• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slap Stick rod adjustment

Loren White

Local time
8:04 AM
Reaction score
I need advice on the rod adjustment for the slapstik shifter. I have a 72 Dodge Charger, 340 with 727 transmission. What is the secret to obtain full park and full low gear achievment?

I need advice on the rod adjustment for the slapstik shifter. I have a 72 Dodge Charger, 340 with 727 transmission. What is the secret to obtain full park and full low gear achievment?
You can download a factory service manual here. I don't see 72 but the procedure should be similar for 73. Service Manuals – MyMopar

There is a rod that goes through the floor of the car, and then goes through a bracket that is attached to the transmission. The bracket has a nylon bushing that the rod goes through.

On my car, I found the rod was worn right where it contacts the nylon bushing. This caused me not to have enough adjustment to make the Slap Stik work in all gears. I simply bent the bracket (that is attached to the transmission) so it contacted an unworn part of the rod. At that point, I was able to adjust the Slap Stik for satisfactory operation in all gears.

So, I suggest you take off the bracket that is attached to the transmission and look for wear to either the rod or the nylon bushing. If there is, then you may want to try what I did to get it to work right.

Good luck.

I have that but there are no adjustment procedures.
Go to the 1973 Dodge Chassis Service Manual

Its under Chapter 21 - 80 - Auto Transmission - Linkage Adjustment Console Shift

Wont let me copy links

From my own experience, I went from a 318/904 to a 340/727 and have the same issue. I have learned that the 727 uses a different lever than the 904 (which is what I used on the 727) so if you're in the same boat, that might be the issue. The 727 lever is available, here is the classic industries link, it is available elsewhere. ML18359 - 1967-75 Dodge/Plymouth Gearshift Control Lever; 727 Transmission; A, B &E-Body
Is this lever for the 904? I'm asking because I have the stock 727 already installed in my car and if this lever is for the 727 I will be replacing with the same lever. Thanks for the info.

There is a rod that goes through the floor of the car, and then goes through a bracket that is attached to the transmission. The bracket has a nylon bushing that the rod goes through.

On my car, I found the rod was worn right where it contacts the nylon bushing. This caused me not to have enough adjustment to make the Slap Stik work in all gears. I simply bent the bracket (that is attached to the transmission) so it contacted an unworn part of the rod. At that point, I was able to adjust the Slap Stik for satisfactory operation in all gears.

So, I suggest you take off the bracket that is attached to the transmission and look for wear to either the rod or the nylon bushing. If there is, then you may want to try what I did to get it to work right.

Good luck.
All brand new parts from Classic Industries.

Is this lever for the 904? I'm asking because I have the stock 727 already installed in my car and if this lever is for the 727 I will be replacing with the same lever. Thanks for the info.
What I am saying is that the 727 in my car has the 904 lever. I purchased the 727 lever from Classic and I need to install it.
Ron

Auto Transport Service
Back