• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Side pipes on 70 charger

Sheriffandy013

Local time
7:33 AM
Reaction score
Any pics of any 68-70 chargers with side pipes? Don’t crucify me for this but I saw this on a 70 coronet and it looked good. My car going to be lime green and was wondering what black side pipes might look like..

My buddy had them on his 70 440 6 pack back in the day. If they’re the right style, they look good. I had them on my 78 D150. I got a lot of compliments on that truck.

I found a tab welded to the rockers on my Superbird, indicating that it had side pipes on it at some point in life!

.. and my Wife NEVER wore shorts when driving her '64 Stingray because of her "off road" exhaust.

I sold a lot of them back in the 70's.

img144.jpg

When I bought my first Charger back in 1980,it was a 69 318 car,I bought a set of the Thrush cast aluminum side pipes. When I was installing them at 16 years old, I drilled the rocker panel and pinch weld on the drivers side and installed the two brackets for the side pipes, then I ran the illegal flex pipe from the header to the side pipe. While I started repeating the process on the passengers side, when I drilled the hole for the rear bracket through the pinch weld, this liquid started pouring out of the hole I just drilled with my step dad's Black and Decker electric drill! The liquid was gasoline! That's right, I drilled right through the steel fuel line! Check for fuel lines and brake lines before drilling holes in the pinch welds! It's only by the grace of God that I was blown to the moon that day! Lol

Thanks for the comments! Still hoping for some pics. Envisioning black pipes with the green car!

Google "Dodge Charger with side pipes" and a bunch of stuff comes up to sift through..

Here's one, I gotta get to work! LOL

Side Pipes? Page 5 has a RRunner with Black pipes..

when I drilled the hole for the rear bracket through the pinch weld, this liquid started pouring out of the hole I just drilled with my step dad's Black and Decker electric drill! The liquid was gasoline! That's right, I drilled right through the steel fuel line! Check for fuel lines and brake lines before drilling holes in the pinch welds! It's only by the grace of God that I was blown to the moon that day! Lol

1668526999785.png

All kidding aside, I think they look pretty good. The nice thing about the 70's mopars is that the body tapers in significantly below the door. That tucks the side pipes in where you shouldnt get burned.

Side pipes give a unique look to a car such as a race car.

I built a Cobra kit car 20 years ago and I made the headers an a special set of side pipes.

I built them from Semi exhaust stacks I think it was 8 inch diameter.

They were baffled with chambers and the chambers were covered inside with header-rap.

The assembly was shoved into the chrome semi stack and it was very warm but not hot.
snake 2.JPGveiw (2).JPGside shot.JPG

Last edited:
They sure don't sound good though and the front pipes to hook them up are plumbers nightmare. They need a Y pipe.

I love this van !! I had a 75 swb with the single rear door, 318 auto. I insulated and panelled the interior. Built the bed and counter. I camped in that with my dog almost every weekend. I loved that van.
Thats cool. My van has 70s paneling on the walls roof and doors in the back. It has black diamond tuck over head in the front seat area with spotlights. Vans are making a comeback. My wife calls my van the perv van and won't get within 50 feet of it! LOL She got mad when I told her perv stands for Pete"s Excellent Recreational Vehicle!

Auto Transport Service
Back