• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shifter location advice

jjmd2006

Local time
10:24 AM
Reaction score
I am looking for advice on a 6 speed shifter location for a 68 Charger build I am doing. Despite the 2nd generation Charger being my favorite musclecar of all time, I have never actually driven any B body (or even sat in one). I purchased this car as a shell (was a 318 car) and am running a Gerst k member and aluminum block 572 hemi. I am hoping some of you that have driven 68-70 B bodies with a manual transmission may share your thoughts on the factory shifter location. All my prior experience is with building GM A bodies and the Charger stock shifter location seems really far forward. I understand they made up for this with long crazy angled shift handles. I am 6ft 3 and am sure I can reach it comfortably but appears it will require a pretty upright seat position. I have a silversport surefit tr6060 trans kit that puts the shifter location in this forward position, but it is only a matter of a few bolts and it can be switched to a mid mount (4" further back than stock) or rear mount (8" further back than stock). Tunnel is already modified so essentially all I have to do is cut the opening at whatever location I choose.

I do not have a console but the surefit kit will work with the factory 4 speed console which was my plan. If I leave the shifter in the stock location or even in the mid position I think I will still go with the factory console. In the rear position I will fabricate a custom console as the few builds I have seen where they use the factory console and slide it 8 inches rearward to accommodate the rear shift location doesn't look quite right IMO.

Any thought or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Not stock by no means. But I have the factory console in my car (70 Challenger). I raised the shifter 6" and moved it back 4" and made a block off plate to fill the hole from the factory shifter.

IMG_8674.jpg IMG_8673.jpg

When I bought my '65 Coronet it was a 4 spd with a Hurst Super Shifter (short straight up), it was moved back at least 6" from stock. Seemed about right. I immediately switched to a 727 knowing I couldn't shift a 4 spd consistently. But I realized the shifter location needed to be where it was comfortable for me during the run. Did that on each of my drag cars and on the Satellite I have now. Select the shifter you want, then position it where it is most comfortable. Cut floor/console to match.

Correction: My Coronet didn't have a Super Shifter, think it was a Pro Shifter. Short straight vertical handle.

Climb in the drivers' seat and rest your elbow/arm
on the console with the thought of having
driven 500 miles. (seat adjusted to your most
comfortable position). The shifter handle/knob
shouldn't be (when all the way forward) so far as
to lift your shoulder from the seat back, or
(when all the way back), jamb the back of your
arm into the seat back.
Took some classes on driver position. Using
this method, 95 lb, 4-1/2 foot tall women
were able to drive a 40' bus. Set it up for
you and where you're comfortable.

bel shifter.jpg
this is where the shifter lands with a ZF s6-40 in a 66Bel. that was just a handle we had for testing, a straight 6" handle is perfect.
bel2 shifter.jpg

Thanks for the responses. Decided today to move it from the front to the rear position. Easy change, just had to order the shifter with larger plate and new bronze shifter bushing. Silversport was helpful as usual. They are refunding me for the shifter that came on it and the original shaped handle. Now just have to figure out a console..........

20210926_172502.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back