• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So let's just say I wanted to start a new project...

Mark1972

Local time
8:47 PM
Reaction score
...and I wanted that project to be really different than the 1970 Satellite I spent 6 years working on. Different in that it was a lighter car, small block, manual tranny, and handled really well, even from the factory. Now other than my Satellite, which is the first car I ever worked on of any make and model, I know very little about cars. So in sticking with Mopar, what would be some good choices? A few rules though. I would still have to be able to buy parts, body panels, etc for it, and while I'd be looking at a complete project again, I'd like to keep the initial investment under $10k, with a total investment when finished of no more than 30k, with my friend and I doing most of the work ourselves again. I'm really curious to read the responses. Thanks all.

A body dart or duster or perhaps something newer. Look for a body that is not in vogue at the moment like some of the late 70's Volaries or something. Got to think out of the box.. the down side is there isn't much available for them

67-69 Barracuda fastback if you can find one, and build a high-winding 340 small block for it.

There you go... I just happen to have one of those in the 68 FB variety that I need to sell..

70-76 a-body would probably be most available and inexpensive. 67-9 a-body, especially Valiant would be lighter I believe but may be more dough. Up to 73? b-body, all e-body, 67-76 a-body has most choices for suspension/engine/header/trans/brake/drivetrain/repro parts available. 74? on b/f/m/j body cars might be cheapest but lack on above plethora of upgrades. Your choice may end up being what you come across thats the best deal. Go for low end stuff, not R/T's/GTX's,Roadrunners/TA's etc as they command higher prices. Look for /6's, 273's, 318's, no engine or trans, seized engines etc for more choices too.

I'd stay away from the neon srt4 I had one for about 4 months had 23000 miles on it car was perfect was an old couples car anyways I blew the trans apart in it I didn't really beat on it any harder then I normally drive !
I'm told the trans in them is junk you can bullet proof them for about $2000 but in the end I was still driving a neon!
A body is light dusters can be had for a fair price still !
My 72 charger rallye is for sale 340 4 speed 8 3/4 sure grip 3.55 gears

Can always get a Scamp and beef it up....:rolleyes:
6db4203852aff89434beb76ab00a0c7a.jpg

I agree with the others - an a-body of your choice, powered by say a Mopar crate 360 pushing around 380hp.
4 speed of course....
Small block a-bodies have given b-body guys fits for decades, admittedly - and they're cheaper to build, too.
The aftermarket is there to supply whatever you desire as well.

My 70 Duster with a 408 and 4-speed is a blast to drive.

Some A Bodies are still reasonably priced, as are 72-74 B Bodies, 72-74 E Bodies used to be fairly reasonable, but that's not the case anymore, asking prices are high, but I don't know if they are actually changing hands for what they are asking for them. Also some 66-67 B Bodies are still affordable.

73-76 Duster or Dart Sport. Big rear wheel wells for wider tires, better aerodynamics, and less desired by the masses and collectors.

...and I wanted that project to be really different than the 1970 Satellite I spent 6 years working on. Different in that it was a lighter car, small block, manual tranny, and handled really well, even from the factory. Now other than my Satellite, which is the first car I ever worked on of any make and model, I know very little about cars. So in sticking with Mopar, what would be some good choices? A few rules though. I would still have to be able to buy parts, body panels, etc for it, and while I'd be looking at a complete project again, I'd like to keep the initial investment under $10k, with a total investment when finished of no more than 30k, with my friend and I doing most of the work ourselves again. I'm really curious to read the responses. Thanks all.
check out my forsale add on a bodies 71 dart swinger or my avatar car 69 fastback under Derrick Kidwell just saying my opinion

Auto Transport Service
Back