• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SKUNK

Nice lookin pooches here!
Greg, I had a Yellow Lab, Tyler (1991-2004) who was a human being.
That pup pic of Mopar reminded me of my old buddy.

One Friday evening after having a couple of margaritas, my wife and I pull into our driveway to see a mother skunk and her three newborn babies waddling through our swale. My wife is all about how cute they are and watches them walk into our culvert that goes under our driveway....so she gets out of the truck and goes to the other side to watch them come out of the culvert. Mom skunk walks out, turns to check on her babies only to see my wife hovering about three feet above them. Mom skunk turns to defend, and I have never seen my wife move so fast. Luckily my wife was faster than the skunk could turn, or she would have had a bad night.

About 20yrs ago the dogs (5) were raising hell one evening and I go out to see what is going on and they are all around the propane tank. Walk over and there under the tank is an armadillo digging his way to China. Let's see, go get the gun and take a shot at it under the 1000 gal propane tank, or just let the dogs have him. Went back in and after a while it got quite so I went back out to see what had happened but couldn't see anything of the armadillo. Never did find him. Those damn armadillo's are showing up a lot more these days, and they will destroy your yard digging for grubs.

Cats around here get sprayed a lot
I smell it often, I've heard the horror stories too

thank goodness,
none of my dogs have been sprayed
since I lived in Palmer Alaska, in mid 80s
my dog Alfred Farton Urinal, my 80# American Staffordshire Terrier stud
he got sprayed by a skunk a couple of times, he wasn't afraid of anything
to his detriment
he had blood on him one of the times, I assume he caught it
don't know if he killed it, finally wized up & left them alone
after a couple years of correcting him...

( porcupines are worse, way worse, glad I never dealt with that,
I had a buddy whose dogs got into them a lot
, we have a crapload of them
up here too, mandatory vet visit usually, sedation to remove the quills, nasty
)

nasty Skunk spray ****
tomato juice was the wives' tale/home brew remedy way back when
it cut the smell, but didn't get rid of it
even with a gallon of Hydrogen Peroxide after the fact

Dawn liquid dish soap seemed the best
won't sware to it thou...

My brother used to ride his bike to his girlfriends house and leave the garage door open. One night he came tooling into the garage and ran right into a skunk. Neither was very pleased to see one another.

Another time a buddy and I were hitchhiking home in the middle of the night, and got a ride to the dirt road. It was winter here in The Mitten, and the snow was about 5’ high along the sides of the road. We started walking and about 1/4 mile into our walk there in the middle of the road was 2 skunks playing and tumbling around. We made a few snowballs and started throwing at them, they would move up the road about 50’ and stop and back to their game. After about 1/2 hour of this, we decided that we had just better go around, in the 4’ of snow in the field. It was a miserable walk home!

I have more skunk stories with plenty of dogs, but those are my greatest hits!

We had a black lab named Oakland, the old boy lived 12 yrs, outside dog had the run of our acerage.
That damn dog could not leave a skunk alone,
Tomato juice bath followed with soap and water. Worked pretty well.
I loved that dog, he never bit anyone but would bluff strangers into staying put in the pickup.
He was our kids best friend.

Had a dead skunk behind my garage,and is smelled really bad,so I put some lime on it,and it still smelled really bad,so I decided I was going to get a shovel and an iron rake and burry it. So when I got home from work,I grabbed the shovel and rake from under the deck,and went behind the garage to take care of it once and for all. When I got behind the garage tools in hand,I felt the strange feeling that I was being watched........so I looked up in the trees above where the dead skunk was and there was about a half dozen huge turkey vultures looking down on me. I carefully backed away and put the tools away back under the deck. Not wanting to be their next meal! These were the biggest birds I have ever seen in my area in my whole life! I had flashbacks to when Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds movie scared the living schit out of me when I was a child!

