• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So... About That Fat & Furious Show

Bruzilla

Local time
5:24 PM
Reaction score
I watched the premiere, and found it mildly interesting once they got past the endless fat jokes. The show dealt with a Brand X car and a 1969 Coronet convertible that they wanted to clone into a Hemi RT. I wasn't impressed with the show so much on a technical level, but I thought it was a great "how to" on how not to do a car these days.

They paid $12,500 for the car, which in the shape it was in, which was really rough, was way high. Then they decided to go old school with the engine and they paid $25,000 for a used, incomplete, 1969 engine, which was a high price several years ago, and well better than twice what I think most would pay nowadays. Then, in a pattern of thinking that I couldn't figure out, they decide to put an EFI system on the engine. They didn't want to use a crate Hemi because they wanted to be correct for the period, then they opt for EFI. Go figure.

The whole time they're discussing the car, they're throwing around numbers that are more reminiscent of 2004 than 2014, and they're talking about how this clone will bring in six figures... yeah... that'll happen. They end up getting into the car for around $77,000, and they need to sell high because they underbid the work on the Ford Galaxy they're working on and they need the Mopar money to make up the difference.

So they get the car done, take it over to some guy who they sell cars to, and the look on their faces when he hits them across the face with a reality check on prices is just classic. They come in at $125k, I guess expecting to settle on $100k+, and this guy comes back with an undefined something in the $70s counter offer. Smack! Welcome to reality! They start talking Hemi, Hemi, Hemi, and he explains that seven years ago they would be on the mark, but this isn't seven years ago and they end up selling the car for I think $84k.

Lack of market research, bad buying decisions, and thinking the market is still booming cost them I would guess about $25,000-$35,000. I can't see these guys being around for long.

84k for clone? That sounds high. I always suspect the TV channel just to make up a number so the audience doesn't see the lack of business sense these jagoffs haves.

Well, there's a butt for every seat, and an idiot buyer for every car, all you gotta do is find the one that meets your needs.

That show was almost worth watching for just the sight of the "old car guy's" face when he was convincing these idiots that $25k was a great deal on a used incomplete Hemi. :) That guy sure knew saps when he saw them. The great Bigger Idiot theory was proven again. :)

Sad thing is it has air cond. so it can be a driver, but the efi didn't air filters. how do you drive a car with out air filters or why put air on a car that will not see the road?

Once the tv show money starts coming in, it doesn't matter how much they lose on each car.

I watched it. not impressed at all. needless to say I wont be tuning in next week. it was all about the money and nothing to do with building a car except to make more money

I watched I'll watch a few more to get the jest of the characters & the show,
I didn't understand the mentality :iamwithstupid: of paying $25k for an old hemi original vintage type Hemi & putting an 8-stack efi on it,
it makes no sense...

but it's just a tv show not a documentary,

IMHFO they could have gone with 2 TB's on the 2x4bbl intake & hid the EFI under the oval air cleaner,
if they were going to veer from the OEM look/Clone tribute {seemed like BS}, they were talking about originally doing,
then also put some nice wheels & wider tires, better suspension & brakes etc. too,

But that's just me, different strokes for different folks, opinions will vary vastly...

The final product looked ok, $84K isn't out of the world for pricing after all is said & done, it would cost near that to build either way,
especially if you pay someone else to build it for you...

the 64 Galaxie was pretty cool too, 11.74 respectable time for a big boat

Ok... I really like the fact that this show is filmed locally. HOWEVER... I'm 45 years old, I've worked at Youngstown and Warren Speed and Custom Speed Shop, I've spent many Sundays at Quaker and many of Friday and Saturday nights at Meander (Youngstown Ohio's Drag City) when it was open, and I've never heard of these guys. The only guy I know of on the show was Don Schneider from New Springfield Ohio... He owns one of the finest collection you'll ever see.
The Corvette show they were at was at the ORIGINAL Quaker Steak and Lube right here in Sharon Pa.

Oh well nothing wrong with another Gear Head Show.

Fat and stupid, rolling fat! Fat and fatter! Fat and furious? I don't think so. Fat and ridiculous more like, and can this moron ever talk without a tooth pick in his mouth?! Disgusting! The cars would be a second faster without a lard *** in the drivers seat..JEEZ eat some veggies and get some exercise guys!
Which one is going to keel over with a coronary on the show first is what I wonder.

Bruzilla wrote:
Then, in a pattern of thinking that I couldn't figure out, they decide to put an EFI system on the engine. They didn't want to use a crate Hemi because they wanted to be correct for the period, then they opt for EFI. Go figure.

I too was not only shocked but also confused on their "path" of decision making.
I was wondering why they didnt just purchase the engine from Indy?
Hell, for that money, they could have purchased anything they wanted.
$25,500 for the incomplete Hemi.

PS: Did you check out the Red Chevelle?
That customer gave them (allegedly) $50K for that set-up with the 572 CI engine.

P.T. Barnum stated:
"there's a sucker born every minute"
Or was that W.C. Fields...
(..get outta here kid your bbothering me...)

It's funny. This show is supposed to be in Youngstown but the one building they do most of the filming is in Fowler Ohio. This is right up the road where I went to Jr. High School.
As I said other post, I watch these show's to support gear head shows... but this one is tough. However I can't help watching it because it's so close to home.

Attachments

• Sharidans II.jpg
    Sharidans II.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 383
The majority of these shows i don't think are even geared to car guys,its all scripted bullshit. Something that annoyed me was this episode of South beach classics. The blond is talking to a guy who wants to trade not sell some car he built. This guy says he got to get rid of his car because his wife was diagnosed with breast cancer. But the thing is and its personal for me the guy wants another project i guess to keep his mind off his wifes illness. In fact that sums up what was said. Now im taking my wife for another cat scan on monday. She gets scans all the time since she was diagnosed,operating on and a year of chemo. Now i appreciate some of you guys reaching out to support us in this battle were in but trust me when i tell you that the doctors did see a very little something and if it grows she will be operated on and more chemo and for me to think i'll have time to work on my car,well it aint happening and i have no problem as my spouse come s first as it should be.So when some producer wants to play the cancer angle and some asshole needs a project as his wife has breast cancer,im thinking what the ****!! Some of these shows are a insult to guys who been fooling with cars all there lives

I should go do a big FAT burnout in front of the shop when there filming!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm really starting to hate all the car fixer upper shows. They are even attempting to show & tell the haggling process between to seller & buyer now that is TOTAL BS & just made for TV.

I don't know I think I would rather watch the gear head shows then some of the other trash that's on TV.
Hopefully it brings back some interest in the hobby from the younger generation.

TV is nothing but junk now days !

I don't watch TV any more except maybe a local news program in the morning with my coffee and that is to find out who shot whom.

all the shows from back in the day woman love this show go figure[video=youtube_share;G7HdYjrQRAg]http://youtu.be/G7HdYjrQRAg[/video]

Auto Transport Service
Back