• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Simple tranny fluid question

dave5237

Local time
3:16 PM
Reaction score
Found My answer. Sorry guys ( 8 qts )Hello. How many quarts does a stock 727 torqueflite transmission take. That great 68 manual is so wonderful that I have looked for a half hr and cant find the capacity. Also having a hard time reading that tranny dip stick. Thanks.

I had my transmission rebuilt last year and I think the converter and cooler hold two quarts.

L O A D E D question!
Stock what? A slant six car could be had with a 727. Those would be the low end of the scale. The Imperial with the 12" super low stall converters would be at the other end.

Charts are only a good starting point- the only way to know for sure is to read the dipstick. And if the trans is low on fluid, it will be sluggish to engage any gear.

Charts are only a good starting point- the only way to know for sure is to read the dipstick. And if the trans is low on fluid, it will be sluggish to engage any gear.

Hello. It is a stock 727 tranny with a 1968 440 engine. It is reading on the dipstick but hard to get a good read. l wonder if this is why it is stalling when I put it in gear because it is to low. Thanks

You must check the level with warm tranny and the shifter in N.

Auto Transport Service
Back