. :)
Put that Alexa THING in the microwave on high for 20-25 seconds. Unless it smokes real bad, then take it out right away and air the house out before wifey gets home.

Well, I just listed my 1966 Charger project car on eBay (didn't want to)

I have been selling through the regular channels, and just had a few tire kickers and "wish I had the money guys"

With this thread, this will be a interesting experiment. I have 30 views in the first 20 minutes of listing. I'm curious how many watchers/questions I'm gonna get

I listed a 66 300 on there a year ago. Lots of dreamers on that one, surprisingly, no lowballers either

My 2 sons were raised with my Mopars and such. My oldest (he's 30) does work on his cars but he likes Toyotas. He loves his little Supra even though he's driven my 69 convertible and grew up with it. I took him to a local cruise this summer in my wife's 65 Belvedere wagon and he was more excited about my friends Mini with a V-Tec motor swap. My youngest (he's 24) really could care less about cars. I bought him a go-cart when he was young. He rode it once and never asked to ride it again so I sold it. He loves his video games. It is a different generation.

As someone on the other side of the fence who has sold his car and is looking with cash in hand, I am not finding much out there right now. I am chalking it up to the time of year, and people having already put their cars away. I am new to facebook and can't access marketplace, but I do have a friend looking for me. I don't want to buy any body and paint projects, but don't mind mechanical work. Cars advertised on national sites seem way overpriced, and they have all been listed for months. When I first sold my car I was pretty excited about finding a new project to work on, now I am just frustrated.

As someone on the other side of the fence who has sold his car and is looking with cash in hand, I am not finding much out there right now. I am chalking it up to the time of year, and people having already put their cars away. I am new to facebook and can't access marketplace, but I do have a friend looking for me. I don't want to buy any body and paint projects, but don't mind mechanical work. Cars advertised on national sites seem way overpriced, and they have all been listed for months. When I first sold my car I was pretty excited about finding a new project to work on, now I am just frustrated.
It would help to know what you are looking for. There are plenty of cars out there, and even unfinished projects. Probably some in most price ranges. You may have to travel to to find what you want. I know the last one I got was 2600 plus miles round trip.

It would help to know what you are looking for. There are plenty of cars out there, and even unfinished projects. Probably some in most price ranges. You may have to travel to to find what you want. I know the last one I got was 2600 plus miles round trip.
Place a wanted ad on here and on all the FB sites. Interesting what pops up.

I sold the car in my avatar. Ideally I am looking for a 1966 or 1967 Charger, with decent driver quality paint and no rust. A 383 car would be nice but I could convert a 318 or 361 car. Might also expand my search to 68-70 Satellites or Coronets in the same condition. Being as I sold an A body my budget is limited. I did post a wanted ad about a month ago. Maybe I will update it.

I have been in Quarter Horses as a business, as a hobby, as tools sine I was 13, I am 71. I see the old car hobby parell to the horse world in many ways. It is the times. Things change in general.

Our population becomes more and more urban/surbaban. Kids in West Tx are different in general than kids in the burbs of Houston. What occupies kids minds tend to vary by where they l0ve and how they were raised. Yes they all are into tech/electronic stuff. Drag strips close, rural in many areas becomes the burbs. It affects car and horse hobbies.
$$ The costs. Both activities are more and more expensive. How many kids today are into DIY anything. Not too many. Easier to let dad buy the modern car and let dad buy the broke finished expensive horse.

Cars back in the 60's and 70' were cool. Fast was cool. Cool was good. Now many kids just soon have mom drive them to all their structured activities. Back in the 60's horses were cool, Westerns were cool. Cowboys were cool.

I could go on.

I sold the car in my avatar. Ideally I am looking for a 1966 or 1967 Charger, with decent driver quality paint and no rust. A 383 car would be nice but I could convert a 318 or 361 car. Might also expand my search to 68-70 Satellites or Coronets in the same condition. Being as I sold an A body my budget is limited. I did post a wanted ad about a month ago. Maybe I will update it.
That's what I'm selling, unfortunately mine does have rust.

I didn't really have any interest with the motor/tranny out, so I put them in. Then I started to get a little interest.

I was looking for YEARS to find a decent, rebuildable one under 7, and I found one.

I think your right, the buyers out there don't really want rusted, rolling projects. That's what I sought out years ago.

Im up to 500 views/10 watchers on eBay. NO questions or messages..

I.just find it odd, as I was watching cable for the first time in 8years, and there is A LOT of car flipping/hobby shows on, Counting Cars, Graveyard cars etc

You would THINK that would help project sales

I was looking for YEARS to find a decent, rebuildable one under 7, and I found one.

I think your right, the buyers out there don't really want rusted, rolling projects. That's what I sought out years ago.

Im up to 500 views/10 watchers on eBay. NO questions or messages..

I.just find it odd, as I was watching cable for the first time in 8years, and there is A LOT of car flipping/hobby shows on, Counting Cars, Graveyard cars etc

You would THINK that would help project sales

can you post a link to the ebay sales and are there better pics than on your for sale thread?
i have a customer looking for a 66-67 bb 4 speed charger,doesnt have to run,
but the body has to be fair or better.

can you post a link to the ebay sales and are there better pics than on your for sale thread?
i have a customer looking for a 66-67 bb 4 speed charger,doesnt have to run,
but the body has to be fair or better.
I don't have any better pics yet, haven't had time. This is auto trans car tho

I don't have any better pics yet, haven't had time. This is auto trans car tho
yes i know yours is an auto,i was curious so i went and found the ad
as a longtime seller,i can tell you right now your pics are really bad.

you need much clearer pics of the entire car outside and insides.
preferably in sunshine if possible.
this Will help sell the car i Promise you.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Dodge-Charger/202825051630?hash=item2f3950adee:g:qIEAAOSwO0Vd0fug

heres another charger look at the pics on his sale,you see what im talking about?
that car needs help too and theres already a bid on it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Dodge-Charger/133241765356?hash=item1f05d3fdec:g:N3IAAOSwUeldaa2J

Agree. Move stuff off of and away from car before pics.

First pic should be a 3/4 view of the entire car in the highest resolution you can use.

Second car looks to have a body in better condition, which surely helps.

EDIT- also avoid backlighting, that's when the light source (usually the sun) is behind the car and in front of the camera, causing the area you are photographing to be in the shade.

Last edited:
I bet the 66-7 Charger guys will say this: these cars are a love/hate model,c an be hard to sell. They can be expensive to build in relation to their value finished, some things that get expensive are, ie, the dash, missing trim, etc.

I have a friend that has about a dozen of them,and he says he cannot justify restoring them,even the Hemi 66,and the two 67 440 cars he has.

Auto Transport Service
Back