• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Solid lift flat tappet cams or hydraulic flat tappet.

67coronetman

Local time
8:47 AM
Reaction score
I know questions opinions thoughts will vary and that's fine but I am looking at a three bolt solid flat tappet Cam and lifter set or a three bolt hydraulic flat tappet Cam and lifter..

Cam manufactures I'm looking at or bullet racing cams. Or lunati voodoo cams sets.
This is going to be 90% Street motor 10% strip so I'm wondering what the difference of opinions and views are thanks for reading thanks for giving your thoughts.

Between those two choices only... I'd look at the number of miles per year on the street and how realistic the strip time is.
If you plan on road driving A LOT, I'd go hydraulic, otherwise a simple, :thumbsup: cheap mechanical setup will be just great.

Between those two choices only... I'd look at the number of miles per year on the street and how realistic the strip time is.
If you plan on road driving A LOT, I'd go hydraulic, otherwise a simple, :thumbsup: cheap mechanical setup will be just great.
Thanks i like both and the street time is not alot but i have ran both before and to me they both have there points good and bad.

Hydraulic, unless you want to adjust the valves frequently. And you will need all new valvetrain to go with the solid.

Hydraulic, unless you want to adjust the valves frequently. And you will need all new valvetrain to go with the solid.
I am running a solid now but miss the Hydraulic for easy of use but I love the solid.. Valve Adjustment dont bother me really i am just curious to know what other have to say.

Solid cam 7 days a week, on a mild SFT you adjust the valve maybe two times first year. Later on, once a year if necessary......

Solid cam 7 days a week, on a mild SFT you adjust the valve maybe two times first year. Later on, once a year if necessary......
Yes sir that sounds about right what I'm doing with the one I have now that's in my car it's just too much duration and lift for what I want for the street but I value everybody's opinion and what they have to say but in hindsight and the end it's going to be me that has to live with whatever I choose but with that said I don't mind other people's opinions it's good to always have a broad view when it comes to a street car / strip car

Agreed, if you're adjusting the Valves all the time...
Maaaybe something is grinding down in there...

If cost is a factor, flat tappet solid. If not, solid roller. Roller will give more longevity and minimize a wiped lobe, break in etc. Will need new pushrods as well due to the length of the roller lifter.

If cost is a factor, flat tappet solid. If not, solid roller. Roller will give more longevity and minimize a wiped lobe, break in etc. Will need new pushrods as well due to the length of the roller lifter.
Yeah.. cost is a factor so i will have to go with one of the others..

My priority is performance, so SFT for me.

The HFT is the worst of both worlds, IMO. A little, or a lot lower performance, and same likelyhood for eating itself.

I know questions opinions thoughts will vary and that's fine but I am looking at a three bolt solid flat tappet Cam and lifter set or a three bolt hydraulic flat tappet Cam and lifter..

Cam manufactures I'm looking at or bullet racing cams. Or lunati voodoo cams sets.
This is going to be 90% Street motor 10% strip so I'm wondering what the difference of opinions and views are thanks for reading thanks for giving your thoughts.
Honestly id go solid flat tappet. All this jazz about having to always adjust them is horse.... i adjusted mine cold, then when they were hot and ill check em once a year maybe and there just fine. If u have to constantly adjust them something is wrong and or wearing out somewhere or coming loose IMO. As far as hyd flat tappet, i hate pissing around with setting lifter preload. Its not hard or anything i just would rather not mess with it. Plus with a solid cam u don't need to worry about getting a bum colapsed lifter at some point. Also lifter preload, if u wipe a lobe itll take a bit until u hear ur valve train clacking because the plunger is moving its way out taking up the slack, mean while your metal fragments are washing all through ur engine. With a solid cam the second a lobe starts eating itself (if) it happens you will IMMEDIATELY hear it... just my opinion. From this point out... for me im going solid roller and aint ever looking back. Ive been very very fortunate ive never wiped a lobe due to a lifter failure. But im not about to start takin more chances. Im very fussy about proper cam break in and oils that i use....

Hydraulic, unless you want to adjust the valves frequently.
I call Bullshit!!!!
If YOU have to adjust YOUR valves frequently, somethings wrong or your racing looking for every last bit every time.
And you will need all new valvetrain to go with the solid.
This is true. And worth it!
100% true. Once you have the valve lash exactly where you want it, I’d check it ever spring until you realize your wasting your time.

Depending on how fast you want to go and how high you want to or need to rev the engine in order to get there, a HFT is fine. The big question is, how fast do you want to go?

Wow, I got 2 red Xs on this one.

I would go solid. I have a sol roller in my engine, driven once a week, check lash every two years. If you run the engine hard, you will have to check lash more frequently; if you use the random checking method, it is very easy, accurate, no turning the engine over by hand, done in 45 min once the v/covers are off.
Solid lifters can do things that hyd lifters cannot do:
- never pump up
- never bleed down & make noise.

I got my third X!! Glad I am stimulating the thread.
The only experience that I have with solid cams is from dirt track racing days. We adjusted the valves before every race night.
Hydraulic cams are what Mother Mopar put in the majority of its vehicles, even muscle cars that meet the OPs criteria.
90% street & 10% strip.
I'm getting older and softer, I guess, & don't see the point of maximum horsepower in these old classic cruisers, they are already bad *** from the factory. He asked for opinions, there is mine, with explanation. No hard feelings on my end.

I got my third X!! Glad I am stimulating the thread.
The only experience that I have with solid cams is from dirt track racing days. We adjusted the valves before every race night.
Hydraulic cams are what Mother Mopar put in the majority of its vehicles, even muscle cars that meet the OPs criteria.
90% street & 10% strip.
I'm getting older and softer, I guess, & don't see the point of maximum horsepower in these old classic cruisers, they are already bad *** from the factory. He asked for opinions, there is mine, with explanation. No hard feelings on my end.
Oh sir never any hard feelings I value everyone's opinion we may not all agree on everything from camshaft to compression to heads so on and so forth but we're all Mopar people and we all have our own likes and dislikes but I enjoy hearing what people have to say because I like either or but I just haven't chose which one I want to go with yet that's all but I love to hear what others have to say I'm never ever going to act like I know everything cuz I don't know everything I'm still learning at my age.

Solid Flat Tappet

Look at Hughes for 3 bolt SFT cams and lifters. I'm very happy with mine, which is paired with Hughes rockers and Smith Brothers pushrods.

I drive mine all the time and haven't adjusted in about a year. They were on the money last I checked. I like the simplicity of the solids over hydraulics which seem to crop up more issues. The extra noise from solids is like music to my ears.

STL-3842 cam

Auto Transport Service
Back