• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Soak window regulators?

Those springs are pretty heavy, i didn't think they could break.. i'm lucky that most of my car is in good shape, just sitting for decades dried stuff up
That's what I figured also and I think I even saw another thread where a member had soaked theirs but those things have a lot of pressure on them and they gave out. They didn't even look that bad either.
1274986-94e58a70e1ddc08488de5ad9573b5801.jpg20220921_201359.jpg

Channel felts got through Parts Mix. Went through several sets. Frustrated with the windows did not want to roll up and down without tearing the felts. Tried several types of lube products. One destroyed them. Red moly grease too sticky. Then remember when I was in a shop working on cars the guy installing door window told me to go down and get some profane wax in the bar. He rubbed it on the windows edge where it slid into the channels and cut a small piece and rubbed it into the window felts. Worked like a charm.

Any kind of spring and any sort of acid (which evaporust is) do not go well together. The springs may have been weak but the evaporust put the nail in the coffin. You can put a spring and a piece of the same thickness wire in an acid wash and the spring will disappear - but not the wire. Its got something to do with the heat treat process I believe.

zep makes some good products..... I like this stuff, it's damn aggressive...... home depot sells it.... wear gloves

1681134014563.png

P.S. the window channels had like a felt in them for the glass to slide on.. mine is all pretty much shot or gone.. Anyone know the exact name i should search for if it's even available?

Anything you want to know about door parts are here. No channels available that I know of but what I did worked great using the felt half of some velcro material.
Post in thread 'Taking Up New Residence' Taking Up New Residence

Last edited:
Anything you want to know about door parts are here. No channels available that I know of but what I did worked great....
Post in thread 'Taking Up New Residence' Taking Up New Residence
Gezz. that post has everthing i needed to know.. i'm jealous of how nice your panels are.. i'm gonna be unwarping mine and repairing them this week. Could you do me a favor and look in your ebay history to get me the name of that material? it looks perfect.. and cheap which is my favorite thing :)

Gezz. that post has everthing i needed to know.. i'm jealous of how nice your panels are.. i'm gonna be unwarping mine and repairing them this week. Could you do me a favor and look in your ebay history to get me the name of that material? it looks perfect.. and cheap which is my favorite thing :)
It's been too many years but I edited my post. It's the felt half of velcro material. It comes in many sizes. The thickness is the most important thing. (Listed in my thread)

Go back a half a dozen pages for more info on windows. I didn't install the channel felt till later in the game.

I used diesel on a pair of 80 year
old regulators from a Plymouth pickup.
It worked really well in getting the
enclosed crank gears clean as diesel
seems to suspend the dirt and sand.
I let them soak for three days.
My seat doesn't have tracks, but would
assume diesel would work well at
cleaning those also. You could also
use kerosene.

I am fortunate to have a soda blasting outfit nearby that isn’t too unreasonable on price. I took all my window mechanisms and had them soda blasted. They came out great. There was still some work needed with solvent and a tooth brush in some of the nooks and crannies but I saved a ton of time and mess.

D5D0DF6B-6FA5-4A84-9129-DB09006E3BCF.jpeg

12CFE220-B5AA-41FC-A2DF-5D866792C50C.jpeg

As I said back on page 1, where the usual suspect Red X'd me... 3 minute soak in AV gas, a quick brush and all the old goo slides right off..
superbirdfullpaint6 075.jpg
superbirdfullpaint6 078.jpg
superbirdfullpaint6 082.jpg
superbirdfullpaint6 088.jpg

The factory must have missed a step on my rear window regulators. All the aluminum casting flash was sill there. That most of the plastic roller wheels were broken. Angle grinder and a flat file and now they work soooo smooth with the new rollers. As for grease, there wasn't much . So I guess they skipped that step as well. LOL!

Quick update... the purple power stuff from Walmart was like $6 for like 2.5 gallons.. or something super cheap like that.. i tossed the regulators in a tub full of it for like 10 days (got lazy) and they came out looking like new. metal i even nice and bright again.. :)
Got my rear channels all cleaned and new felt.. gotta do the long channel that runs down the vent window next.. that one looks a bit harder

Any kind of spring and any sort of acid (which evaporust is) do not go well together. The springs may have been weak but the evaporust put the nail in the coffin. You can put a spring and a piece of the same thickness wire in an acid wash and the spring will disappear - but not the wire. Its got something to do with the heat treat process I believe.

Evaporust is not an acid you dimwit!

Throw some galvanized in Evaporust and leave it there for too long, see what you get back. The regulator arms, at least the ones I just cleaned are cold galvanized.

Figured i would mention that if you don't have a piece of wood to hold it in while drying... a few spare hard drives fit perfectly.

2023-05-04 15.59.36.jpg

So.. got my front window regulators out last night and after sitting for almost 50 years the grease has all turned almost rock hard, i could barely move the windows to get them out, Can you guys recommend what i could soak these in to loosen up/remove that old hard grease? No cleaning tank.. will get a tub and just let them sit for a week or so.. Was just thinking of using Gas or mineral spirits unless someone has a better way?

P.S. the window channels had like a felt in them for the glass to slide on.. mine is all pretty much shot or gone.. Anyone know the exact name i should search for if it's even available?
The spacer/washer for the regulators ar leather. After 50
So.. got my front window regulators out last night and after sitting for almost 50 years the grease has all turned almost rock hard, i could barely move the windows to get them out, Can you guys recommend what i could soak these in to loosen up/remove that old hard grease? No cleaning tank.. will get a tub and just let them sit for a week or so.. Was just thinking of using Gas or mineral spirits unless someone has a better way?

the regulator track washers are leather. Hard to find. If you want you can make them. Sen me a message i can give you the measurement.

The spacer/washer for the regulators ar leather. After 50

the regulator track washers are leather. Hard to find. If you want you can make them. Sen me a message i can give you the measurement.
Yup, i ended up making them out of leather :) all set thanks much

Auto Transport Service
Back