• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So it just needs a shift cable adjustment, makes a noise, and park doesnt always work.

dvw

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:00 PM
Reaction score
Went to do a quick adjustment on a 64 push button today. Easy enough. Then couldn't get it to latch in park. Removing the park housing there was debris. This was a recent build by someone else. The park lever was jammed. So the tail housing was pulled. Surprise. This was a first for me.
Doug

20240408_165900.jpg

20240408_165916.jpg

20240408_165923.jpg

Looks like a couple governor bolts backed out? did the rear pump get any damage?
So, governor support, governor, tail housing.... What else? What else didn't get torqued?

Looks like a couple governor bolts backed out? did the rear pump get any damage?
So, governor support, governor, tail housing.... What else? What else didn't get torqued?
Thats what I was thinking. Could a bolt fall out and break the park gear?

Looks like you have another rebuild to do Doug.
Mike

Not sure what happened. The bolts have a sheet metal plate with tabs bent over the corners of the heads. You can see it at the top of pic #1. Those bolts are something that don't usually get removed. The governor guts have definatly spit out and caught the inside of the tail housing. Pretty sure thats what cracked it. Surprisingly the park gear is in 3 pieces. That took a lot of force. The back side of the rear pump is cracked from the park gear issue. Actually goimg to try repairing it in the car. I gave the owner the option. His call. He is having the tail housing welded this morning. I have all the parts. We will see.
Doug

Never did find the cause. The park cable adjustment was pretty close. May have been the shift cable was way off. They had the neutral safety switch jumped. May have been in gear and park at the same time and they tried to make it move. Anyway all fixed in the car. Here's the final carnage.
Doug

20240410_134128.jpg

So did you unscrew the governor bolts? Cause the threads don't appear hurt but the hole area of the governor is gone along with it looks like two of the bolts?

To a point the dropped it in park while still rolling sounds good but I'm sure most of us have experienced that & it makes noise but the pawl just ratchets along, it doesn't drop in....

A loose bolt caught in between the governor support & the tail housing? Boom..

Auto Transport Service
Back