• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Soliciting some advice on my new Roadrunner

TexasVol

Local time
6:46 PM
Reaction score
First off, a disclaimer: I'm new to the MOPAR family and also new to actual ownership of a classic car.

I recently purchased a 68 Roadrunner that appears to be in really good shape. It is still sporting its original 383 and 727 and both are working well aside from a little bit of a leak from the tranny. As far as work that's been done prior to me, the front bench was pulled in favor of buckets, new non-roadrunner seat covers were put on the rear seats, and the headliner is newer. There is evidence that it was resprayed in the original Ember Gold, but other than that it appears to be pretty original. (Door jams still have factory stickers)

My original plans were to keep it pretty original, but add things like disc breaks and give it a new paint job. I'm not trying to win car shows or restore it to "off the line" condition. I want a fun weekend cruiser that can occasionally let the 383 unwind.

So am I a complete moron for wanting to change the color of this car? I have no plans to sell it but I don't want to kill any value at the same time. Is there any value to partial original paint?

20230406_124252.jpg

20230406_115423.jpg

20230421_131409.jpg

20230410_195930.jpg

My take is pretty much "do what YOU like". Unless it's a super-rare, low-production, numbers-matching car. The 383 RR was the standard engine for your car. So, you're not into rare territory here. I will say, your car looks nice in that color, you won't see too many around.

A color change is more expensive.
But it does need paint.
Be prepared for a big bill to have it done well.
It's a lot of work.

A color change is more expensive.
But it does need paint.
Be prepared for a big bill to have it done well.
It's a lot of work.
Yeah, I realize it is going to be more. I am in this for the long haul though so I kinda figure it comes with the territory.

Most Road Runners seem to be red, black, blue or the ever popular green. Your car looks intact and that gold would look nice fresh and shiny I bet.

The original color will retain the most value because it attracts the collectors who like cars that are presented in original form. As it has the original engine and trans, that is an added bonus to stay with the factory color as the number's matching running gear also attracts these same buyers. As already said, freshly painted, especially if you go with a two-stage paint job (base coat + clear), that gold actually looks really nice and the car will stand out from all the others.

All said you have to be happy with it. Depending on the color you choose, ... don't worry, the value might take a little hit but won't totally collapse.

Repaint it in the original gold and add the 68 hood blackout treatment and the car will pop. It will be a standout from all the common colored cars.

Repaint it in the original gold and add the 68 hood blackout treatment and the car will pop. It will be a standout from all the common colored cars.
School me a little bit here. Are you talking about the solid black hood or like some of the ones that I've seen that run between the false intakes?

Also, be prepared to find issues if stripping the paint. There's probably a reason why the car was touched up and most of the time it's done over a repair that wasn't executed the greatest...

Is that actually the original paint?

I'd be very tempted to leave it alone.

Looks like major paint/bondo issues, (water blisters, poor cleanliness between paint coats?) and the easiest thing is to just drive it imperfect and enjoy it. Unless you've painted before, it might be more work and money than you could imagine. If you need to press on with the paint, how about taping off about a 2' square area of the worst area, strip it, try to fix it, and prime and try to blend it in to the rest of the car to see how much work it takes so you don't take the car apart for years and not get to drive it. And personally, I like the gold more than most green colors.

I drove Baby Blue with 30 year old crazed lacquer for nearly a decade, and it was great not having to worry about stone chips, bird droppings, etc. Current owner has a son who is a professional body man, so the car is getting the full treatment, and they intend to keep driving it, will do it again if need be. Nice to be in that position.

Is that actually the original paint?

I'd be very tempted to leave it alone.
The paint on all the visible surfaces is a respray. Door seals, engine bay and trunk lid look original

Looks like major paint/bondo issues, (water blisters, poor cleanliness between paint coats?) and the easiest thing is to just drive it imperfect and enjoy it. Unless you've painted before, it might be more work and money than you could imagine. If you need to press on with the paint, how about taping off about a 2' square area of the worst area, strip it, try to fix it, and prime and try to blend it in to the rest of the car to see how much work it takes so you don't take the car apart for years and not get to drive it. And personally, I like the gold more than most green colors.
I haven't found any bondo problems. Car will hold a magnet everywhere. The respray looks like it was done at home in the garage. The windshield gasket has overspray and so does the back window. Kinda looks like someone did it 20 years ago or so.

Auto Transport Service
Back