• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Six Pack Solution

Andrew

Local time
2:02 AM
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the input on my last post. It seems in doing an engine build, I am always after the weakest link. Once that is taken care of, another pops up.

That brings me to my latest "weak link", the intake. I'm trying to buld a streetable beast.

440 Mopar w/ stroker crank yielding 500"
.060 over diamond forged aluminum pistons
Cam to be determined
10.5:1 compression
Edelbrock RPM Perf heads out of box (not ported)
.355 rear w/ 4 speed transmision
3500 lb. 70 Coronet R/T
6 pack carbs/edelbrock alum intake -

Some of you guys have pointed out that the six pack set up may not work well - idling problems, or that the edlebrock intake was not ideal. I really want to use the six pack, so if anyone has any ideas how to make it work, I'm all ears.

Who has suggested idling problems? The idle and regular driving is done on the center carb which can be tuned in a normal fashion. The two outboard carbs linkage is critical to ensure proper opening, but that isnt' too hard. be sure to coordiante your cam profile with the combination of both the 2bbl idle and drive AND the high flow of all 6 open. That is what I think the "be careful" is referring to.

Edelbrock made the original 6-pack so who else would you use?

I am going 6-pack on my 440 and I am not concerned.

Randy

If the carbs are in good shape (no worn throttle shafts) I just don't see a possibility of idling problems. This also assumes you have selected the power valve to mach the idle vacuum, correct float setting, etc.. The outboard carbs have an idle circuit as well and they need to be adjusted. I bet most of the idling problems have to do with the outboard carbs being improperly adjusted.

I am in the same boat as you are regarding my determination to use the factory six pack setup. I am building a separate 440 for my 66 Bel to use as a test bed before the real deal goes in my 69 RR.

Six pak

This has been on my car for about 5 years no problems.Talk to Ben at promax 317-484-1451.I have their metering and jet kits on my carbs.The kit makes it easy to tune your carbs.What was said about power valve is true. Everyone said this intake wouldn't work on the street.No problems idles at about 8-900 rpm

HPIM0154.JPG

HPIM0201.JPG

HPIM0200.JPG

I was refering to vaccum or lack there of . pick the right cam or you wont have vaccumm , Mr six pac has good ones , I used a summit cam , with mine on the final motor and am very happy with it . I have brakes this time

bird 71 dc brddc.jpg

fender cover.jpg

You're right on the vaccum.I have a electric vaccum pump under my fender.

GTX- How is the hood clearance? As far as vacuum goes, I don't have power brakes, but would the poor vacuum efffect the outboard carbs?

For my intake you will need a scoop.I don't think it takes much vaccum for them.Full race strip only cars run them.But i am running a cowl hood.I did have a six pak hood on it.

The problem with running the Weiand tunnel is fuel distribution. It's really the concern with all intake and carb setups because the fuel is discharged in the plenum area far away from the valves and has to make its way to the runners in equal proportions. It's called wet flow.

If you make a WOT pass with the Weiand you will find some cylinders will be rich and some will be lean. You must check every plug to determine exactly what to do. Also, jetting is not the final answer when tuning a carb. The size of the high speed bleeds affect the mixture at different RPM ranges and adds another dimension of tuning. I believe a larger high speed bleed orifice will lean the mixture at high RPM but not affect the low and mid range so much. Opposite is true with a smaller orifice size.

Has anybody tried the Barry Grant Six Shooter set up???? I just got mine over the winter and installed it on that very same Edelbrock intake.I chose to mate it with a Lokar throttle bracket and a new Lokar throttle cable. Right out of the box with just a few adjustments, it screams and out-performs my old 4 bbl setup. Ask around and see what others say on this site.

Bob's "blueprinted" cam will pull 18+ inches at idle.Ran like a scalded ape in my Challenger. Putting one in a 383 right now. Should be interesting.....

Has anybody tried the Barry Grant Six Shooter set up???? I just got mine over the winter and installed it on that very same Edelbrock intake.I chose to mate it with a Lokar throttle bracket and a new Lokar throttle cable. Right out of the box with just a few adjustments, it screams and out-performs my old 4 bbl setup. Ask around and see what others say on this site.

here is my barry grant set up on my charger , I may need to get that lokar throttle bracket and cable .

I had to fab mine and its really rigged up , I love the electronic choke. Very streetable.

dcdemonedcsdc.jpg

new demondcs.jpg

I was refering to vaccum or lack there of . pick the right cam or you wont have vaccumm , Mr six pac has good ones , I used a summit cam , with mine on the final motor and am very happy with it . I have brakes this time

What kind of AC compressor is that?

OOooooo! I LIKE Demon carbs! Based on Holleys, but with tooling thats 50 years newer! For around the same price too! [tongue-in-cheek slam at Holley]. That set-up looks awesome Stuart! This whole tread has me rethinking things......

Auto Transport Service
Back