• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shift selector electroluminescenes.

strokie

Local time
8:05 AM
Reaction score
Does anybody have installed a 66 Shift selector electroluminescent in a 67 Charger...
499329-dbe8f1c5b2f21f720ed7a2ad1d55bc21.jpg

I don't know if 67 wiring can be adapted to the 66 selector.
Thanks

IL gauges work off a 220v transformer. It takes a lot of voltage to excite the two chemicals that create the cool glow. Guys that don't know this and try working on gauge repair get a nasty jolt. It's funny as hell when they think that it's a 12 volt system. I don't think that it's worth the trouble grafting the transformer into the dash and wiring it up for just a shifter but it's possible.

You'll need a Power Pack, feed it from the illumination circuit, and run the output wiring. It can be done, but it's not like adding a lighted oil pressure gauge, just a bit more complicated.

Following your recommendations, the best it's to stay with the bulb.

Thanks for your help.

I have a 66 EL clock in my 67. Tapped off the white wire that went to the radio an ran to clock in console. Works fine.

I have a 66 EL clock in my 67. Tapped off the white wire that went to the radio an ran to clock in console. Works fine.
And I have seen that clock in person and it is splendid! Pretty easy to run a wire to the console to power up that shift indicator as Bob said from the radio EL feed...

Mark

And I have seen that clock in person and it is splendid! Pretty easy to run a wire to the console to power up that shift indicator as Bob said from the radio EL feed...

Mark
And if you do the 66 EL clock too then attach a splitter from that radio wire to the clock and then to the shift indicator.

Mark
My 67 don't have radio EL feed, it's 12 volts bulb...
Do you mean the white lightning wire.

Yes it does unless someone cut the wire or deleted it from it's source. It is somewhere under there. ALL 67s came with the white wire (red end) even if the radio was AM/FM (which is bulb).
Charger AM radios were all EL.
From service manual: http://www.retrorarities.com/images/bulbs.pdf

Yes it does unless someone cut the wire or deleted it from it's source. It is somewhere under there. ALL 67s came with the white wire (red end) even if the radio was AM/FM (which is bulb).
Charger AM radios were all EL.
From service manual: http://www.retrorarities.com/images/bulbs.pdf

Thanks...
I found the white wire (red end).
I will install the 66 Shift selector electroluminescent in the 67 Charger, and after I will drive all night... :D

Anyone know what a nice 66 auto top plate with the EL shift light is worth since people are talking about them in this post?

Not sure but I have an extra EL shift indicator with the housing if anyone is interested. The top plate is the same for 66 EL indicator and 67 non-EL indicator (bulb) first gens.

I'm interested to your EL shift indicator with the housing...
Thanks

Not sure but I have an extra EL shift indicator with the housing if anyone is interested. The top plate is the same for 66 EL indicator and 67 non-EL indicator (bulb) first gens.

Auto Transport Service
Back