• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shock Question Regarding 1972 Charger

streetmachine

Local time
2:02 AM
Reaction score
Hello. I'm trying to help someone out with a 1972 Charger Rallye with 340. The car was built back in the late 80s and early 90s so it's kind of a day two car and has stockish shocks up front and air shocks back to help give it a rake with the wheels and tires it has currently. I know some people aren't keen on air shocks but, these shocks have never been aired full capacity and has been really part of the cars history since the late 1970s. No, known issues. My question is would it be a waste of money to purchase Bilstein shocks for the front at least? Or should the person, just stick with KYB or similar stockish style shocks? Car is just a cruiser type car at this point. Thank you in advance.

It also depends on what the goal is for the car. If the air shocks are holding it up due to saggy springs, you may want to address that. Air shocks are known to contribute to torn out shock mounting up top when they are maxed out too long.

Hello. I'm trying to help someone out with a 1972 Charger Rallye with 340. The car was built back in the late 80s and early 90s so it's kind of a day two car and has stockish shocks up front and air shocks back to help give it a rake with the wheels and tires it has currently. I know some people aren't keen on air shocks but, these shocks have never been aired full capacity and has been really part of the cars history since the late 1970s. No, known issues. My question is would it be a waste of money to purchase Bilstein shocks for the front at least? Or should the person, just stick with KYB or similar stockish style shocks? Car is just a cruiser type car at this point. Thank you in advance.
Bilstien and don't look back. They are awesome.

Waste your money and buy the Bilsteins. Or, do the smart thing and get monroe, kyb, whatever. Don't get me started on the air shock fairy tale. Yours have been on there since the 70's eh ? I've had Gabriel Hi-jackers on cars for over 50 years, ask me how many x-members have broken. We did air shock installs on cars, station wagons, etc,etc, back in the day. Ask me how many customers came back with broken x-members.

Waste your money and buy the Bilsteins. Or, do the smart thing and get monroe, kyb, whatever. Don't get me started on the air shock fairy tale. Yours have been on there since the 70's eh ? I've had Gabriel Hi-jackers on cars for over 50 years, ask me how many x-members have broken. We did air shock installs on cars, station wagons, etc,etc, back in the day. Ask me how many customers came back with broken x-members.
Shocks on for 50 years? They must rebound like molasses, never had a set last more than 7 or 8. I have owned my car 35 years have had every gas shock Monroe, KYB ETC and these are the best I have ever owned. There is a reason they are OEM on high performance cars and the shock of choice for sport car upgrades.
Also he just wants the fronts leaving the rear airs for nostalgia.

Shocks on for 50 years? They must rebound like molasses, never had a set last more than 7 or 8. I have owned my car 35 years have had every gas shock Monroe, KYB ETC and these are the best I have ever owned. There is a reason they are OEM on high performance cars and the shock of choice for sport car upgrades.
Also he just wants the fronts leaving the rear airs for nostalgia.
On several different carS over 50 years, not just one ! Not saying Bilsteins aren't good, just not worth the money for a "cruiser-type" car. But hey, to each his own, this is MY opinion.

The newest Monroe Matics are junk. I have a 72 Charger I bought in 2017 and it had a new set of Monroe Matics on it. The car had a crappy ride to it. I removed them and only one of the four shocks would extend back out after being compressed. If you look the Monroe Matics do not even have a factory warranty on them. Put some KYBs on it and it rode much better afterwards.

My question is would it be a waste of money to purchase Bilstein shocks for the front at least? Or should the person, just stick with KYB or similar stockish style shocks? Car is just a cruiser type car at this point. Thank you in advance.

You don''t need anything expensive or fancy paired with a set of old air shocks. Just pick an inexpensive-medium priced gas shock and go with it.

Auto Transport Service
Back