• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shocked by this sale. 1970 Coronet R/T HEMI clone

See the market has tanked thread.

I don't know what you guys are seeing insofar as prices lowering for MOPARs but I sure hope you are right because I'm being priced out. Yes, I have noticed old trucks fetching head scratching prices but my thinking was it's another crowd of guys who can't afford this stuff or Z28s etc. making their own thing happen from what's left. Everything I've wanted has gone for around twice what it was 4-5 years ago (I'm primarily looking at 70 SuperBees and 68 Chargers). And not just the super rare factory HEMI stuff. Just today that R/T I posted didn't even make it to bidding before a DM offer got it pulled. If the tuner crowd are next in line to be blowing money then good, I have a DINAN BMW I would love to squeeze someone on and put it toward my MOPAR.

Another fantastic "frame off" resto.
A nice looking car though.
Gotta love that phrase.

I looked a real nice 66 Satellite last Aug , hemi auto, clone as it was an orig 273 car. And it sold in a few hours at $55k

Which is IMO about top dollar for such a car.

If this guy gets any offer close to asking he better take it

Correction. It DID say $150K but was changed to $125K because that was the offer he took (for whatever reason he edited it). He claims to have gotten so many offers I don't see the point in bringing up the repo tag. It does match the VIN. Does that verify the rest of the data (R/T, N96, V code)?

Kind of weird to want a trailer queen for shows if the numbers are off and paying big bucks for it IMO. This car is gorgeous but I would be afraid to drive it.

He messaged me again asking me to call him. Sounds like the sale is falling through to me. I would like to but at this point I just don't know what a fair and realistic price would be.

Last edited:
It's up on facebook

Screenshot_20240209-183314~2.png

So the guys just playing you...
I don't think that's the case. He messaged me to let me know it was on FB where I could circumvent Ebay. He's averse to anything but cash so it's not surprising the first offer didn't pan out and now he realized he doesn't need Ebay after getting a lot of messages. Probably doesn't want to pay taxes on it. Not my business. But I'm a paper cash in hand guy and if someone's pulling a scam I find out the moment I make an offer. What do you think a fair price is?

I don't think that's the case. He messaged me to let me know it was on FB where I could circumvent Ebay. He's averse to anything but cash so it's not surprising the first offer didn't pan out and now he realized he doesn't need Ebay after getting a lot of messages. Probably doesn't want to pay taxes on it. Not my business. But I'm a paper cash in hand guy and if someone's pulling a scam I find out the moment I make an offer. What do you think a fair price is?
There is no such thing as a need to "circumvent" eBay on an eBay Motors auction. Car listings on EM are basically just classifieds. eBay does not take a cut from the buyer or the seller; they just make money off the initial posting fee. There is also no eBay-enforced or legal obligation on the buyer or seller to follow through, so people get trolled all the time (watch some recent Rob Ferretti videos about his poor Z06, for example). I got burned recently by not knowing any of this, and you have to dig down into policy pages to even learn it. They are making people think they are the superior, far cheaper option to BaT and similar sites by hiding the fact it's basically just Craigslist with a fake auction veneer on top. Stay far away.

I'm curious, I've never made a High $$ cash transaction. I would think if your bank didn't have a branch in his city, then you just get a cashiers check in your name at your local bank. Then when you look the car over and agree on a price, go to the closest bank together and cash it/get the title notarized?

unibody.jpg
Well, since we're talking other peoples' money here....iffin it were me, I'd start with the value of a nice
Coronet - say, a 500 model:
1970 Dodge Coronet 500 | Hagerty Valuation Tools

Then I'd add whatever I felt like was a fair amount for the addition of the new drivetrain, etc....
Say, $60k all in, to be generous?
One thing is for sure - dude is not going to get out of the car what he's spent on it.
Nowhere close. Numbers still matter.

I'm curious, I've never made a High $$ cash transaction. I would think if your bank didn't have a branch in his city, then you just get a cashiers check in your name at your local bank. Then when you look the car over and agree on a price, go to the closest bank together and cash it/get the title notarized?
I don't know how other people do it. I would be armed, bring a friend, and lock the cash in the trunk so it couldn't be seized in the event of a routine traffic stop. I have read plenty of stories where law abiding people have had large amounts of cash stolen from them by law enforcement and have a nightmare of a time attempting to get it returned. Sounds like an absolutely terrible experience and that we allowed our government to create such laws is atrocious. But hey, I think the entire federal government is illegitimate and actually hope the BRICS project succeeds ends the age of American imperialism so that's just me.

I don't know how other people do it. I would be armed, bring a friend, and lock the cash in the trunk so it couldn't be seized in the event of a routine traffic stop. I have read plenty of stories where law abiding people have had large amounts of cash stolen from them by law enforcement and have a nightmare of a time attempting to get it returned. Sounds like an absolutely terrible experience and that we allowed our government to create such laws is atrocious. But hey, I think the entire federal government is illegitimate and actually hope the BRICS project succeeds ends the age of American imperialism so that's just me.
The IRS would be all over this one. You would have a hard time walking into your local bank and taking $100,000 out of any account in cash.

The IRS would be all over this one. You would have a hard time walking into your local bank and taking $100,000 out of any account in cash.
Buy all my cars with cash. Generally have to give the bank notice to bring money in as they rarely have over 50K in house anymore. "What are you using the money for Wayne" and my reply is always that I'm buying dope or going to an auction... same couple of tellers that I've had for about 30 years, they just chuckle.

Wayne beat me to it. I've done the same. My bank doesn't keep more than $10,000 in house anymore, consistent with amounts that trigger reporting to IRS under money laundering statutes. I posted in another thread about my buddy getting a cash offer for a vehicle last week. We were both suspicious, because the buyer didn't have cash on him, but was going to get it from his bank that day. Turned out he had already placed an order for cash for a deal he was negotiating on another vehicle. He claimed it to close my friend's deal, and all went smoothly.

Auto Transport Service
Back