• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So I went and did it.Intake change

Darter6

Local time
3:04 AM
Reaction score
I've had my 65 Hemi at home just about 2 years now. Because it was a EX-Race car some changes need to be made to make it more streetable. The cross ram ran great but I wasn't able to run air filters with the hood closed. It's too dusty in the desert. Didn't want to go with a 5'' hood scoop, wanted to stick to the factory 65 A-990 scoop. It don't have the looks but the car still runs great. Next is running vacuum advance, changing the manual valve body to a stock one and kick down. Last but not least swapping the 4.10's to 3.23's.This way I might be able to drive it without stopping at every gas station along with tires lasting longer than a few weeks. The air filter housing is from a Slant Six. I hope to score a single Max Wedge air filter housing in the future.
IMG_2732.jpg
IMG_2800.jpg

I would have just moved to a less dusty place. lol
Looks very different with the single 4bbl But if you can drive it now then thats a plus. Now go have fun.

Drive ability was fine with the cross ram. I could drive it around and it idled in gear good. I just couldn't keep my foot out of the loud petal.

I definitely Love your car, and understand your reasoning, but the air cleaner really needs some work. What about a '66/67 Chrome dome, and modifying the carb plate ? You could do some welding under there, and No One will ever see it. Kind of like a Day 2, Dealer installed Hemi...
I'm kind of heading that way with my '65 Dodge Sedan, but I plan on running the 2-4bbl in-line intake, so it should just "fit" right in...

Yeah, The Max Wedge air cleaner housing will look much better. Here is one in Chrome.
Copy of savoy5.jpg

Darter, odd that you cannot run air cleaners under the scoop. I think we have similar setups and my air cleaners fit under then scoop.
Looks like you have the MP cross ram. Maybe it is taller than my repop crossram.
I know what you mean about the loud pedal :)

.facebook_1528118937857.jpg

MP cross ram is 2'' taller + Indy Heads add about another 3/4 to 1 ''. Maybe some day I'll get a intake like yours. The single 4 bbl gives me about 1 1/2'' clearance using a 2'' tall filter.

That should work fine for you. Is that the Eddy carb or a Carter ? Ron

750 Edelbrock. I've always been a Carter/Edelbrock guy.

In a game of inches,don't forget you can always space your k member down for that little bit extra. Very easy to do.

Did that, then had driveline vibrations. Shimmed this,checked that, set pinion angles, raised car, lowered car. Checked drive shaft. Said Ok, back to page one and removed the K frame shims and swap intake. Have a few more things to do then take her out for a test drive. I work on her when I can. Want to have it all done for the 2019 MATS Vegas show March/April.(No date yet).

Auto Transport Service
Back