• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Solid Roller vs Solid F/T

A 600 hp pump gas stroker engine is pretty easy to build these days. You shouldn't have any trouble hitting those goals with a 10:1 compression 505 if you use Trick Flow 240 heads and pick the right cam. If it was my engine I'd use a hyd roller with 240 duration and probably go with a Performer RPM intake. I'd highly recommend using EFI such as a Holley Sniper kit. The shop I work with builds about 10 of those engines a year. With a baby cam they'll make 550 hp but if the owner is willing to turn the cam up a notch or two then they'll knock down 600 hp. The trick is to use the Sniper kit and the Hyperspark distributor so the computer controls the ignition timing. That allows you to tune the engine so it will run super smooth with the performance cam.

Thats about the same answer i got from Hughes when i ordered my cam for a 505 stroker.

The trick is to use the Sniper kit and the Hyperspark distributor so the computer controls the ignition timing. That allows you to tune the engine so it will run super smooth with the performance cam.
That is a HUGE advantage, and I have been looking at ignition system timing and control, but in reference to a carbureated system. I realize that the best marriage of ignition and intake working together is a fuel injection system, and I have looked at the F&B direct port injection system and the FiTech 3x2 throttle body injection system too. Since I invested $1,100 in Promax parts and labor into my 3 Holley 2bbl carbs recently, I have to try to get them right before I toss them and jump into a throttle body setup.
If I had to do it again, I would have gone with a TB setup, because my engine has been running bad ever since I got the carbs back from Promax. I still have to be fair and say I have a lot more to do to resolve the problem. Naturally I am hoping for a good result.
Maybe the Sniper 3x2 system will be available by the time I am ready for it.

Auto Transport Service
Back