• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sitcoms no longer on the air that you miss.....

Crime Story
Dukes Of Hazard
Charlies Angel (with Cheryl)
Hogan's Heroes
MASH
EMERGENCY
Barney Miller
Hawaii 5-0 (60s, not the modern ****!!)
Miami Vice
Crime Story
was an awesome old show

not really a sitcom
Crime Story 90's TV Series - Dennis Farina & 57 Chrysler 300 Convertible.jpg

Crime Story TV series.jpg

Soap - very funny.

Green Acres & Petticoat Junction (the spin-off series)

Dads Army (British show) - set around a Home-Guard troop preparing to stop the Germans invading the English coast during WW2

Father Ted (British show) - sadly the led actor dies after on 3 short seasons.

Fawlty Towers (British show) - 13 episodes of absolute comedy gold with John Cleese.

yeah I forgot about Green Acres, used to watch it a lot
early Am/mornings like 5:00 & 5:30am (IIRC)
while sitting drinking coffee, getting ready to go off the work

Barney Miller........

WKRP In Cincinatti.........

Some other comedy .............

That 70's Show - reminded me of high school and Red Forman is one of the all time great TV characters.
M*A*S*H - seasons 1-3. Once Henry and Trapper left, it was on it's way to preachy town.
Barney Miller - great character development.
Seinfeld - was pretty solid through all 9 seasons.
Andy Griffith - Clever and really funny moments for it's time. I still watch it almost every day.
King of the Hill - not really a sitcom but damn funny.
WKRP - Great characters.

Honestly I never was a sitcom guy except when we were kids and then it was wholesome shows like Leave it to Beaver, Andy Griffith, Father knows Best - stuff like that. But as I got a little older I never enjoyed sitcoms. If you look back at Kerns post he names a bunch of shows - but none are sitcoms. I liked pretty much all those shows he named and a few more. What I want to really say is while I wasn’t much for them - many people were, especially kids. What started to happen in TV production sometime back was the insertion of unending (and it gets worse every year) shows of violence, wokeness, weaving in of political biases and maybe the worst is the jamming down our throats of all this in your face racism and any kind of sexual smorgasbord of some peoples choices. This all has had a major, major impact on the deterioration of our culture and lost morals - We older adults know better - but kids are being fed this garbage in subliminal and outright in your face ways. As they grow up that’s all they’ll know. How destructive is it? Well you tell me. I think Hollywood pretty much across the board is a big part of the ruination of our culture and country. Sorry to be a downer but this is how I honestly feel and it really bothers me.

I'll go with the Dukes of Hazzard! Can't believe no one said it! And you call yourselves Mopar people?

I liked The Rockford Files too that was on right after the Dukes of Hazzard every Friday night!

All mine were listed at some point.
My daughter wanted to watch something a while back and I saw "Dinosaurs", it's actually hilarious and wouldn't fly in todays PC world.

Last edited:
Ok, the topic is specifically "sitcoms" - so that rules out a lot of the other-than-sitcoms some have
already mentioned.
Further, the OP requested sitcoms we "miss".
For me, it's a bit different perhaps.... for me to miss any show means it was cancelled while still
having some gas in the tank, so to speak - they shut the show down while it still was vibrant and funny.

That said:
I have tons of old shows I love - and thanks to YouTube and the various TV platforms (plus a little bit
of cheating involving a certain bootleg site), I get to binge watch them - but most all of them were done
anyways when they stopped airing, either out of creative ideas or just plain planned ends or what have you.

So, long-winded answer for me is: no, I can't think of any specific sitcoms I miss - but plenty I remember
fondly (and still watch reruns of!).
No, none of them are of the lowest common denominator/canned laugh track variety. Nary a one.

My generation lived through the heyday of the "Situation Comedy".
Friends. Family Ties. Growing Pains. The Wonder Years, etc.
Looking back, most of them are inane, simple and predictable. When we watched them as youngsters, they may have been entertaining and fun.
Nowadays, I can't watch any of them....Reruns of the classics that I don't remember seeing before or anything new. They are just too stupid to watch. The laugh tracks just ruin it. I'm not above lowbrow humor but I hate being told what to think.
****That was funny, you moron.....LAUGH, LAUGH, LAUGH at that!*****

Let me try this another way...
Having just perused all the previous posts, I have come up with the list of the shows
I really enjoyed in their time, regardless of their being actual sitcoms or not -
and some notable exceptions on the list are still shows I occasionally watch to this day.
It's all about the writing, man....

Married With Children - remember when it was borderline shocking?
Taxi - part of a batch of NBC upscale comedies of that era and good
Andy Griffith - always
Night Court - LOVED the edge of that show
Top Gear (the original) - Clarkson, Hammond and May only, please
M*A*S*H (first few years) - very witty and yes, funny the first handful of seasons
The Fall Guy (yeah, her...)
Late Show w/Craig Ferguson - hands down the funniest late night show ever; razor-sharp
Tonight Show w/Johnny - still watch episodes on YT sometimes
WKRP - I MISS THIS SHOW - it was totally mishandled by CBS and should have gone longer
Newhart - all - Bob was great in anything
Barney Miller - another well-written, sort of offbeat show with an edge
Wings - ditto
Whose Line Is It Anyways w/Drew - the ABC years were magical
F Troop - stupid, slapstick, awful laugh track, yes - but you could tell the whole crew
was in on the gag and it was warped, so I loved it as a kid
Looney Tunes! Anytime - about a 25 year run of brilliance
Hogan's Heroes - another that should have run longer, if not for the star being a perv
Emergency (not comedy but KMG 365!)
Soap - another "shocker" in its' time, edgy, funny as hell at moments
Benny Hill - well, yeah, it's Benny, God rest him...
Green Acres - another laugh track sitcom, but weird and yes, quirky - and edgy
Rockford Files - not a sitcom, but come on man....it's Jim Rockford

More to come...

P.S. The two best series I've witnessed in my years were both on cable channels:
- Better Call Saul (superior to its' parent series, Breaking Bad)
- Justified (might just be the best series I've ever watched - and ended too soon IMO)

Ok, I fucked up with Crime Story, OOOPPPSSS!! Hey Pete, did say Dukes, not only for the Mopars, but, of course, DAISY. Aahh Night Court, Bull da man, funny lines & a good actor.

Auto Transport Service
Back