• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I buy this 1978 Z28?

Well, I bought it. I'll go get it next weekend, Steamboat Springs, Colorado is 3 1/2 hours from Colorado Springs. The VIN checks out as far as I can tell. It does have an L in the VIN showing it's a 350. It had all the doodads in the right places. It's definitely been repainted and poorly since all the clear coat is coming off. The frame rails and the A-pillar were solid. A couple of things I checked, it does have a posi The 4-spoke steering wheel is cord wrapped. It shifts and runs well. It pulls a little to the right. It has power windows. The engine looks very original. The air cleaner still has the flex tubing going down to the front of the car. the doors don't sag. All in all, I think it was worth $5500.

I drove the '97 SS up to see it. On the way home I stopped at Winter Park and took the T-Tops off. I recommend driving through the mountains in a convertible or T-Top car. It's a near-religious experience.

It will look like this in a few weeks. I noticed in the High Country the Aspens are already changing colors.

Kool! Post some pix after you go through it and pretty it up!

Just a FYI on that side trim that was so popular in the late 1970s and early 1980s: They are aftermarket items and the metal frames/channels that hold the vinyl rub strips are riveted to the car. You might want to remove them and weld up the holes if you are going to repaint the car. Your car will look better without them.

Curious about one thing. Do the rub strips on the doors touch the fenders when the doors are opened all the way? I ask because the end piece on the forward end of the door looks odd.

My mom had those bodyside moldings. The leading edge at the door to fender gap is tapered at a 60 degree angle to clear the fender.

My mom had those bodyside moldings. The leading edge at the door to fender gap is tapered at a 60 degree angle to clear the fender.
There are a couple of different styles. The one you mentioned (like on my '79 300) and one that has a long, flat lead-in and is unsightly if you ask me.

BTW, the original aftermarket manufacturer is still in business. They are in San Diego.

This is a quote from RunCharger in my fastest-appreciating car thread.

Second gen Camaros, I seen them starting up about 3 years ago and they have doubled and a bit in that time.

Camaro cultists are incurable. You won't lose any money with your purchase price of $5,500.

Great car for the money. I had a 79z actually 2 and a few 70-81 trans ams

Auto Transport Service
Back