• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BEWARE: Monroe Shock Quality

68Satellite440

Local time
1:02 AM
Reaction score
I bought a full set of Monroe shocks from Summit Racing last year, along with some stock height 6/7 Leaf springs from ESPO.
Monroe PN# 32073
I just finally got around to putting them on the car about 2 weeks ago. I’ve drove it maybe 5 time since, and yesterday I picked up a buddy to go for a spin while he was in town visiting.
We made a couple brake held launches and a run up and down the road. I walked outside today and noticed the rear shock hanging free.
Broke the shock off the bolt eyelet.
Hardly any weld attaching the two pieces together.
Just goes to show me thats what I get for being a cheap *** on shocks.
The car has 2.76 gears so its not like it was impressive high torque launch..

With that being said, does anyone have recommendations on rear shocks for street? I have no experience with adjustable shocks, but not trying to break the bank. Thanks for the help.

75442F71-A9C0-4B28-9438-CB527673AF5C.jpeg

C30C9D14-6FCF-4762-AD3A-48367036D07B.jpeg

I wonder if it broke from spring wrap.
Anyways bilstiens are pretty up there but still in the everyman range.

I wonder if it broke from spring wrap.
Anyways bilstiens are pretty up there but still in the everyman range.
Your guess is probably better than mine.
The springs still have all the clamps on them, I haven’t removed any yet to see if it helps the car hook up.
I have read where it’s suggested to add to the front to stiffen and remove almost all the rear clamps and let the leafs fan out on launch?

Your guess is probably better than mine.
The springs still have all the clamps on them, I haven’t removed any yet to see if it helps the car hook up.
I have read where it’s suggested to add to the front to stiffen and remove almost all the rear clamps and let the leafs fan out on launch?
Yes you want all the front segments clamped with bolt clamps

call summit, monroe will replace it. Ive use them on my Bee and had a bad one a year later and they replaced it .

call summit, monroe will replace it. Ive use them on my Bee and had a bad one a year later and they replaced it .
Im thinking about upgrading to something more drag friendly that helps with traction.
Still trying to figure out what kind to use instead.

Shocking!! LOL

Might need a longer shock if it was broke off...

I have seen a new KYB rear shock do the same.
I put a full set of NAPA shocks on my 67 10 years ago, They still pass the ride and jounce test.
Not sure who supplied NAPA back then.

Forgive my ignorance, but is there specific shocks to match the Super Stock 6/7 springs? I haven’t found a answer yet
You can jack the car up and let the rear hang down on the springs and measure the total length to get you in the ball park of how much travel there is. Many companies do make LONGER shocks.

The cheap Monroe Matics are junk. I had some on my 72 Charger when I bought it. They were recently installed by the previous owner. I did not like the ride with them. I took them off to replace them, and only one of the four would extend back out after compressing them. From what I see on Rockauto and other parts places there is no factory warranty on the cheap Monroe Matics.

Auto Transport Service
Back