• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shop heat

They come with a vent, yes, you're right.

Not a problem, on the top link, after opening it, go down to features and you'll see it comes with a vent.
If you read it is a wall vent for fresh air

• Includes wall louver for fresh air intake ?????
I also says non vented heater in title

I really like our harmon pellet stove. It has a remote thermostat and will Start and stop on its own. Low ash pellets are great. Our natural gas bill dropped from $350 to $50. And our electric bill is less as well. Had some reservation about the initial cost but no regrets now. We spend around $500 on pellets for the entire winter and the best part our old house in no longer cold. Probably the limitation is how big your shop is. Not sure how big a garage our harmon would heat, easily does house with no problem.
We have a good sized shop I bought a 350,000 btu used oil furnace for it. It takes up a lot of space, about like a small building and is pretty dirty. This is the harmon in our basement. Heats the basement and two stories easily.

20221208_191337.jpg

I use a dr infrared electric heater. I leave it at 52 unless I’m working out there. It doesn’t seem to be too bad on the electric bill. My garage is 24x24 and is insulated

If you read it is a wall vent for fresh air

• Includes wall louver for fresh air intake ?????
I also says non vented heater in title
Me calling it vented was incorrect terminology. The units only require a vent for fresh air. The units are not vented as you would find in a forced air unit through a wall or roof. I used a 4 inch louvered vent in the ceiling above the unit and it exited at the gable end. I'm not an engineer, but it worked great. No gas fumes or smell. Set the thermostat and you're done. I spent hours a day for 12 years in that shop and many nights partying with dozens of my friends and no one died. I have a new one in a box that I was going to use at this new house I just moved into. I no longer have the urge to crawl under a car, but, I kept the heater In case I change my mind about heating it. I'll keep it for a while, if I don't use it in a year or so, I'll give it away. I'm sure I'll find someone to give it too.

I really like our harmon pellet stove. It has a remote thermostat and will Start and stop on its own. Low ash pellets are great. Our natural gas bill dropped from $350 to $50. And our electric bill is less as well. Had some reservation about the initial cost but no regrets now. We spend around $500 on pellets for the entire winter and the best part our old house in no longer cold. Probably the limitation is how big your shop is. Not sure how big a garage our harmon would heat, easily does house with no problem.
We have a good sized shop I bought a 350,000 btu used oil furnace for it. It takes up a lot of space, about like a small building and is pretty dirty. This is the harmon in our basement. Heats the basement and two stories easily.

View attachment 1384559
How much floor space does that take up? What's it rated for in square feet heat coverage? Been considering replacing the wood stove in the house. May not be a bad idea for the shop either.

https://www.harmanstoves.com/browse/stoves/pellet-stoves
if you can run the chimney directly out the wall the pellet stove doesn't take up much space. I had to run a pipe away from the wall and then put in a custom triple walled chimney going out the sill plate of my house. Actually the biggest challenge was getting the 400+lb stove down my basement steps. I made a skid and rails out of wood, used 60' of straps went out the back door and lowered it down w my pickup. It worked....and was pretty hilarious. We also found a dealer for harmon and saved about 700 by buying a floor model it was about $3500 at the time. There are other brands out there less expensive that could be bought for a shop.
Here is a link for Calculator for pellet stove sizing, we bought ours for supplement heat but our 120k btu furnace seldom runs any more. A friend out in Pennsylvania bought the same model we have, they like it as well. They complained that propane cost was terrible, I haven't heard them complain since they installed the stove. Probably the biggest benefit our house feels warmer w the wood heat vs our furnace.

How Many BTU Pellet Stove for 500-3,000 Sqft Homes (Calculator) - PICKHVAC

Screenshot_20221209-074109_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Many municipality codes don't allow the ventless type of heater. That means insurance companies probably won't cover any damages arising from them.

I had an Englander stove; it probably took up a 3x3 interior corner in my basement. Maybe 4x3, now that I think about it, counting space for the chimney behind it. It had a wall on one side, and behind it, that I faced up to a chair rail with ceramic tile for heat reflection, and it was on a tiled concrete basement slab.

Auto Transport Service
Back