• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should this turd be saved....

Looks like a 71 I had because it had sustained some front left fender damage that was not properly repaired prior to my sale of the car. Where is it located and which engine and tranny are in it?

Guys, saved this 71 from the crusher, but now having thoughts should it just be a parts car. Its just a plain Jane 71, small block, low option car. Trunk is good and minimal rust in front floorboard. BUT, some one in the past rolled down the windows, wrapped a cable around the roof and picked the car up with a fork lift. Cable crushed both sides of the roof. I do not have the skills to fix that. AMD does not list a roof skin for this model. So, if invested 10 grand in a restoration , what would the car be worth, 8 grand....maybe? I have returned several old clunkers to desirable cars again, and hope long after I m gone someone else can enjoy them. As I say, they only made so many and many fade away each year. But wondering after many of us old farts are gone if any young uns will care. Thanks View attachment 964327View attachment 964328

I find way too many guys in this hobby require every thing to be restored to perfect. Much enjoyment in this hobby can be had be had to fix as presentable as you can, drive and enjoy it!!!
Cars have always come and go. I try to figure what any car I have is worth IF I want to sell at any stage of the game. Seems the more $ and sweat I put in a car, the more likely I am to lose some $$ at sale time. I knoweveryone says thi a hobby and hobby's cost money. I could never afford to treat myself to that that notion.

Me, I the optimist and only see a few hours of hammer and dolly work hammering from inside the roof to outside. If you have more time than money it may take you long Saturday to knock most that out as long as windows and doors seal now. You can by a cheap set of body tools from HF or buy great used tools on CL for twice as much more. I do not think those three dents that big a deal. When you hammer start on the outside of dent and work to the dent. Not at the dent itself.
Me, I’d fix, you will never get another chance like this again.

Good candidate for a road machine. I often thought about getting a base car like that, putting in a fuel infection V8 from late 90's with an OD trans and using it as a daily driver. Things like AC and better seating (from some junkyard donor) would be a bonus. Earl Scheib paint job and your all set.

I'll chime in, too. Thanks for saving it! Not every build has to be super valuable. I'd rather see honest people buy and enjoy these cars. I don't care to see flipped "barn finds," all the time. People hassle the owners until they give up, lower 'em down to the bump stops, put some oversize Chinese cast aluminum wheels on it, and sell it as a collectors item that sits on eBay for a year because of the astronomical prices.

Off rant. Looks like a totally repairable find, even if you don't want to pursue it. The history is better as yard art than squished in a cube.

Get real..
This hobby is as wacko as what's going on in our streets.
It's a wasted 71 turd 318 part it out and grow a pair...
Now if it was a V code then save it..

Well, the beauty of it is that since it's not exactly a pedigreed big buck rascal,
you can pretty much make whatever you like out of it.
Go as nuts on it as you like!

Fix it and have fun with it we don’t get to rescue stuff that clean where I’m at in the Midwest they are all rot buckets

Get real..
This hobby is as wacko as what's going on in our streets.
It's a wasted 71 turd 318 part it out and grow a pair...
Now if it was a V code then save it..
So I guess this U code 440 Magnum 4 speed manual, N96 Dana R/T doesn't make the cut then? I believe that there was around 100 V code 71 Charger R/T cars built. My friend has one,good luck finding another one.
20200405_181101.jpg

It's been done, but unlike my friends 71 GTX convertible, I have not seen a third generation Charger that has a working convertible top. Just a third generation Charger with the roof cut off.

I m not sure what I paid for it. A guy had the 71, a 72, and a 73 in his Dads yard and Dad wanted them gone NOW. He was asking like 4 k for them all saying the 71 was going to the crusher if nobody wanted it. The 72 was a numbers matching 318 auto plain jane with 43k miles and absolutely NO rust. I done that one first and its up for sale. The 73 is getting road ready restored now. I gave 1800 for all three. Cost me 600 to get all hauled home. The interior is all there on the 71 but needs a complete makeover. No drive train and only some rust in drivers floor. Trunk is all good sheet metal. Needs drivers fender, that one s too far gone to save. Thanks guys, of course it is not costing a thing sitting there, but not sure if its worth me tackling such a job at this time....

It is great to be able to save old Mopars or stray dog and cats, but people have to be realistic as to their abilities to restore, rebuild, spend $$$$, space and the wife's mental state of mind!
I have had over the decades bought all of the "desirable" Mopars now I find my pleasure in the lesser honored models, I can as good or as sorry as I want!!!

i would repair roof seen a lot worse come in my buddy's resto shop or put it up for sale it's entry level for someone who's looking for a project.

I'll chime in since I've had tons of these !
A part out isn't a bad thing it helps other cars get fixed
It is just a stripper 318 car from what I'm understanding maybe worth $11-14k done
It's rough . I would attempt to sell as a mad max project or something it's still together and looks cool .
If you can do the work you could fix it up but I'd bet there's a ton more issues with that car .

Good feedback opinions , Guys, thank you. I have kept it out of the weather for at least ten years and hauled its carcass halfway across the state to my new home. I would like to see her made roadworthy again or to someone with the means and desire to make that happen again. Every year the fewer left are slipping to non doable restoration candidates .

Auto Transport Service
Back