• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Somebody needs to save this 68 charger from becoming a restomod (for sale, not mine)

Someone’s on crack, sounds like the seller was bidding on his own posting, we’ll see it relisted pretty soon.

We all have opinions.
To me, a 318 car isn't necessarily worthy of a "numbers matching" OEM correct restoration unless one really wants to go that route. Dave Walden did it with a 4 door Valiant (Maybe it was a slant six car? Not sure)
The Chargers are highly valued right now but that may change. Awhile back, it was the 70-71 Barracuda/Cuda that was the top dog.
People took 318 cars and made HEMI clones, 440-6 clones, etc.
I'll admit, I'm not a rabid fan of the ultra high dollar restomods like these:

1 MC 1.jpg

CF 2.JPG

Evo 2.jpg

HR Charger 6.jpg

While I like to see these cars in shiny paint, I prefer to see stock-ish interiors and absolutely NO radical body modifications. A few years back there was a green '69 Charger that was done by the Ring Brothers. It had some weird custom work where the area between the rear wheel openings and taillight panel was shortened...

RB 2.png

They cut almost 3 inches out where the bumblebee stripe is. Notice how short it is at the base of the C pillar to the end of the quarter.
The front wheel openings were moved forward several inches.....

RB 1.png

...and they did some weird rocker panel work forward of the doors.
Most Mopar guys would sense something out of place but one familiar with the Chargers knew what was wrong with it.
I hate to echo the words of the purists BUT the 68-70 Charger is and was almost perfect in design. Just about every attempt at improving it fails miserably.
Just one man's opinion, of course.

Last edited:
Everyone around me “I wouldn’t turn that real RT car in to a Restomod” me…

4019D6CA-6DF8-46F5-9D56-F3AD53F10DBF.jpeg

22B0A7C0-5D95-42BF-B020-F515BEB2EC62.jpeg

2570DF39-4D87-4482-BACA-55A3F2FAD105.jpeg

702D4BDB-4511-469D-AB19-955EEE06E8FC.jpeg

75 grand will need to be put into this car whether you keep it all stock or go the restomod route. The difference is that if you kept it stock with a 318, you’ll have far more money in it than it is worth. By making it a quality built restomod, you’ll probably break even.
That's the way I see it. My car is worth more now because of the fact, that it is what it is. Sometimes daring to be different is the spice of life. If everyone's going to wear black shoes, you can bet, I'm showing up in brown.......... How you train for daring. You get out of your box and jump into the triangle. JMO

resto or restored , it needs fixed up . we all can agree on that . in what direction the finished car goes is all up to the guy who writes the check . it does look like a good chunk of change to get it back in shape .

We all have opinions.
To me, a 318 car isn't necessarily worthy of a "numbers matching" OEM correct restoration unless one really wants to go that route. Dave Walden did it with a 4 door Valiant (Maybe it was a slant six car? Not sure)
The Chargers are highly valued right now but that may change. Awhile back, it was the 70-71 Barracuda/Cuda that was the top dog.
People took 318 cars and made HEMI clones, 440-6 clones, etc.
I'll admit, I'm not a rabid fan of the ultra high dollar restomods like these:

View attachment 1615527

View attachment 1615528

View attachment 1615529

View attachment 1615530

While I like to see these cars in shiny paint, I prefer to see stock-ish interiors and absolutely NO radical body modifications. A few years back there was a green '69 Charger that was done by the Ring Brothers. It had some weird custom work where the area between the rear wheel openings and taillight panel was shortened...

View attachment 1615551

They cut almost 3 inches out where the bumblebee stripe is. Notice how short it is at the base of the C pillar to the end of the quarter.
The front wheel openings were moved forward several inches.....

View attachment 1615550

...and they did some weird rocker panel work forward of the doors.
Most Mopar guys would sense something out of place but one familiar with the Chargers knew what was wrong with it.
I hate to echo the words of the purists BUT the 68-70 Charger is and was almost perfect in design. Just about every attempt at improving it fails miserably.
Just one man's opinion, of course.
They ruined that green Charger,by modifying the proportions.and the wheels make me want to vomit violently!

As long as i don't need big power
BAN this man!!!! He obviously doesn't have the Mopar soul...:lol:

The difference is that if you kept it stock with a 318, you’ll have far more money in it than it is worth. By making it a quality built restomod, you’ll probably break even.
...and have a hell of a lot more fun with it! Unless of course you aren't interested in actually driving it....

318-powered-anything isn't worth going the "OEM" route as far as I'm concerned unless it's in nice condition already and you just want to keep things original.

Otherwise, it's a blank slate fer hotrodd'n........

I like cars to look fairly stock, at least exterior wise... Wheels, tires and stance can make or break a car.... I mostly run 15's but don't mind 17's or if there's still sidewall on the tires some 18's can look good....... Engine/trans/suspension & brakes modify it to drive well... Interior? Mostly stock, better seats if they have a proper "Look" If they look to modern I'm not a fan.. The more stock looking Dakota Digital stuff is cool, but I prefer OE...

I like cars to look fairly stock, at least exterior wise... Wheels, tires and stance can make or break a car.... I mostly run 15's but don't mind 17's or if there's still sidewall on the tires some 18's can look good....... Engine/trans/suspension & brakes modify it to drive well... Interior? Mostly stock, better seats if they have a proper "Look" If they look to modern I'm not a fan.. The more stock looking Dakota Digital stuff is cool, but I prefer OE...
Me too.
One day I hope to get around to replacing my '03 Stratus buckets with some more period-correct ones, then the interior will have the complete old-school look I'm after. Won't be near as comfortable to drive but oh well....they'll look better sitting still!:rolleyes:

. The more stock looking Dakota Digital stuff is cool, but I prefer OE...
Ooof. Those guys….
I bought my gauges from them and they do look and work well BUT…
They later came out with a cluster using a more factory appearing design and implemented other changes that preclude people from just buying the instrument panel. To use the new design, everything has to be switched… wiring, sensors and the hard drive.

Ooof. Those guys….
I bought my gauges from them and they do look and work well BUT…
They later came out with a cluster using a more factory appearing design and implemented other changes that preclude people from just buying the instrument panel. To use the new design, everything has to be switched… wiring, sensors and the hard drive.
Put the older digital dash in your other Charger,and upgrade the red cars dash! That's the beauty of having more than one Charger!

Auto Transport Service
Back