• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I advance this cam?

Grabbergreendream

Local time
7:07 AM
Reaction score
I picked up a running 19k mile 76' 440 out of an RV for next to nothing. I have several others, one of which is being built by a shop currently. I wanted to re-gasket this engine & put a proper pickup & pan on it as well as some other bolt-ons & paint & put it in the corner for a future project. I dont want this to be a high dollar build, and am already in deep($) on a few other engines. I have this cam & it is new. The rest of the engine is bone stock besides a Holly SD. Is there any advantage to installing it advanced?
20220406_184946.jpg

I don’t see why. If it were a bigger cam and you were trying to get back a tiny bit of bottom end then maybe. This is already mild, should be a tire burner as-is without any help.

Should be a smooth running cam as is. 112 centerline if ya advance it probobly wouldn’t have much up top. Strait up might give ya little of both.

We ran that cam in a 75 rv 440, 1 3/4 headers and a nice thermoquad. I don't think I would advance it. It ran really good straight up.

Thats a small cam for a bigblock.

Agree with others, leave it. It is already advanced 5* if installed as per the card.

Just about any cam that small and the intake opens that late will build decent cylinder pressure. Basically, it looks like an RV cam to me and that's what they were supposed to do. Makes a low compression engine 'think' it has more compression than what it has. That's why you don't want to run one of those in say an engine with 10.5.....

Auto Transport Service
Back