We have owned Airedales over the years and had a female that loved to hunt in the yard. Rabbits, squirrels, and skunks. First time she got sprayed she runs back in the house before we can figure out what is going on- the fresh smell is like burning plastic! she and the house reeked! A few years later she gets one in the middle of the day, which turns out to be rabid. And because I handled the dog (checking to see if she had been bit or scratched) within 30 minutes of attack, I was advised by the Animal Control to get rabies shots!! My conversation with the officer is this-
Me-"what happens if I wait for symptoms and then go for a shot?"
him- "Too late. You Die"

I walk into the hospital to get the shots and there is a male nurse there with 8 needles laid out on the tray. I ask him if this is going to hurt. Without missing a beat, he says "Oh Yes."

Twice I drove over one! Both times I had to go to the DYI car wash. Yes at mid-night! What I remember is the look on the one as he got face full of bumper!

nothing is worse than taking the dog out to pee before bed and wind up giving her a peroxide/baking soda/Dawn dish soap bath..........
Yeah, that stinks (pun intended). When I was young we had a rescue named Chumley (he was named when we got him). He was a mix of a Weimaraner and and Irish Setter. He was a sweet dog, but not the sharpest tool in the shed. What he was good at was hunting things. However, the few times he went after skunks was NOT pleasant! The smell simply just doesn't go away easily...

Rebel, on the other hand; is a lover, not a killer.......... he got sprayed one night, and I think his feelings were hurt...
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I have never been sprayed by a skunk, but I have had a few skunk encounters. Two of them when I was turkey hunting. The first one I was sitting on my hunting chair and this skunk decided to hang out within 15 feet of me for about 20 minutes. The second time, I had just built a hunting blind out of PVC pipe and camo material, as I was sitting all comfortable, I felt something rub against my leg. Yup a skunk in my 4x4 blind. The material was not fastened at the bottom, so I lifted the material and waited for it to leave. Both times I could smell them but it was not really strong. The third time I watch a skunk spray 2 kids on atvs. They had been chasing it. The one got a direct hit, it was karma at its finest.

In high school, my scout leader had a pet skunk that had been de-bagged. Years later, my brother had one. When my wife & I first got married (1994), instead of going into massive debt buying a house, we bought an old '72 Dodge chassis Class A motor home and lived out of it for the 1st year and a half -- saving our money for a house. For 8 months of the year we parked it at a camp ground.

We'd often cook dinner on the outside grill. Whatever was left over we'd toss to the critters; mostly skunks & raccoons. The skunks were the friendliest wildlife I'd ever seen, but the coons couldn't get along with each other let alone us. One day my brother came to hang out. The skunks showed up. I'm like, "Hey guys, how y'all doin'?" My brother is like, "Oh Sh!t..." One walked right between my legs and my brother just about wet his pants.

I like making friends with my natural neighbors. I didn't take many pictures back then, but since captured pictures of a squirrel and a raccoon I got to know quite well. Named the squirrel April and the raccoon Bando.
Me_n_Squirrel.png

Bando1.png

Yeah, that stinks (pun intended). When I was young we had a rescue named Chumley (he was named when we got him). He was a mix of a Weimaraner and and Irish Setter. He was a sweet dog, but not the sharpest tool in the shed. What he was good at was hunting things. However, the few times he went after skunks was NOT pleasant! The smell simply just doesn't go away easily...

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
The name makes sense...depending on your age. Chumley Walrus is (was?) the dim-witted protagonist alongside Tennessee Tuxedo from Tennessee Tuxedo and His Tales cartoons of the '60s
1692300943382.png

I've heard daytime skunks have a good chance of being rabid

I also heard that skunks are less likely to be rabid than raccoons because they have a defense mechanism that will deter even another rabid animal.

The name makes sense...depending on your age. Chumley Walrus is (was?) the dim-witted protagonist alongside Tennessee Tuxedo from Tennessee Tuxedo and His Tales cartoons of the '60s
View attachment 1511028
That could very well be!

We went to the SPCA to pick up a dog. We found a dog we liked and brought him home. But while we were walking around, we had all seen Chumley. He looked like the picture below except he had the coloring of an Irish Setter. He was tall and gangley, had drool wrapped around his snout, and was not a favorable sight to look at! My parents talked about him and said that no one would ever adopt him - they knew he would end up euthanized. So we went back the next day and got him.
Yes, he was dumber than dirt but he was a good friend and a good dog!

1692358435809.png

Auto Transport Service
Back