• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some talk about investing in cars

SteveSS

Local time
3:58 PM
Reaction score
I watched a video last night but I can't find it to show you. I think it popped up for me because I frequently search "What Classic Cars to Buy Now." It was called something like why the 20-year rule in buying cars doesn't apply anymore. It was a chubby guy maybe not quite gay but a metrosexual. I didn't care, if he likes cars he's okay with me. I believe he was in the UK and he was mostly talking about buying exotic cars as an investment.

Without going into detail his points were, you won't be able to buy a new gasoline car in the UL by 2030. Normally you can watch the price of a Ferrari drop for about 20-25 years and then it bottoms out. At this point, buyers are making enough money to buy the car they lusted for as a teen at a discounted price. He said young people are not into driving/cars as we were, therefore there might not be as many buyers for a 2020 car that will age well for 20 years. Also, cars are lasting longer and there are many more made of any certain model.

Cars that will appreciate are the cars that are considered works of art. The super-rich will buy them, not drive them, and just be looked at. This will be a very small percentage of exotic cars. For the rest of the desirable cars, you should drive them and enjoy them because they won't go up much in value. He even was slamming the New Ford GTs saying they won't make the cut.

Now let's translate that over to our domestic car market. These are my takeaways and applied to the stuff we like. So, Maybe the Demon will hold its value or go up but the Hellcat Redeyes will be too common. Maybe the Shelby Mustang GT 500? The most badass C8 Corvette before they go electric? Probably not. Only the multi-million dollar gas cars will be considered art and be behind a glass enclosure.

Hell, the Motor Trend Car of the Year is an electric Lucid Air. MT is pushing EVs really hard in their issues. We can all remember in 1980 when muscle cars were considered dinosaurs and we all sold our stuff too cheap. My point is maybe today's cars won't make a comeback with the world trying hard to demonize gas cars.

I dunno. Your thoughts? Somebody find that stinkin' video of that dude wearing a coat next to a Ferrari.

The YouTube home page allows you to access your history. Click on that and you'll see it listed.

If I might suggest, those of you that own winged car, should consider selling.

I’m hoping to get my GTX on the road for one last blast.

The ‘20-yr rule’ has been busted for the last 5-7 years. It’s more like 10-15 year. Cars from 1998-2004 have been gaining values for years. Specifically GM F-Body and C5 Corvette. A low mile 02 TA WS6 stick car was under $15k 5 years ago, those are now touching $25-$30k. Only time will tell with the 2010 and newer cars.

I watched a video last night but I can't find it to show you. I think it popped up for me because I frequently search "What Classic Cars to Buy Now." It was called something like why the 20-year rule in buying cars doesn't apply anymore. It was a chubby guy maybe not quite gay but a metrosexual. I didn't care, if he likes cars he's okay with me. I believe he was in the UK and he was mostly talking about buying exotic cars as an investment.

Without going into detail his points were, you won't be able to buy a new gasoline car in the UL by 2030. Normally you can watch the price of a Ferrari drop for about 20-25 years and then it bottoms out. At this point, buyers are making enough money to buy the car they lusted for as a teen at a discounted price. He said young people are not into driving/cars as we were, therefore there might not be as many buyers for a 2020 car that will age well for 20 years. Also, cars are lasting longer and there are many more made of any certain model.

Cars that will appreciate are the cars that are considered works of art. The super-rich will buy them, not drive them, and just be looked at. This will be a very small percentage of exotic cars. For the rest of the desirable cars, you should drive them and enjoy them because they won't go up much in value. He even was slamming the New Ford GTs saying they won't make the cut.

Now let's translate that over to our domestic car market. These are my takeaways and applied to the stuff we like. So, Maybe the Demon will hold its value or go up but the Hellcat Redeyes will be too common. Maybe the Shelby Mustang GT 500? The most badass C8 Corvette before they go electric? Probably not. Only the multi-million dollar gas cars will be considered art and be behind a glass enclosure.

Hell, the Motor Trend Car of the Year is an electric Lucid Air. MT is pushing EVs really hard in their issues. We can all remember in 1980 when muscle cars were considered dinosaurs and we all sold our stuff too cheap. My point is maybe today's cars won't make a comeback with the world trying hard to demonize gas cars.

I dunno. Your thoughts? Somebody find that stinkin' video of that dude wearing a coat next to a Ferrari.
This one?

Idk. Thats one man's opinion.
I'm not drinking the Koolaid.
The huge push for electric cars will get scrapped with the Biden administration.
Potts

I hate to open a can of worms, but two things I love are cars and financial investments. Generally speaking, cars aren't good investments for long term growth. There is way too much risk/cost: picking the right car, taxes, insurance, storage for years, maintenance cost. The average person is much better taking that money an investing in the S&P 500.

Idk. Thats one man's opinion.
I'm not drinking the Koolaid.
The huge push for electric cars will get scrapped with the Biden administration.
Potts
Most young people don't care for cars or most things the way we do. This is slowly becoming their world not ours.

I hate to open a can of worms, but two things I love are cars and financial investments. Generally speaking, cars aren't good investments for long term growth. There is way too much risk/cost: picking the right car, taxes, insurance, storage for years, maintenance cost. The average person is much better taking that money an investing in the S&P 500.
I totally agree, if you can't afford to lose the money you have in your car or cars, you bought it for the wrong reason.

I have always had a toy, boats, lake homes, motorcycles, cars. I have no regrets. Like the market, I have no idea when these cars are going to stop going up like they have been. The bubble on housing broke before and we need homes, now a car is absolutely different.

I keep getting this feeling to get a 68 to 70 b body with modern drivetrain, i may be nuts but it somehow appeals to me.
My v code 70 gtx is probably the most dependable car i have ever owned but I think the price on it will dive soon,

At 72 years I'm not worried about investing in cars. There's a few shoulda coulda's, the big one was a 69 Boss 429 that I knew was in a barn. Guy sold it for $15k had about 25k miles.He took the motor to have it modified and ran out of money. It sat until 2002 when he sold it.

I think the coming changes in auto technology (power and driverless / driver assist) are going to upset all previous thoughts about auto investments. Only the rarest and most desirable of the collector cars are likely to hold value or appreciate.

One reason desirable Mopars are getting too rich for the little guy.

F1424B66-F4FC-4AFB-A694-15C03F861DFB.png

Auto Transport Service
Back