• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Simple spark plug question...

TomAce82

Local time
8:01 PM
Reaction score
Is there a plug that uses a 5/8 socket with the same characteristics of a stock 13/16 head plug? I have header clearance problems on my 383 Belvedere. Thanks!

Last edited:
You should be able to cross reference them what ever brand plug your running just make sure the plug depth heat range is the same take a plug in where ever you go to match it up you just need a real parts guy not a autozone computer jockey lol good luck

Should be able to take whatever plug you are using and cross reference it to a smaller 5/8 plug. I had to do the same to my 360 for my Power Wagon when I used the Magnum heads. They use the smaller plug holes and needed the smaller plugs.

Thank you both. To clarify, I have stock heads with stock plug holes. Just looking for a part number that I can put right in. For example, Autolite 85 but with a 5/8 head size. I understand I need the same plug depth and heat range, I’m looking for the plug part number that someone has ran under these circumstances (header clearance, can’t get socket on 13/16” plug) I’m reaching out to the guru’s vs. the parts kids. Anyone had this issue? What plug did you use?

To the best of my knowledge there are no plugs that fit your heads and use a 5/8" socket. Over the years I have "modified" a 13/16" socket by cutting a window in the side so that the socket could slip sideways on to the plug and then used a 13/16" open end wrench to turn the plug socket. Also, on some heads/headers it's possible to use an offset box wrench on the plugs instead of a socket. The wrenches can be heated and bent to fit , as well. Last resort, remove the headers, heat the pipes where there is interference and use a piece of iron pipe and a hammer to gently put "clearance" where the manufacturer should have. All a part of hot rodding. Good luck!

To the best of my knowledge there are no plugs that fit your heads and use a 5/8" socket. Over the years I have "modified" a 13/16" socket by cutting a window in the side so that the socket could slip sideways on to the plug and then used a 13/16" open end wrench to turn the plug socket. Also, on some heads/headers it's possible to use an offset box wrench on the plugs instead of a socket. The wrenches can be heated and bent to fit , as well. Last resort, remove the headers, heat the pipes where there is interference and use a piece of iron pipe and a hammer to gently put "clearance" where the manufacturer should have. All a part of hot rodding. Good luck!

Thank you! Helped me to not go in circles at the parts store. I was hoping that wasn’t the answer, but figured it might be. For reference, my headers are the Summit Brand ceramic coated type. Love everything but the plug situation!

Last edited:
I am running an NGK FR5 plug but I believe it has a farther reach then a stock plug. It is what is needed with the Magnum style heads I am using.

The smaller plugs are mostly taper seat and the larger one seal on a gasket

As Dave says, you're not restricted to a socket. I've used open end, box end, offset, custom homemade bent wrenches, homemade cut sockets... whatever it takes to remove or install for a snug fit. Gorilla torque is not necessary.

Auto Transport Service
Back