• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SGTPauls 68 Charger RT project

Thanks for the comments and the likes. Not glamorous work but I've been sanding my *** off. Guide coated and filled where necessary the roof, 1/4s, tail panel, rear valance, filler panel, and rockers. Should be pretty smooth and flat now. Will hit it with more primer and a sand out with 320 and hope to be done with those areas of the body before the body shop gets it. Lost my body shop since he is down three people and can't really do this kind of work now. So I've been searching for a new place with help from people here at this thread: Detroit area body shop wanted

A few pics of my progress:

2023 06 body work 009.jpg
2023 06 body work 010.JPG
2023 06 body work 014.JPG
2023 06 body work 015.JPG

I build this caddy for my sandpaper so i can stop getting them confused up. Top row is adhesive back and bottom row is bare.

2023 06 body work 016.JPG

Last edited:
Well I'm working on it but just don't feel like I'm moving forward very fast.... Got the deck lid and right door reprimed after sanding and working on getting all the trim, taillights, and emblems fitted so the holes are all correct before I start repriming for hopefully the last time for the roof, 1/4s, tail, and rocker areas. Some of the AMD trim holes were off a bit and I had to do some messaging around the taillights, grrrrr..... But better now than a oh crap moment after it's all painted. I have a emblem question thread here 68 charger emblem questions if you could help me out with some answers that would be appreciated. Also gutted out the old seam sealer and the minor rust along the roof rails - saw a thread here about needing to do that so I did. Great meeting a few of you are Carlisle as well. One day this car will be there. Also think I might have found a painter!! A few progress pics below. Thanks!

2023 08 body work 003.JPG
2023 08 body work 004.JPG
2023 08 body work 005.JPG
2023 08 body work 007.JPG

Finally some visible progress. Touched up the DP90 and cover it with evercoat finish sand polyester primer per the recommendations of my painter. Thick stuff. Only 60 min pot life. took a while to figure out the spray settings. Next I'll sand out the inside of the trunk and then the deck lid. Then I'll hit the body I jsut primed for one last time. I really hope it the last time I have to sand this part of the car.

2023 09 body work 004.JPG
2023 09 body work 005.JPG

The sanding didn’t go as well as I had hoped. Found some low spots and sanded down to the epoxy and even bar metal in some areas. Above the body line it came out pretty good (minimal issues) but different story below it. But at the end of the day there was a fair amount of grey primer left and car is pretty smooth. Inside the trunk is sanded out but leaving any more work for my painter. Not fun sanding inside the trunk. More finish sand primer on it this weekend. Went with three coats this time to hopefully prevent me from breaking thru on the next round of sanding. I think things will lighten up for me a bit at work now that my company has approved my requested transfer off the project I was on, so hopefully I can spend a bit more time on the car. Now I can focus on sanding it out again. Still think I’m going to have Popeye arms by the time I’m done sanding this thing…. Thanks for the likes!

2023 10 body work 001.JPG
2023 10 body work 003.JPG
2023 10 body work 004.JPG

Last edited:
Been a while so here is an update. First thanks for the likes. Much appreciated. The sanding went far better than before. I ended up with just a couple of low spots that needing very little filler. Most of it was in the tail panel for some reason. Overall it came out pretty good. Here is how it looked end of November after 180 grit sanding.

2023 12 body work 001.JPG
2023 12 body work 002.JPG
2023 12 body work 003.JPG

That was the good. Now the bad and ugly.... I noticed that some of the primer was flaking off the seam sealer at various spots. Also, pretty spongy. Posted in the body thread for help. Recommendation was to pull it all out and replace. I spent some time cutting and wire wheeling out new seam sealer. Sucks… Keep forgetting to bring my sample in to the paint store for them to look over. After I got that all done, we got some really nice low 60’s weather 2nd weekend in December, so I got it all ready and applied two more coats of finish sand. I was in a hurry to get it done since the warm weather was going away the next day, I mixed the paint wrong. Too much catalyst. Krap again…. Spoke to the paint rep from Evercoat and she said it probably will not fully dry (could hold gases inside the paint) and will probably have issues with the finish coat. Not wanting to risk that, I need to sand off the incorrectly mixed paint. Luckily, I didn’t paint everything – just the areas I needed to plus enough to feather it out, but still more backwards work…. Test sanding every couple of days, paint is still clogging up the sandpaper a bit due to too much catalyst, so I’ll wait until after Christmas before sanding. I now have the mix ratios written on the lid of all the paints. Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas!!!

Sorry to hear of your paint troubles, but it sounds like you are headed in the right direction.
Restoring these cars will test your patients that's for sure!

Merry Christmas SGT

Thanks Don. Hope you enjoy your Christmas. Looks like you might have some snow as well. Pretty green around here. Bummer.

Time for an update. After my primer fiasco in December, I let the car sit till mid - late January to cure out more. Sanded all the improperly mixed primer off. Really gummed up the same paper fast. Probably took more off than I needed to but wanted to be sure to get all the bad stuff off so no issues with the finish paint. I also noticed that the right side of the rear window support ledge had a noticeable dip in it. Put the glass in to verify how bad. Pretty good gap. Looking closer at the C pilar I noticed it was dented in - probably from the accident it was in before I got it, and I didn't notice it before. So, I cut it open and moved it to where it needed to be and rewelded together.

I picked up a used driver door at Indy and stripped that down. This was a better condition door than I had so should make my fitting of that go better.

Got a good stretch of warm weather over the last week so resanded all the stuff, prepped it, and reprimed. Again.... This time I triple checked the ratios, so no goof ups on that front. Fingers crossed and a few prayers on this sand out. :praying: I noticed a few small areas to address showing thru the primer but overall, I think it came out good. I'm definitely getting faster at getting ready to prime. :)

2024 03 body work 001.JPG
2024 03 body work 002.JPG
2024 04 body work 003.JPG
2024 04 body work 004.JPG

Spent the last almost two weeks sanding away. Came out much better but had a few burn throughs. Mostly on outside corners and ends of panels. Sure it was from not enough primer. Reapplied more primer today. All this primer is getting pricy. But what are ya going to do? Not going to bore you all with another ready to prime pic. Let it dry out and hit the sandpaper. Again....
:thankyou:

Auto Transport Service
Back