• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shop Recc. for Metal Work on 69 Plymouth near Chicago

AGillySuit

Local time
1:06 PM
Reaction score
Apologies if this doesn't quite belong here.

Does anyone have any recommendations for shops that deal with metal work/restoration for these cars (specifically a 69' Satellite) near Chicago?

The car needs some extensive work done, including frame work. The car is already stripped down to bare metal.

As much as I want to do all of it myself, there comes a time when a man has to realize that he's in over his head. I can paint, I can do light bodywork, and I'm capable of mechanical work, but replacing major structural components without compromising the car seems a bit of a tall order for me. The will is there, but not the skill and proper equipment.

A smarter man would've cut his losses but this was my uncle's first car and was left to me, so it holds a fair bit of sentimental value and I'm not keen on consigning it to the scrap heap. I'd rather see it brought back from the dead than crushed into a little cube.

Basically just want to see if there are some shops in the Chicagoland or Illinois area you guys might recommend to tackle it. Or even some guys that don't have official shops that might be willing to do the work.

My suggestion.
Magnum Auto Restoration | La Salle IL
Mark's a good guy, honest, and everyone at the shop does great work. He's not the cheapest and not the most expensive. At the moment he has a 2 year wait to get into the shop, but if you're looking to just get metal work done, he might be able to get it in a lot sooner. It can't hurt to give him a call.

My suggestion.
Magnum Auto Restoration | La Salle IL
Mark's a good guy, honest, and everyone at the shop does great work. He's not the cheapest and not the most expensive. At the moment he has a 2 year wait to get into the shop, but if you're looking to just get metal work done, he might be able to get it in a lot sooner. It can't hurt to give him a call.
I heard of them, they're the ones who are restoring that Daytona that got wrecked in that hurricane not too long ago.

And yeah, I really just want to get the more serious metal work done. If it were something like a floor pan or quarter panel, I'd probably have a bit more confidence tackling it myself but the frame stuff just makes me nervous. I just don't have the skill, or the proper equipment to keep everything true and together while the rails are replaced.

They're restoring the Superbird that got wrecked by hurricane Ian, the Daytona is being restored by a shop in Florida. The Superbird should be completed and on display at the MCACN show this November.

I can't speak for Mark, the owner of Magnum, but I do know they do everything from simple detail work to complete rotisserie restorations and they specialize in Mopar's. They can handle the work that you're looking to get done. Mark's a very personable guy, give him a call and talk to him about what you need done. On a side note, I think it's awesome that you're going to put your uncle's car back together.

They're restoring the Superbird that got wrecked by hurricane Ian, the Daytona is being restored by a shop in Florida. The Superbird should be completed and on display at the MCACN show this November.

I can't speak for Mark, the owner of Magnum, but I do know they do everything from simple detail work to complete rotisserie restorations and they specialize in Mopar's. They can handle the work that you're looking to get done. Mark's a very personable guy, give him a call and talk to him about what you need done. On a side note, I think it's awesome that you're going to put your uncle's car back together.
Yeah it's a bit of a daunting task, truthfully.

Given the damage this car has endured over the years sitting under a tarp, the "smart" thing would be to cut your losses and run lol. But I'm a bleeding heart at the end of the day, so I'm rather attached to it.

I've built cars before (mostly on 1980s GMs like my current autocross 82' Z28), so mechanical, electrical, and light body work are definitely in my wheelhouse. This sort of thing is a little bit beyond what I'm confident in being able to tackle. I've seen worse cars on here and the facebook groups, but time has definitely taken its toll. Calling it Swiss cheese would be a fitting description.

Not near Chicago, but perhaps the most cost effective way to get the metalwork done on a car that requires a ton of replacement would be to ship the car to GA to the AMD Installation center. The Installation Center

Blue Star Performance in La Salle, IL may be worth talking to. While I have never had any work done there, I have bought a few parts from them. They have a very good reputation.

Blue Star Performance in La Salle, IL may be worth talking to. While I have never had any work done there, I have bought a few parts from them. They have a very good reputation.
Blue Star sells parts. He used to be semi partnered up with Mark of Magnum but they are not working together now I don’t think.

It's been almost 15 years since I have been there. At that time they were building cars, to bad they quit.

It's been almost 15 years since I have been there. At that time they were building cars, to bad they quit.
Magnum is building cars, it’s a well known shop. I’m not sure how the name change and division with the parts business that is still called Blue Star took place. Magnum moved to a new larger facility 10 or 12 years ago that is close to the tollway too.
Blue Star Performance | Classic Mopar Parts and Services

When Mike and Mark were together at Blue Star, Mike was primarily handling the parts end of the business and Mark was primarily handling the resto end. Mark started his own business, Magnum, and Mike kept Blue Star. Mike and Mark are still friends, just doing things separately now.

Yeah it's a bit of a daunting task, truthfully.

Given the damage this car has endured over the years sitting under a tarp, the "smart" thing would be to cut your losses and run lol. But I'm a bleeding heart at the end of the day, so I'm rather attached to it.

I've built cars before (mostly on 1980s GMs like my current autocross 82' Z28), so mechanical, electrical, and light body work are definitely in my wheelhouse. This sort of thing is a little bit beyond what I'm confident in being able to tackle. I've seen worse cars on here and the facebook groups, but time has definitely taken its toll. Calling it Swiss cheese would be a fitting description.
Some of them are certainly a daunting task. It sounds like yours is one of those. But, it sounds like you understand what you're up against and you're being realistic about what you can handle and what you need to job out. That's a big part of what a lot of people miss. "The smart thing to do" and "Mopar restorations" don't belong in the same sentence, lol. As I'm sure you know, if you're going to do these things, you have to do them as a passion, not a money maker. Good luck with the project and please keep us informed.

Auto Transport Service
Back