• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slowness Thoughts

The first thing that popped into my head. (Except for cheeseburger?) Was converter. What stall converter did you say? If it's a higher stall performance converter? This may be exactly how it would perform with a near stock 383? Thus is not locking up at lower RPM due to not enough power for it's setup. Or? Something failing/not right in your unit? Because it sounds like transmission is performing?

Thanks for all the replies. Definitely not perception issue due to driving modern cars awhile. I used to drive this car every day and I know it should have more power. The cam was in it originally when it ran faster so I dont think its that. It sounds good like loud muscle car rumble, when you step on the gas the exhaust roars, car just doesnt get up and go. I have Holley 4160 750cfm on it. The 750 might be a little much but supposedly the guy tuned it (jetted down?) This is a rebuilt transmission and I am thinking it must be something to do with the tranny, kick down, tight band or something. I am hitting all 3 gears. I still have my old trans that I may have to go back with or who knows. Going to have to get the guy who worked on its opinion and figure this out.

I have some similar irritations with my '63 but it is a built poly. After all the rebuilding and 3:55's from 3:23's, I definitely have better top end; but seems as though off the line performance is no change or could be worse. It has a 2500 stall TQ. Don't recall what it was before the swap...it was stock. I'm running full mechanical advance right now as the motor so far hasn't liked any toying with the vac...grrr...and have tabled it until more time to futz with it.

Check the cheap stuff first. Ignition timing and advance. Some combinations need more advance or a faster curve.

How was the mechanic deciding it needed the jets changed? Dyno pull and wideband? Or butt-dyno and plug reading?

Just some thoughts.
RGAZ

It's very hard to diagnose a car when you're relying on a forum. While there is allot of experience here based on what I'm reading, I'd suggest you find a knowledgeable shop or person to look at it in person.

If you are getting all 3 gears and it is really starting off in 1st gear, then you need to check the timing advance. Its quick and easy to do and can make a huge difference. If that is all good, then a compression check may be in order, or you have a torque convertor issue. There are a few unknowns here, with out being in the car ourselves, just best guess'.
Hope you can get it diagnosed.

Auto Transport Service
Back