• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver or Gold Pentastar Emblem; Which One?

themechanic

Oklahoma is OK
Local time
3:15 AM
Reaction score
Retailers are selling both silver and gold Pentastar emblems that adorn the lower right front fenders on our beloved cars. The one on my Coronet is gold. But is there a reason for having the emblems in two distinct colors? The interweb is not much help on this topic.

No speculating, please. Post your answer only if you have a source.

Thanks FBBO

My answer is gold per my '68. Don't have any knowledge on the silver.

I talked with a big name supplier and they have had many customers asking for the silver emblem like the one currently on my car. And after many conversations with these customers trying to tell them their old faded now silver emblem is supposed to be gold they gave up. The buyers were telling them they wanted the silver emblem so they started supplying what the customer was demanding.

My Charger has a gold emblem & the Road Runner has a silver emblem. Could it be the difference between Dodge & Plymouth?

As I understand it there never was a Silver one throughout MOPAR's use of them during our muscle car and the regular drivers of the 60's and early 70's. It may have come about later but for most of the ones I have seen, they are all Gold. Keep it traditional IMHO...cr8crshr/Tuck:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:

As I understand it there never was a Silver one throughout MOPAR's use of them during our muscle car and the regular drivers of the 60's and early 70's. It may have come about later but for most of the ones I have seen, they are all Gold. Keep it traditional IMHO...cr8crshr/Tuck:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:
In the late 90s, many of the Neons, Intrepids, and minivans has silver pentastars put on them. Others had it molded into the lower body plastic like on my old Concorde and Grand Cherokee.

On my dad's 70' Challenger RT, it's silver, factory installed.

Your 1969 Dodge Coronet R/T Pentastar R/F fender emblem was a gold anodized O.E.M. piece, when car was new. Any other colored Pentastars (whatever they may be), are not correct...
Cheers!
$_3.JPG

Last edited:
I need to buy some other parts from Loretta at Detroit Muscle Technologies (DMT). They are a FBBO sponsor and great folks to deal with. Their Ebay store add says they are the manufacturer. So, I'm going for Gold. I got this photo from a competitor's page since it shows the front and back. Thanks.

s-l1600.jpg

I, myself wouldn't drill a hole in the fender for the "stem"... I would cut the stem (s) off, & glue the Pentastar emblem onto the fender. Every time you drill a hole, it will leave bare metal, and start the rusting process. Albeit - on a small scale, but your choice of course. Many body shops, remove (read) "knock/pry-off" Pentastars, from the fenders, just to avoid having to deal with them. The last two '65 Satellites that I have owned, did not have a Pentastar, on the R/F fender. No holes either, as they were filled...

Last edited:
The fenders are drilled from the factory the studs.

The fenders are drilled from the factory for the studs.
From the OE factory yes, but how about the aftermarket fenders? I've seen one to many top dollar restored cars with the Pentastar missing and no holes in the fender. The body shops must fill in the holes or the holes were never there.

Last edited:
Yeah, the aftermarket doesn't drill the holes. Which begs the question, AMD says their stuff is accurate, same gauge metal and so on, so where's the holes?

Auto Transport Service
Back