• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SGTPauls 68 Charger RT project

Congratulations on the fenders. They're like hens teeth around here. Still on the look out for a passenger fender myself. Say, your passenger fender ya got there looks a little rough. Why don't you let me take it off your hands.:toothy5:

Fender repair

Thanks for all the comments! Ok the past week I’ve been working on the right fender. Bought a cheap needle chisel that really made quick non-toxic work getting the undercoating off the fenders. The fender I bought has some rot in the front from an animal using it as its food storage locations and some nasty dents. To address this I cut off the bad and graphed in a good section from a part car fender that has a really bad crease in it making it unusable. I created a jig to hold the two pieces in place while welding it together. Came out pretty good. A few more minor items to address on this fender then off to the left side. Progress pics below. I know some of you will think I’m crazy for this kind of repair but when you have two halves they need to make a whole.

Cut off the bad stuff:
2014 03 body work 006.jpg

My jig to hold it all together:
2014 03 body work 007.jpg

Clamped up (sorry for the low # of clamps Prop)
2014 03 body work 010.jpg

All done:
2014 03 body work 013.jpg

Nice job on the patch, looking good.

Nifty little trick. Get it filled in and sanded/primered, nobody will even know the intricate work you did on this.

We'll done! I was planning on doing the same thing as soon as I find the donor. Great idea with the jig, was wondering myself how I was going to keep track of the measurements and alignment issues.:sSig_goodjob:

SGT
Love the jig idea I'm going to copy that this spring.

Good luck
Tony 67v & 67n

Nice job on the fender SGT. Great way to save an original piece.

WOW! Good stuff SGT!
Another thread for me to watch! :icon_eek:

Good looking fender patch there Sgt. I might have to send mine to you to have you fix the same area.

And............. you couldn't find more places to clamp?

Fender work continues..

Thanks for all the comments everyone. Glad to hear that my jig and front of fender was a hit. I’ve taken a few more pics of the jig to give everyone a better idea about what I did. For the wood pieces on the jig at the front of the fender I beveled my cuts by trial and error to get the right angle. I finished up the work on the right fender as shown below. I grafted in a piece down by the valance since it seemed easier than trying to straighten out what was there.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

I then turned my attention to the left fender of what I thought was going to be an easier repair than the right one. However as I started sanding out the filler I quickly found a not so good condition. Looks like the damage was more extensive than I expected. Almost looks like the fender was hit with some lead shot form the dent puller. Well hopefully this side will go as smoothly as the other. The fender is very solid and nothing other than light surface rust. Just the dented up front was more than anticipated and was very disappointing. I got the undercoating off and the headlight supports out.

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

if i did not go thru the thread, i would have thought that this was some kind of aftermarket body that you can body ( something like Dynacorn offers )

besides that, real nice work and progress

Wow you've done some really outstanding work on your Charger SGT! She's gonna look great in that QQ1 blue, and glad to see you're back at it. Keep up the great work :icon_thumleft:

The fender, part 2

Hi gang. Thanks for all the comments. Been slowly working on the Charger as life has been a bit busy lately. Just wrapped up repairing the front of my left fender. Came out pretty good and used my fender jig after flipping it around for a left hand fender. Stripped the doors down of all things not welded. Took my fenders, doors, hood and front valance in for blasting and should have them back in a week. Will then do a little leading in where I welded on the fenders then paint with DP-90. Progress pics below.

2014 05 body work 001.jpg

2014 05 body work 005.jpg

2014 05 body work 006.jpg

2014 05 body work 013.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back