• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shock choices

Axemaster24

Local time
9:03 AM
Reaction score
What choices do we have for shocks? I called Bilstein and kyb, they didn’t have much for a pre 66. Kyb has the grey gas a justs but I’m looking for a smooth ride with some tightness in steering, nothing like a qa1 suspension. What do you guys use for your “one or two steps above stock” shocks?

What choices do we have for shocks? I called Bilstein and kyb, they didn’t have much for a pre 66. Kyb has the grey gas a justs but I’m looking for a smooth ride with some tightness in steering, nothing like a qa1 suspension. What do you guys use for your “one or two steps above stock” shocks?
Kiss theory applies. Just buy some Monroes.

Air shocks!!! :bananaweed:

E260F963-1AE1-4E54-B614-579B2294ABAD.gif

Haha I haven’t had a set of air shocks since the 90’s. I might go with the blue Monroe’s but I was hoping someone might tell me the later b body shocks fit so I had more options.

Haha I haven’t had a set of air shocks since the 90’s. I might go with the blue Monroe’s but I was hoping someone might tell me the later b boxy shocks fit so I had more options.
What year and model car? If you look at the applications it will tell you the years that model shock was used.

Honestly though, pretty much kyb or Monroe’s for a mundane ride. And Bilstien, qa1, Viking for a bit of performance.

My 68 GTX has bilstiens in the front and air shocks in the back, it doesn’t ride too harsh, and handles quite nicely

It’s a 65 coronet big block car. It seems all the shock choices I found online end at 66’. I even called bilstein and Kyb.

Maybe any shock between 65-76 will fit. Thanks Pnora! I’ll try those Monroe’s and if they don’t feel good I’ll try my luck and see if a later B bilstein fits.

i have a set of monroe gas shocks on my 65 coronet. not saying they're the best but they seem to work ok for me. i'd prefer a stock type non-gas hydraulic but don't think anybody makes them anymore.

I have Bilsteins all around for my 68 that were sourced and tuned by Hotchkis. Now they offer tuned Fox brand shocks. Firm Feel still offers Bilstein.
SEARCH RESULTS,

It’s a 65 coronet big block car. It seems all the shock choices I found online end at 66’. I even called bilstein and Kyb.
Bought a set of bilsteins a few months back I don't remember the name of the company I bought them from. In the hospital right now, when I get home I will look it up and let you know. Mine is a 63 Dodge b-body, I believe the old bees are from 62 to 65 so they should work for yours.

Koni Classic orange adjustables set on 4 for the front. QA1 is also a very nice shock. I heard Viking singles are a little cheaper than the QA1 shocks. Decent shocks are worth every penny even on a street car.

Gus

I just put KYBs on my stock 62 Fury and so far am happy with them. Haven’t noticed them being too harsh as others have said. Huge improvement over what was on it because the old rears were shot. I think I paid around $130 for all four delivered from RockAuto.

Auto Transport Service
Back