• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Solid street roller cam discussion

fourgearsavoy

Local time
1:10 AM
Reaction score
I have an older Isky solid roller cam that I have installed in my Indy head 493 wedge. It is very small for a roller with 528 lift 240 dur 110 separation. I have a set of Howard's lifters that I'm planning on using. I think I will be OK with setting the lash tight and mild springs and keeping the RPM's to 6000. Sound like a good plan for a nice smooth street big block with a ton of low end torque ?
Thoughts ?

Gus

Why would you bother with a roller for only .528 lift ?!?!?

True, I run a litlle ole .540 / 292 hft in one of my cars with a 440 with over 55,000 on it now.

Last edited:
I run a roller w not much more for longevity and less chance of wiping a lobe.
That's the problem with "off shore" crap. Inferior metals/ heat treat protocols. Frustrating, and expensive. I just wish we made more things here.

I broke my cam in for about 20 mins at various RPM's for about a half hour on the outer springs only. After break in I installed the inner damper springs. Broke in with zinc additive. Just been running conventional 10W30 ever since.

I don't believe the OP cares how everyone broke in their flat tappet cams or your suggestions to use one. He is specifically asking about thoughts on roller cam.

Why would you bother with a roller for only .528 lift ?!?!?
Well I'm tired of the big flat cam in the car now .620 race type cam a little to rowdy for the street. I also picked up some 1.6 rockers for the swap. The 10 second street car thing is done for me now all I want is a cruiser. Pulling the 4.10's out of the Dana and installing 3.23's so the little cam fits in with the new program.
Gus

@fourgearsavoy, your cam, lift duration etc don't tell the whole story. What heads, cranking psi, intake closing after TDC etc. As far as springs and lash, I tend to go with what the cam manufacturer recommends.

@fourgearsavoy, your cam, lift duration etc don't tell the whole story. What heads, cranking psi, intake closing after TDC etc. As far as springs and lash, I tend to go with what the cam manufacturer recommends.
My cranking PSI with the old solid cam was 175. My heads are Indy EZ's with standard ports. I got the cam with a stash of parts and it had no card with it and Isky could only provide basic info because the cam is so old.
Gus

My cranking PSI with the old solid cam was 175. My heads are Indy EZ's with standard ports. I got the cam with a stash of parts and it had no card with it and Isky could only provide basic info because the cam is so old.
Gus
I have a "mild" roller in my 496", unfortunately it has a very early intake close and w 10.2:1 aluminum heads, very high cranking psi. I get detonation on 91 octane. I'm going more aggressive roller now with much later intake close and should be getting much better cranking psi and hopefully getting rid of detonation. Not every case is the same of course. This does not open a conversation for "what's your timing" etc. Just a discussion w OP.

I ran a 236/242 hydraulic roller in my 500 and it was a torque monster. Peaked over 600 lb/ft and over 500 lb/ft from 3000 to 5000 rpm. The only problem I see with your plan is softer valve springs. I know with the hydraulic roller I had to go to stiffer valve springs because of the excess weight of the lifters. Your solid rollers may be lighter, but if they are still heavier than stock solids you may need more spring.

I agree with the springs. Chances are you will never see 6000 rpm with the mild springs. It all depends on what you consider mild.

Specifically what spring pressure are you planing on running? Lift/duration aside it is the lobe design that will dictate the springressure/longevity. I would run and Isky 9905 os something close to that.

I seem to recall some discussion about this cam on another forum.
I thought in that discussion there was mention of it not being a billet core?
Perhaps I’m thinking of a different cam, but if it’s a cast core, I’d talk to Isky about a spring pressure recommendation.

If it’s a billet core, then disregard this post.

Well I'm tired of the big flat cam in the car now .620 race type cam a little to rowdy for the street. I also picked up some 1.6 rockers for the swap. The 10 second street car thing is done for me now all I want is a cruiser. Pulling the 4.10's out of the Dana and installing 3.23's so the little cam fits in with the new program.
Gus

Unless you're using a Dana 61 you're not going to get anything taller than a 3.54 ratio for a Dana 60.

I use Dana 61's, so I can take advantage of the taller 3.07 & 3.31 gear ratios.

Tom

Could you post the numbers on the end of the cam? Maybe a photo also?

I have an older Isky solid roller cam that I have installed in my Indy head 493 wedge. It is very small for a roller with 528 lift 240 dur 110 separation. I have a set of Howard's lifters that I'm planning on using. I think I will be OK with setting the lash tight and mild springs and keeping the RPM's to 6000. Sound like a good plan for a nice smooth street big block with a ton of low end torque ?
Thoughts ?

Gus
Sounds good to me. Most cam mfg spec springs to control valve float at what they estimate is the max rpm the cam could possibly see, combined with max valvetrain weight. So a liter spring could work, but I would speak to a few cam companies and get a bunch of input before I bought any. I assembled an engine for a customer with a solid roller and they wanted 250# on the seat and 600 or more at full lift, can't remember the exact max pressure. Just really hard on the valves and retainers. I recommended swapping locks and retainers every season or so for him, and valves every so often as well. That just beats a valve to death.

Unless you're using a Dana 61 you're not going to get anything taller than a 3.54 ratio for a Dana 60.

I use Dana 61's, so I can take advantage of the taller 3.07 & 3.31 gear ratios.

Tom
Doctordiff made a run of 3.23 gears for the 60. I got mine before the first batch ran out. I have heard he is having another run of gears made.

Specifically what spring pressure are you planing on running? Lift/duration aside it is the lobe design that will dictate the springressure/longevity. I would run and Isky 9905 os something close to that.
They are Comp 939 springs they measured 178# seat and 480# at .620 lift

Auto Transport Service
Back