• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shout out to my 6 bbl cousins

biomedtechguy

Accelerati Rapidus Maximus
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:18 AM
Reaction score
I have had less problems than some with my 6 bbl setup on my 70 V code Roadrunner. I have tuned and tweaked, with help and advice from Bob "Mr 6 pack" K, Phil Phish, and people on this forum. Even though I don't have an A12, I LOVE 'EM and they are the closest thing engine/driveline-wise to what I have. So thanks for leading the way back in 69.5 for the short but glorious "run" the 6 bbl 440 had. I have mine dialed in pretty good, and WOW! what a kick in the *** when those outboard carbs open! Good drivability too, and major eye candy. When a 6xx HP/TQ build happens, the 6 bbl setup is not negotiable-it WILL remain atop my mill. I have been very impressed with the multiple articles that I have read comparing modern top performing carbs and intakes to the 6 bbl, and overall the 6 bbl is neck and neck with the best of them in the range of power I want. FOURTY-SIX (.5) years later the mighty 6 bbl still shines against the competition!

Right there with you, I have been running them off and on since 1979. I even sold a '69 hemi GTX back in '82 to buy an A12 Super Bee becouse Iliked the 6 barrels better. For all around cruising and full throttle blasts they can't be beat. Although I will say the single 950 on my 472 hemi is alot of fun. From gas station to gas station!

Right on. I respect and appreciate the "big picture" of the A12 cars. A "basic" go fast car devoid of anything BUT go fast engineering and parts. It just so happens that they also LOOK EXTREMELY MENACING! lol. True bad assed street fighters! The 1/4 mile times Bob "Mr 6 pack" K has been knocking down for years in his stock class Bee is a true testament to their design and function..and his exceptional driving skill. Man, a year ago I kept blowing my 275/15s off every time I floored it at the track, and that's with a 4 speed and a 3.54 rear gear. A 4.10 like he has along with stock size polys is a REAL traction nightmare.

I've had my 70 V code GTX since 1979 and it's always been a blast to drive.
Bob K. (Mr. Six pack) lives about 5 miles from me, installed one of his cams a few years ago and I'm very happy with it.

Here's Bob delivering a cam at my place in his Belvedere (Hemi six pack), definitely a Mopar legend.
Mr six pack (4).JPG

Cool pic, yep! that's him...Your post has my Mopar brain a little scrambled. V-code GTX?? Hemi 6 pack ?? My understanding is that the 70 GTX had 2 engine choices: standard 440 4 bbl, optional 426 Hemi and that's it. I have NEVER heard of nor seen a V code GTX of any year. I also have never seen a 6 pack Hemi.

My car is a 1970 v code, factory 440 six bbl, four speed, track pack car ( they where available with 440 four bbl, 440 six bbl, and Hemi).
Beginning in 1970 and forward all six pack car's where V code.

The pic is of Bob's 1965 Belvedere with a 426 Hemi with a six bbl setup bolted to it ( this was never an option on a Hemi, it is a aftermarket part).
Hope this clears it up a bit.

Mr six pack (2).JPG

Last edited:
My car is a 1970 v code, factory 440 six bbl, four speed, track pack car ( they where available with 440 four bbl, 440 six bbl, and Hemi).
Beginning in 1970 and forward all six pack car's where V code.
I appreciate the reply. I agree that post-A12 440 6 bbl cars, no matter what body they were in, are V code. I still have to contend that the V code 440 six bbl was NEVER available as a factory option on a GTX, while the Roadrunner never had a 440 4 bbl as an option.

I just looked up the brochure that I thought (lol) I had in memory . I see that the 6 bbl WAS a GTX option. Sorry, I will have to keep my eyes peeled for one in person . Thanks! Good looking ride 68 Hemi GTX ! I saw what looked like a perfect clone sell on ebay a few years ago for $2X,***. I think it was $22k. Someone got a bargain!

440+6...I hear ya man! I stand corrected. Very nice! A "S" and a "V" in the VIN = one bad assed "gentleman's muscle car"

Auto Transport Service
Back