• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sizzlin Under the Hood?

robw13

Local time
11:39 AM
Reaction score
Hi,

I got my 74 Charger to fire up earlier and after runnin poorly bout 1-2 minutes, I hear Sizzlin/Boiling from the Carb &/or Under the Valve Covers. Then I saw some drops of liquid & smoke from the Rear of Engine to the Ground. Would that be a Blown Head(s)? Don't know why it was parked outside for 20+ years. Any insight much appreciated.

Well your surest way to check for a blown head gasket would be to run a compression test. Otherwise the "drops of liquid" could just be normal condensation coming out from the exhaust heating up OR it could be due to a head gasket.

I've not dealt with too many blown gaskets but I do know I had a 400 w/ a blown head gasket the car ran like it was missing on one cylinder (or two). Then she would start blowing white smoke out of the tail pipe after about 5 minutes or so.

Oil dripping on the exhaust won't sizzle but coolant will.....

Ok, I did put Fresh Coolant in after fixing the Drain Valve. But do the 2 Heater Hoses on the Pass Side go to the Water Pump & Manifold? I did a Compression test and Cyls 3 & 4 were at 95psi and the rest were 120ish psi.

Check the exhaust studs, they go into the water jacket and will sizzle as they leak onto the exhaust.

- - - Updated - - -

You didn't say what motor you had but if it's a BB then both heater hoses should go into the water pump.

So what color were these drops of liquid goign to the ground? Catch some in a pan and examine them. Same as the new coolant? You just need to look. Possible leaks could also be from the head gaskets or the intake manifold gasket between the heads and intake manifold. There are coolant passages in the manifold.

The compression numbers are not great but too bad for a tired motor. I would expect those 2 cylinders to run weakly.

As above, what engine?

Ok, it's a 5.9 360 2bbl I've had the intake manifold prof cleaned and new water pump. Is it bad to have smoke come out of the carb after it's Ran a bit?

Ok, it's a 5.9 360 2bbl I've had the intake manifold prof cleaned and new water pump. Is it bad to have smoke come out of the carb after it's Ran a bit?

That sounds like the float needle isn't holding and the carb is leaking down. (Dripping gas down the carb).

Damn, already replaced carb once.

You can look down into the carb when you see this "smoke" after shutting down. See if you see gas dripping. New carb, probably float level too high. Engine would be running rich too.

No offense here, Robw13, but you seem to be splattered all over the place with your questions. So here is what I can best figure out for you in reverse order:
1.) Smoking carb. Could be a couple of things. Probably isn't smoke but gas vapor which could be caused a float level that is too high OR possibly the fuel boiling out of the carb due to heat soak. If this is your 2nd carb, I'd bet heat soak.
2.) You have an LA engine so it is normal for one heater hose to go to the intake and one to the water pump.
3.) Your sizzling/smoke/leak from the engine. Probably all related. Figure out WHAT it is. Are you losing coolant? Oil? Trans fluid? What are the drips on the ground you talk about? Is it Oil (brown), tranny fluid (red), anti-freeze (typically green) or water? If water or coolant then you need to figure out what it is that is that is leaking. Considering the car has been sitting for 20+ years, you may have a bad freeze plug at the back of the block or the head OR it could be, as others have said: leakage from the exhaust studs. Regardless, you need to figure out what is leaking/smoking. The smoking from the back of the engine could be anything from the aforementioned freeze plug to a leaky oil sender to bad valve cover gaskets....

Thanks for the advice guys, sorry for bein all over the place. As fsr as the Vac lines go, does the dizzy, pcv & brake booster the main ones to be hooked up?

K, there's 2 small vac ports on the back the carb, does it which one the dizzy line goes too or should it go to the main vac port on the intake?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, if water is leaking out of the top small hose (facing passenger Side), could that be cause of a clogged heater core? There's no AC Compressor.

Here's a stock pic. Autoline #C7108
getimage.jpg

Okay....just shooting from what I can see here which I admit isn't all that great.... The PVC should connect to the 3/8ths nipple that is just below the black hose on the right. The dizzy vacuum should be the smaller (5/16ths?) below that (looking at the picture). In looking at other pictures of this carb, I see there are two nipples on the other side from what we see here so that small nipple in the back may not be right but I can't get a good picture of the pass side of the carb to know what is up with those other two. You will need to see if there is a lot of vacuum on one of those smaller nipple port at a normal idle, that is a manifold port. The MAIN thing you need to be sure is that you don't connect the dizzy vacuum to mainfold vacuum. For example, Edelbrock (and carter) 4 bbls have two nipples on the front of their carb (with the pvc nipple in the middle) and of those two smaller nipples, one port is lower than the other as one is above the throttle plates (dizzy vacuum on emission cars) and one is below the throttle places (manfold vacuum).

I know on the pass side, the 2 top lines go to the charcol canister but idk bought the small one st the bottom. The bottom one on the right on the back idk either. Maybe both are intake/vaccum amp lines?

With the engine running (at idle) and with the nipples blocked off, pull one and see what kind of vacuum there is. You can hook your dizzy up to one that is showing manifold vacuum and see how it works but typically the later emission ladened cars used what was known as timed port vacuum port.

Auto Transport Service
Back